This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe comes out delicious and moist everytime! Full of bananas and perfectly melted chocolate chips, it’s perfect as a breakfast treat, midday snack or dessert!
Why You Will Love Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- HOMEMADE AND WHOLESOME: Sure, this is a breakfast treat. But making this homemade without any additives or preservatives is so much better than buying anything at the store. And it really is a simple, easy and quick recipe!
- PERFECT FOR ANY OCCASION: I love recipes that can serve multiple purposes. Something that can be breakfast, dessert or even a midday snack is well worth making in my kitchen. This is even more true if it is something that is incredibly tasty.
- DELICIOUS: The bananas make this bread so moist and the chocolate chips simply put this over the edge. Serve it a little warm with butter melting on top Yum and YUM!
Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here here is what you’ll need to get started:
- BANANAS – Over ripe bananas are best. You want a lot of dark spots on the peel and it should give a bit when you squeeze it.
- WHITE SUGAR – Normal, white cane sugar works. You can also use half white sugar and half brown sugar for a bit of a different taste.
- EGG – Make sure your egg is room temperature.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – While we are always about cutting costs and corners. We firmly believe in using a quality vanilla extract. Don’t get cheap here!
- FLOUR – All Purpose Flour.
- BUTTER – Unsalted Butter. Softened to room temperature.
- BAKING SODA –
- BAKING POWDER –
- SALT – This works great to balance the sweetness.
- Chocolate chips
The Best Way To Ripen A Banana
If you’re bananas are looking a little too yellow (or green), don’t worry, there are a couple of tricks to speed up the ripening process.
- Paper Bag- But the banana in a paper bag and loosely close the top. Bananas give off a gas called ethylene that ripens them. This will trap that gas in there and speed up the process. You can add some apples or already ripe bananas into the bag too and that may speed up the process even more.
- Oven- Heat the bananas in the oven at 325 degrees. Keep them fully peeled. You’ll want to bake them until they are VERY dark, almost black. Let them cool and scoop out all that overripe banana goodness!
- Microwave- This process won’t actually get your bananas any sweeter, but it will soften them up. Make sure you peel your banana for this process. Heat them in the microwave for 15-45 seconds. You may need to add some sugar to your recipe if you use this method.
If you’re like me and never seem to be able to eat all your bananas before they get too ripe, then you can always freeze them! I like to cut mine up, put them on parchment paper and freeze them. Now I’ve got small chunks of perfectly ripe bananas whenever I need them. They are perfect to throw in my blender for smoothies too!
Can You Freeze Chocolate Chip Banana Bread?
Absolutely! Simply let it full cool on a cooling rack. Wrap it in aluminum foil and put into a freezer bag. Make sure to label what it is and what date you baked it on. It should be good in your freezer for up to 3 months. You can also slice your chocolate chip banana bread before freezing, so you’ll have just the potion you need when you need it. Let it thaw at room temperature. Or, if you just have a slice, you can even pop it into the toaster! Put some butter on that baby and let it melt. Yum!
You can also just store your leftovers in an airtight container (this one is PERFECT for loaves of bread). Or wrap it in plastic wrap.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- Grease!- Make sure you grease your pan well before adding the batter!
- Cinnamon- If you want a little more flavor complexity, add 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon to this recipe. Give it a try!
- Room Temperature – Make sure your eggs, bananas (if frozen) and butter are all room temperature.
- Don’t Over Mix – When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix until just incorporated. Mixing too much will give you a dryer, dense bread.
- Brown Sugar- Try subbing out the white sugar for brown sugar. Or use half of one and half of the other.
- Chocolate Chips- Try experimenting with Chocolate Chips! Milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet, dark chocolate chips can all work. Mini chocolate chips or chocolate chunks or a mixture of the two would be awesome!
- Toppings Ideas – Fresh banana slices, nuts (walnuts or pecans), extra chocolate chips, cream cheese frosting or icing, powdered sugar.
This is a quick and easy recipe for chocolate chip banana bread. Perfect to make the night before for a yummy weekend breakfast. Or make it at the beginning of the week for some snacks between meals. Enjoy!
LOOKING FOR MORE TASTY BREAKFAST RECIPES? CHECK OUT OUR:
- STRAWBERRY SCONES
- BLUEBERRY SCONES
- BREAKFAST LEMON MUFFINS
- COPYCAT STARBUCKS LEMON LOAF
- EASY BREAKFAST COOKIES RECIPE
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour a loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add bananas, sugar, butter, egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix just until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely before slicing.