This Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is full of vibrant colors, textures and nutritious goodies! Shredded Brussels Sprouts are tossed in a homemade honey mustard with bacon, cranberries, sliced almonds and feta cheese. Simple, quick and delicious. This is a great salad full of Fall flavors that would fit in perfectly on your Thanksgiving table as a healthy side dish!
Why You Will Love Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad
- HEALTHY – This Brussel Sprouts Salad makes the perfect holiday side dish. But we know that a lot of those side dishes can a little rich. This recipe is full of fall flavors but is light and nutritious at the same time!
- NEW RECIPE – We bet if you put this out on your Thanksgiving table, you’ll have your guests “wowing” over this new dish they may have never seen before!
Can You Eat Raw Brussel Sprouts?
Absolutely! They are actually delicious when shaved thin and combined with all the fixings and dressing. You don’t even need to be a Brussel Sprout fan to love this salad!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts are actually an awesome ingredient to use in place of lettuce in salads. They have a nice, rich texture and they really hold up well to salad dressings. It takes them much longer to get all soggy when being served. So this is a great salad to make ahead of time for those busy holiday prep times!
Brussels Sprout Salad
Now that summer is ending and we are headed into the Fall season, we love to take a look at some classic flavors for this time of year. Yes, I believe that Brussels Sprouts are great any time of year, but I always think of chilly Autumn days when I think of this vegetable. So, we thought it would be fun to share a recipe featuring Brussels Sprouts. And we’ve add some ingredients that I think makes this a great idea for a Thanksgiving salad.
Ready to get started? For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. Here is what you will need to make Brussels Sprout Salad:
For The Salad
- BRUSSEL SPROUTS – You want really fresh, green Brussels Sprouts for this recipe.
- BACON – I’d use thinner bacon for this recipe. You want it to get nice and crispy.
- DRIED CRANBERRIES – Gives a burst of sweet flavor and color to the salad.
- ALMONDS – Sliced. Adds a nice crunch and a little saltiness.
- FETA CHEESE – A soft cheese that crumbles nicely on this salad. You can also use any goat cheese.
Other than that, you can use store bought dressing or make your own Honey Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing with the recipe below.
What Is The Best Way To Shave Brussels Sprouts?
Well, first of all, some stores to sell bags of Brussels Sprouts already shaved. If you can find these, grab them! It will save you some time! I could NOT find any in my store, so I had to shave some Fresh Brussels Sprouts. This probably did give me a fresher tasting salad, but it did cost me some time. It’s all a balance, right?
If you have to shave your own Brussels Sprouts, you have three options:
- Mandoline: Be careful! These things make me nervous, especially with something as small as a Brussels Sprout. I’d use a fork to stick it in the Brussels Sprout to run it over the Mandoline.
- Food Processor: Most have an attachment that lets you slice your veggies. This is the method I used. It is VERY quick, although this is another appliance to clean up.
- A Knife: You will need to use a very sharp knife for this. Again, please be careful!
Brussels Sprout Salad: Notes, Tips and Variations
- FUN ADDITIONS- Salads are fun because you add and subtract ingredients to your desired taste without compromising the recipe. So fun ideas to add to this salad would be Apples, Pomegranate seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Parmesan Cheese or Red Onions. You could also use other nuts such as Walnuts or Pecans instead of Almonds.
- MAKE AHEAD OF TIME- This is a great salad to make ahead of time if you are going to be busy the day you plan to serve it. Just make the salad and the dressing, but don’t mix them together. Keep them in separate air tight containers in your refrigerator. Toss together just before serving.
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE- This is important, especially when making your own dressings. Slowly add salt and/or pepper to your dressing and taste it as you go. A little salt can really make your dressing shine!
Tools To Help With This Recipe
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Brussels Sprout Salad! I think it would make a great Thanksgiving Recipe this Fall, but honestly it would taste great any time of year. Thanks for reading!
Brussels Sprouts Salad
For The Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs Brussels Sprouts Shaved
- 6 Slices Bacon
- 1/4 Cups Dried Cranberries
- 2/3 Cups Sliced Almonds
- 4 oz Feta Cheese
For The Dressing
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Cook Bacon in desired way until extra crispy. Cut Bacon into small pieces.
- Cut stems of Brussels Sprouts and shred if not already shredded.
- In a medium bowl, mix together Dressing Ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, add Bacon, Dried Cranberries, Sliced Almonds and Feta Cheese. Toss ingredients with the dressing. Serve immediately.
Leave A Reply!