These 31 Summer Cookout Side Dishes are all perfect for your next party, BBQ, tailgate or picnic. Easy to make, easy to share and delicious to eat, check out below for some great side dish recipe ideas for your next cookout! We’ve got everything from Fruit and Vegetable dishes to Pasta Salads and Potato Salads!
ALSO BE SURE TO CHECK OUT:
What Makes A Great Summer Side Dish?
When thinking about recipes to bring to a cookout or BBQ, what are some important things to consider?
- WHAT IS THE MAIN COURSE?- Some of these side dishes have meat in them. If your main course is heavy on the meat (as a lot of BBQs are!) you may not want to choose one of these. In this case, I’d love to bring along a simpler pasta salad or potato salad. Or even a lighter fruit salad.
- WHERE IS THE COOKOUT AT?– Are hosting the party or traveling to some else’s house? Is this a tailgating party in a parking lot? Will there be a refrigerator or cooler available to keep your side dish cool if needed? Electricity to plug in your slow cooker?
- IS THERE A THEME TO THE PARTY?- Are you celebrating Cinco De Mayo? Then this Mexican Street Corn Salad or Mexican Fruit Salad would be perfect! Is it a Luau or tropical themed party? Then you may want to consider this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad or Hawaiian Cheesecake Salad! A side dish a fun and easy way to add a little flair and flavor to any themed party to make it even more fun!
- ARE THERE ANY DIETARY RESTRICTIONS?- Often, some people at your Cookout may be vegetarians, vegans or be practicing a gluten free, Keto or Whole30 diet. Sometimes, eating side dishes may be their only choices if the main course doesn’t jive with their eating practices. So bringing something like this Grilled Vegetable Salad or this Corn and Tomato Salad would a perfect, safe choice!
Otherwise, swing for the fences on your side dish! A lot of times, the side dish is my favorite part of the meal, especially when it’s something a little different or new! If you are looking for some inspiration, check out some of my ideas below!
33 Fun and Easy Cookout Side Dishes
- GEORGIA CRACKER SALAD– This Georgia Cracker Salad is a traditional Southern classic recipe! Also called a Tomato Cracker Salad, it has just a handful of ingredients and only takes minutes to throw together.
- FIESTA CORN DIP– Looking for a quick and easy party dip for your next gathering? This Slow Cooker Fiesta Corn Dip only has 4 ingredients! Creamy, cheesy with just the right amount of spice, you can also add more ingredients to tweak it however you want!
- CLASSIC CREAMED PEAS– This classic recipe for Creamed Peas is as easy as it gets! Ready in minutes, frozen peas are cooked on your stovetop in a creamy, white sauce for a deliciously smooth and slightly sweet old fashioned cookout side dish!
- PINEAPPLE SOUFFLE– Perfect as a side dish or a dessert, this Easy Pineapple Souffle has only a handful of ingredients and is ready to go in your oven in just minutes! Great as a side dish for your Easter Ham, it’s a fun, new recipe to share with friends and family!
- PEA SALAD– This Classic Pea Salad Recipe is a classic, simple side dish that will feel at home next to just about any main! Great for picnics, pitch ins and potlucks, the sweet peas combine perfectly with salty bacon in a creamy mayonnaise dressing!
- CREAMED SPINACH– This Creamed Spinach is a classic homemade side dish recipe that works for just about any occasion, from the Holidays to a weeknight family meal to a summer cookout!
- ZUCCHINI CORN FRITTERS– These Zucchini Corn Fritters are a sweet and savory pancake that works great as a side dish or an appetizer. Healthy, vegetarian friendly and tasty, they are easy to make and go great with just about any meal!
- CREAM CHEESE CORN CASSEROLE– This Corn Casserole with Cream Cheese is a quick and easy side dish for any occasion and one of our favorite cookout side dishes. Corn is baked to bubbly perfection in a mixture of cream cheese, milk and bacon and then topped with sharp cheddar cheese. It’s comfort food at it’s best!
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD– This Brussels Sprout Salad is full of vibrant colors, textures and nutritious goodies! Shredded Brussels Sprouts are tossed in a homemade honey mustard with bacon, cranberries, sliced almonds and feta cheese. This would go great with some BBQ fresh off the grill! Simple, quick and delicious.
- GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE– This Campbell’s Green Bean Casserole is made with just five ingredients and will make the perfect side dish for holidays or summer cookouts.
- ARKANSAS GREEN BEANS– These Arkansas Green Beans have just about all of my favorite things in one side dish! Bacon, Brown Sugar, Garlic, Butter and Soy Sauce are all baked into these Green Beans for a dish that is seriously addictive!
- BACON WRAPPED GREEN BEANS– Oh, Bacon Wrapped Green Beans, where have you been all my life? These fresh Green Beans are coated in olive oil and seasonings then wrapped in Bacon coated with Maple Syrup. Roast them all in the oven and you will have a Green Bean Recipe that will wow your guests during Thanksgiving, the Holidays or a cookout.
