This Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe is a classic homemade side dish recipe that works for just about any occasion, from the Holidays to a weeknight family meal!
Why You Will Love Creamed Spinach
- DELICIOUS – Even if you aren’t a huge fan of Spinach (disclaimer: I LOVE spinach) you will love this recipe. It’s creamy, rich, silky and smooth and full of flavor! I promise you won’t even consider this a “Spinach” dish after you’ve tried it.
- SIMPLE, EASY RECIPE – I love that it’s packed with basic, wholesome, hearty and homemade ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen! And it’s something that you can stir together in minutes.
- PERFECT FOR THE HOLIDAYS – It’s a popular Holiday Side Dish, but it’s really at home on your dinner table anytime during the year! And it’s a Low Carb dish too, so it’s great if you are trying to reduce carbohydrates.
How To Make Creamed Spinach
Simple, easy ingredients! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- BUTTER – We usd unsalted butter. We will be adding salt later. For this recipe, we recommend using a high quality butter.
- FLOUR – To thicken up our sauce. To keep this dish Gluten Free, try using this Gluten-Free Flour.
- DICED ONION – We like using yellow onions for their sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use red onions if you’d like.
- GARLIC – Minced. You can either mince your own fresh garlic, or use the stuff that comes in a jar.
- MILK – We used whole milk for this recipe.
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – To taste.
- GROUND NUTMEG – Just a pinch to add some depth of flavor.
- SPINACH – We recommend using fresh spinach for this recipe. Read below to learn about using frozen spinach.
What To Serve With Creamed Spinach
Creamed Spinach Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- CAN YOU USE FROZEN SPINACH?– Yep! You sure can. Just make sure you thaw it out and get as much moisture out as possible. You can thaw frozen spinach pretty quickly by running it under warm water. Make sure you drain it, squeeze it and pat it with a paper towel.
- MAKE IT EXTRA CREAMY?- We used whole milk for this recipe. You can sub for half and half or even heavy cream to make this dish even creamier. Obviously, the scale in your bathroom may not appreciate this substitution, but your taste buds will. I would not sub for anything “skinnier” than whole milk in this recipe (2%, non-fat, etc.. ).
- SALT AND PEPPER- This is one of those recipes that when we say “salt and pepper to taste” we really mean it. Putting the right amount of salt and pepper in this dish can really make it shine. So, don’t be shy about tasting it as you are seasoning it!
- LEFTOVERS?– Keep leftovers in your refrigerator in an airtight container. Reheat them in the microwave. It’s great to throw leftovers into some pasta! I would not freeze this recipe.
- GARNISH – This recipe is great to top with cheeses. Parmesan cheese would be delicious!
- ADD HEAT – Some people like to add a pinch of cayenne pepper to this dish to add a little kick!
Tools To Help With This Recipe
I hope you enjoy this Creamed Spinach Recipe. Let me know how it turns out in the comments below! Happy Eating!
ALSO BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR:
- 1/2 stick 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package 8 oz, fresh spinach
- Add butter and flour to a skillet and heat until hot and thick, about 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add milk and heat on low, whisking frequently until thickened. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- In a separate skillet, add butter and spinach and heat until wilted.
- Add to the cream mixture and mix well. Cook on low until heated through. Serve immediately.