Finding The Perfect Side Dish Recipe
What Can You Make With Potatoes?
I”ve noticed that many side dish recipes have the potato as the star of the dish. There are just so many things that you can do with a potato and there are several different kinds of potatoes that all have their merits. From Sweet Potatoes to Red Potatoes to Mashed Potatoes!
But I’ve always had a soft spot for Hash Browns. They are crispy and soft at the same time, with just the right amount of saltiness. Yum! So, we thought we’d share a recipe that features Hash Browns as the ingredient for this side dish. Introducing, our Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes Recipe! With only a few ingredients and a couple minutes to prepare, it’s almost unfair how full of delicious flavor this has!
Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes
I love these Cheesy Potatoes because you can make them in your Slow Cooker. They are sort of a Crock Pot Version of Funeral Potatoes. This means they are SO easy to prepare and will always come out cooked perfectly. And another awesome thing about Crockpots is that they will travel well to wherever you need to bring them! This Cheesy Potato Casserole could be a perfect side dish for the Holidays, including Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas!
Not only are they great to bring to social gatherings, they can also make an easy side dish for family weeknight dinners! And you’ll probably have leftovers for lunch tomorrow! For step-by-step instructions, read the printable recipe card below. But here are the ingredients you’ll need to get started:
- FROZEN POTATOES – You can use frozen hash browns or frozen diced potatoes. If you use hash browns, they will cook a little softer, while the diced potatoes will be a little firmer. Either are fine, it’s all about preference.
- SOUR CREAM – You can use light or reduced fat sour cream or regular sour cream.
- CREAM OF POTATO SOUP – You can probably substitute and “Cream of..” Soup that you want. Cream of Chicken Soup or Cream of Mushroom Soup would work.
- CHEDDAR CHEESE – We recommend shredding your own cheese rather than buying the pre-shredded cheese at the store. Shredding your own cheese melts much better after your sprinkle it into the recipe.
- MILK – 2% milk is what we used. But you can use Skim or Whole Milk.
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – Optional. To taste.
Can You Make This Dish Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! That is the awesome thing about Crockpots, you can make your dish earlier and just keep it on warm until you are ready to serve it! In fact, I’d advise getting a head start on this recipe. While it is easy, it is not “quick”. You’ll need at least 4 hours in the Slow Cooker to get them cooked properly.
Can I Use Homemade Hash Browns Instead of Frozen?
You probably could do this. Frozen Hash Browns are often dryer than fresh homemade raw potatoes. So, I’d be a little concerned about this. I’d get my homemade hash browns patted down as much as possible before adding them. You could use a cheese cloth if you have one. If your recipe is looking a little dry during the cooking process, you can always add a little water or more milk!
You can also just dice up a fresh potato if you would like to. But, obviously, depending on how small you dice them, it may take a bit longer to cook.
How To Make Crock Pot Potatoes with Cheese
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. Just take a large bowl and mix in your ingredients. Stir them up to make sure they are completely combined. Grease your crock pot and then put in your cheesy potato mix and cook on low for 4 hours. These slow cooker cheesy potatoes are the perfect side dish for any occasion that the whole crowd will love!
Storage, leftovers and freezing
Store leftovers in your refrigerator in an airtight container. Leftovers should be good in your fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
I would not freeze these Cheesy Potatoes.
What Are Some Other Good Hash Brown Recipes?
I never realized that hashbrowns not only taste delicious by themselves, they actually make a really awesome ingredient in other dishes.
Other Notes and Variations
When you have cheese and potatoes together as the base of your dish, there are so many things you can do to give it a little extra flair if you want to:
- SUBSTITUTE CHEESE – Try another cheese? Maybe mix in a little shredded swiss cheese or some pepper jack?
- ADD PROTEIN! – Some nice bits of crispy bacon folded in would be unbelievable. Just add them after they are finished cooking. Or, you could throw in some cubed ham!
- HOW CAN YOU MAKE THIS DISH LIGHTER? – You can use low fat milk and cheese if you need to shave off some calories.
- ADD ONION – Do you like onion? Dice up 1/2 cup of onion and add this to your Crock Pot.
- TOPPINGS – Before serving, top with Green Onions, Crushed Potato Chips, Crushed buttery crackers or more cheese!
This recipe is also perfect as a Thanksgiving side dish, you can use your slow cooker and not take up much needed space on the stove or in the oven!
I hope you enjoy this Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes Recipe. Let me know how it turns out in the comments!
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- 30 oz frozen hash browns
- 16 oz sour cream
- 10.75 oz condensed cream of potato soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- Generously grease a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, sour cream, soup, cheddar cheese and milk. Mix well. Spoon into prepared crock and heat on low for 4 hours.