Bring a taste of island tropics with with Hawaiian Macaroni Salad. Creamy and light, it is perfect for cookouts and pitch-ins. This recipe makes plenty to feed a crowd! Tender elbow macaroni, crispy carrots and celery mixed in with a light dressing. This traditional Hawaiian Dish is simple yet delicious!
LOOKING FOR MORE HAWAIIAN FLAVORS? CHECK OUT OUR HAWAIIAN CHEESECAKE RECIPE!
Pasta Salad Recipes
I don’t know, maybe it is the warm weather of the summer, but I’ve been ALL ABOUT pasta salad recipes lately. It had never occurred to me that there are so many fun ones out there. But I’ve made and shared some really cool pasta salad recipes lately. This Southwest Pasta Salad has fresh avocado, corn and black beans, mixed in with a zesty Tex-Mex dressing. And this Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad has… ummm… Bacon. And Ranch! Do I even need to say anything more?!?! And one of my favorites is this Cowboy Pasta Salad. Thick, hearty and ready to feed an army, it has just about everything but the kitchen sink in it!
Today, I want to share one more fun Pasta Salad Recipe with you. This is a classic, traditional recipe from our 50th State. From what I hear, they take this recipe very seriously down there, so I hope my versioni does it justice! Introducing our Hawaiian Macaroni Salad.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
So, what is a Hawaiian Pasta Salad? It’s a classic dish that has been made for generations down there in the Pacific Ocean. And, no, it doesn’t have ham and pineapple in it. Don’t even ask that question from a Hawaiian, you’d be kicked out of the restaurant.
What I love about this salad is how simple it is. At it’s basic, it is just Macaroni, Carrots, Mayonnaise, Salt and Pepper. There are a couple things that I think you can get away with adding, and I’ve pressed the envelope a little to add some color, flavor and texture. Most notably, I added some diced celery and green onions. I also made a couple other additions, such as adding a little brown sugar and tossing my macaroni in Apple Cider Vinegar.
What Ingredients Do You Need For Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Here are the ingredients that you will need to get started:
- Elbow Macaroni
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Whole Milk
- Brown Sugar
- Green Onions (chopped)
- Celery (chopped)
Storing the Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Store in your refrigerator covered tightly with Saran Wrap or another plastic cling wrap. Or in a tupperware. It should be good in your fridge for up to 5 days.
I wouldn’t freeze this Pasta Salad Recipe. I just don’t think the pasta would hold up very well to being thawed out.
Notes, Tips and Variations
I was so surprised at how delicious this turned out even after just a few, simple and common ingredients. I really wouldn’t tweak this at all. But I do have a couple tips and suggestions:
- Easy But Not Fast– While this recipe is super simple, that doesn’t mean that it’s “quick and fast”. Pasta Salads take at least 2 hours to “set” and have all the flavors infuse with the noodles. I’d actually aim for more than 2 hours if possible. So make sure you are giving yourself time to prepare this side dish.
- Stick With Macaroni?- It seems that the traditional way to make this dish is always been with Elbow Macaroni. So, could substitute a different kind of pasta? Sure, I don’t see why not. I’m not sure if you could legitimately call it a Hawaiian Pasta Salad or not, but who cares? I think a Bow Tie Pasta or Rotini would be delicious!
- Cook The Pasta Thoroughly- As with many Pasta Salad Recipes, you want to make sure your pasta is cooked well enough to stand up to the dressing it will be soaking in for the next couple days. Don’t take it out until it is nice and firm!
- Apple Cider Vinegar– Some recipes call for this, some don’t. Some use only 2 tbsp and some as much as half a cup. I think our 1/4 cup measurement is the perfect amount. It adds a nice dimension to the flavor and helps the pasta absorb the dressing. Don’t be shy, add it in right after the pasta is done cooking and is strained.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Hawaiian Macaroni Salad. Please let me know how it turns out in the comments below. Enjoy!
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Celery chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
Cook Elbow Macaroni until it is nice and firm, just a tad overdone.
While pasta is cooking, chop celery, green onions and shred carrots.
Mix together Mayonnaise, Milk, Brown Sugar, Salt and Pepper.
Once pasta is cooked and drained, pour into a large bowl and toss with Apple Cider Vinegar.
Let set for at least 20 minutes and then add Dressing.
When Pasta cools further to room temperature, add Celery, Carrots and Green Onions.
Cover and put in refrigerator for at least two hours.