This Banana Baked Oatmeal is an easy, delicious breakfast recipe full of simple, authentic ingredients. This Oatmeal Bake is sweetened with bananas and brown sugar and topped with Chocolate Chips to get your day started off right!
Why You Will Love Banana Baked Oatmeal
- EASY – Just mix all the ingredients together, put it in a baking dish and let your oven give you a delicious, wholesome breakfast.
- MAKE AHEAD MEAL – This is a great dish to make the night before, for a quick breakfast in the morning. Or, make a batch on Sunday night so you’ll have a nutritious breakfast throughout the week!
- DELICIOUS – Bananas, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, oats and chocolate chips… all baked together for a warm, comforting meal full of wholesome flavor. Do I have your attention yet!
What Is Banana Baked Oatmeal?
So, what exactly is Banana Baked Oatmeal? If you want to picture it, picture an exact cross between banana bread and traditional oatmeal. It’s a moist baked oatmeal recipe with a soft texture and hints cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla and of course, bananas.
And, to add a little sweet spot to this recipe, we went ahead and added Chocolate Chips to this recipe Because we LOVE chocolate chips! And, even more, we LOVE Chocolate Chips and Banana together!
Ready to get started? Here is what you’ll need:
- BANANAS – You want very ripe bananas.
- BROWN SUGAR
- EGGS – Large eggs. For best results, bring them to room temperature.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – We believe in using quality vanilla extract for all our baking recipe.
- BAKING POWDER – A leavening agent that will help give this recipe is soft texture.
- SALT – Salt is always important to bake with, as it balances out the sweet ingredients.
- CINNAMON – Because cinnamon and bananas taste INCREDIBLE together!
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you could use reduced fat milk if you’d like. If you are looking to be dairy free, you can also use almond milk.
- OLD FASHIONED OATS – It is best to use old fashioned oats for this recipe. Read below for more info on the oats. If you need this recipe to be gluten free, you can also use gluten-free oats.
- MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS – You can also use regular sized chocolate chips. Or omit the chocolate chips altogether.
How To Serve Banana Baked Oatmeal
You can serve this dish either hot or cold. It tastes great either way. You can also eat it just how it is or pour some cold milk over it. I think this would make an extra special treat to pour CHOCOLATE milk over it! Yum!
Can You Freeze Baked Oatmeal?
Yep! This dish is super freezer friendly. I like to cut mine into individual serving portions before freezing, so I can just take out what I need to thaw. They should be good in the freezer for up to 3 months. We love to use these freezer bags, they are strong, sturdy and have nifty little tabs to help open them! Otherwise, store this dish in your fridge and it will be good for about 5 days. You can reheat it in the microwave.
Can You Bake Steel Cut Oats?
I’m pretty sure you can’t Steel Cut Oats. Or, rather, if you can, you’ll need to soak them first. I haven’t done this, and from what I’ve read, it’s not advised.
Quick Oats are cut finer, and so they should cook faster than Steel Cut. But the fine texture will most likely alter the texture of your banana baked oatmeal.
Other Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- USE RIPE BANANAS: You want to make sure that you use nice, ripe bananas to really get the sweetness from them. They should be soft and have a large amount of brown spots on them.
- MAKE ON SUNDAYS: If you like to meal prep, this is a great recipe to make on Sundays so you can have a quick, tasty breakfast in the morning with no hassle! And you can cut the banana baked oatmeal into whatever sized slices you need for individual portions.
- ADD ONS: Some suggestions to add to this recipe would be unsweetened shredded coconut, peanut butter, or nuts such as walnuts, almonds or pecans.
- TOPPINGS: We topped ours with chocolate chips (which is awesome) but you could also top yours with some fresh bananas and fresh blueberries. Or drizzle some warm maple syrup or honey on top.
- CASSEROLE DISH: Looking for a new baking dish? We love this one because it comes with a lid, so you can just cover it up and keep all the leftovers right in there to stick in your fridge!
Other Banana And Breakfast Recipes You May Like
If you’re looking for some more delicious recipes that feature breakfast banana, or some yummy breakfast treats, check out some of these!
- APPLE BANANA BREAD
- BANANA PUDDING POKE CAKE
- BANANA ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
- BANANA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- STRAWBERRY BANANA MUFFINS
- BISQUICK CINNAMON ROLLS
- BISQUICK COFFEE CAKE
- BREAKFAST LEMON MUFFINS
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAKFAST MUFFINS
- CINNAMON ROLL FRENCH TOAST BAKE
We hope you love this recipe for Banana Baked Oatmeal. Please let us know how it turns out in the comments section! Happy eating!
Banana Baked Oatmeal
- 3 large bananas mashed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed banana, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Add the milk and whisk to mix.
- Stir in the oats.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the oatmeal.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.