- OVEN ROASTED GREEN BEANS– These Oven Roasted Green Beans a super simple to make and only take 4 ingredients. Perfect for a BBQ side dish, these Green Beans are baked in the oven with some Olive Oil, Parmesan Cheese and Fresh Garlic.
- SPICY GREEN BEANS– Looking for a new to serve a Classic Vegetable Side Dish? Check out these Spicy Green Beans! This is our take on a famous P.F. Chang’s Recipe. We made this super simple and easy to make. And, boy, do they have some heat!
- HAWAIIAN MACARONI SALAD– Bring a taste of island tropics with with Hawaiian Macaroni Salad. Creamy and light, it is perfect for cookouts and pitch-ins. This recipe makes plenty to feed a crowd! Tender elbow macaroni, crispy carrots and celery mixed in with a light dressing. This traditional Hawaiian Dish is simple yet delicious!
- SOUTHWEST PASTA SALAD– This Southwest Pasta Salad adds some Tex-Mex fun to your picnic, cookout or pitch in. Tender pasta is paired with tons of fresh veggies and a chili lime dressing adds the perfect amount of spicy zing! It’s a great vegetarian side dish and can easily be made vegan too!
- BACON RANCH PASTA SALAD– This Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad is going to be your new favorite side dish for cookouts, BBQs and tailgating parties. Tender pasta is combined with crunchy bacon and a ranch sauce for a taste that is seriously addictive!
- CORN AND TOMATO SALAD– This fresh blend of corn, tomatoes, red onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and other seasonings will be your new go-to summer salad! This Corn and Tomato Salad is great for parties, picnics and cookouts!
- CAJUN DEVILED EGGS– These Cajun Deviled Eggs put a fun and spicy twist on this classic recipe. Red bell peppers and cajun spices team make these hors d’oeuvres an appetizer or side dish to remember!
- MACARONI SALAD WITH HAM AND CHEESE– This classic recipe for a Ham and Cheese Macaroni Salad is just the thing for any occasion from picnics to potlucks. Tender pasta is mixed with salty ham, crunchy vegetables and soft cheddar cheese. It is all covered with a smooth, tangy mayonnaise dressing.
- CLASSIC CREAMED CORN– This Classic Creamed Corn Recipe is the perfect side dish for just about any occasion. From a summer cookout with friends to a Holiday celebration with loved one, this easy side dish can be ready in just minutes!
- SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HAM AND CHEESE– An easy, cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham recipe that will be a crowd favorite. Perfect for a dinner or as a side dish for a family meal or a cookout, this classic casserole is super simple to make.
- POTATOES AU GRATIN– This easy Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe mixes butter, onion, potatoes and cheese into a creamy casserole dish that is the perfect side dish for Easter or your next BBQ.
- ROASTED RANCH POTATOES– These Roasted Ranch Potatoes are the perfect side dish for any occasion. From a casual weeknight dinner to a fancy holiday feast to a summer cookout recipe, this combination of red potatoes, ranch and olive oil will be sure to make everyone go back for seconds!
- GRILLED VEGETABLE SALAD– Healthy, delicious and full of summer flavor, this Grilled Vegetable Salad is perfect for anything from cookouts to family dinners. All tossed in our homemade lemon vinaigrette, eating your veggies has never been tastier! Vegetarian, Keto, Whole 30 and Vegan with just a couple of tweaks!
- SCALLOPED POTATOES– This easy recipe for Scalloped Potatoes can all be made in one skillet and baked in your casserole dish. Butter, onion, garlic, milk and potatoes team up for this tasty side dish that is great for your next outdoor gathering!
- MACARONI CORN CASSEROLE– This easy Macaroni Corn Casserole Recipe uses tender elbow macaroni mixed with corn, creamed corn and velveeta cheese for a perfect family dinner that everyone will love. It would also make a great recipe to feed larger crowds like potlucks or pitch-in! This casserole dish is baked in the oven to cheesy, bubbly perfection!
- EASY ROTINI PASTA SALAD– This easy Rotini Pasta Salad is a great cold pasta salad recipe that is made with fresh vegetables, savory pepperoni and Italian Dressing. It is a perfect side dish for pitch-ins, cookouts or tailgate parties!
- MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD– Light, fresh and bursting with authentic flavor, this Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe is a healthy alternative to Taco Tuesday or a great idea for your Cinco De Mayo Party!
- MEXICAN FRUIT SALAD– Mexican Fruit Salad – This easy, healthy, summer recipe is perfect for a party or a backyard BBQ. Filled with chunks of fresh fruit and a little chili seasoning, this salad will be a hit with the crowd.
- POTATO SALAD WITH EGG– This easy potato salad with egg recipe is a classic favorite, loaded with flavor and perfect for any picnic.
- CROCKPOT CHEESY POTATOES– Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes are so easy to make. We made ours with hashbrowns in our slow cooker and it tastes delicious. Perfect for a crowd.
- HAWAIIAN CHEESECAKE SALAD– This easy Hawaiian Cheesecake Salad Recipe mixes exotic tropical fruit with a delicious creamy cheesecake filling. This recipe is so quick and easy and only used a handful of ingredients to transport your taste buds to your very own Hawaiian paradise!