These Banana Blueberry Muffins have mashed bananas and fresh blueberries for a slightly sweet, ultra moist treat! Perfect for breakfast, a snack or healthy dessert!
Why You Will Love These Banana Blueberry Muffins
- EASY AND SIMPLE RECIPE – With just a handful of common ingredients, we are willing to be you have most of what you need for this recipe in your pantry right now! This recipe is great for beginning bakers or to let the kids help with!
- VERSATILE – Great for an on-the-go breakfast, tasty snack or even a dessert! Make a batch of these on Sunday afternoon and enjoy them throughout the week!
- DELICIOUS – We LOVE to bake with banana! It always makes everything so moist! And add the fresh blueberries for a fresh, sweet and perfectly tart finish!
Banana Blueberry Muffins Recipe
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- BAKING SODA
- RIPE BANANA
- VEGETABLE OIL
Can You Freeze These Muffins?
Yep! This is one of the reasons this is such an awesome “make ahead” recipe! You can make these anytime and put them in the freezer to take out whenever you may need them. Just let the muffins cool completely. Then individually wrap them in aluminum foil and put them into a freezer bag. I like to put the date I baked them on the bag. They should be good for 3-4 months.
Simply take them out the night before you want to eat them. Or, you can wrap them in a damp paper towel and put them in the microwave for 30 seconds!
Can You Use Frozen Blueberries When Baking Muffins?
We love to use fresh, juicy blueberries in our recipes. But, depending on where you live and what time of year it is, this can be hard. If all you can get your hands on is frozen blueberries, don’t worry at all! It will just take a little prep work.
First, rinse your frozen blueberries in cold water until you don’t see as much blue color going down the drain. Then, simply pat them with some dry paper towels. Then you are ready to bake!
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- CAN YOU USE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR? – You can sub out half of the All Purpose Flour for Whole Wheat Flour. I wouldn’t completely take away all of the “white” flour, but going half and half can work if you want to reduce your white flour intake.
- CAN YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE GLUTEN-FREE? – Yep! Just add gluten-free flour to make this compliant with gluten free diets.
- WHY ARE MY MUFFINS STICKING TO THE PAN? – Make sure you spray the muffin pan with Cooking Spray! Or, better yet, use muffin paper liners.
- You can substitute the white sugar for 1/4 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- HEALTHY MUFFINS? – Another way to make these Banana Blueberry Muffins a little healthier is change the milk. You can use any sort of milk for this recipe. Skim, 1%, 2%, Almond Milk, Vanilla Almond Milk, Soy Milk, etc..
- DON’T OVER MIX – You really want to just mix it until the dry ingredients are just combined with the wet ingredients. This is how you can ensure that fluffy, most result you are looking for.
- ADD CHOCOLATE – Ummmm…. add chocolate chips! Right? You can never go wrong with adding some chocolate chips. I just wouldn’t add to many to compete with the blueberries.
- MUFFIN TOPPINGS – There is nothing wrong with adding a topping to your muffin! You can sprinkle some sugar on top. Add a streusel before baking or add a glaze! Check out some easy muffin topping recipes below!
- BEST WAY TO MUSH A BANANA? – Nothing fancy, we just use a fork!
EASY STREUSEL TOPPING RECIPE:
- 1 CUP FLOUR
- 1/2 CUP GRANULATED SUGAR
- 4 TBSP MELTED UNSALTED BUTTER
Mix ingredients together and put on top of muffins before baking.
EASY GLAZE RECIPE:
- 1/2 CUP CONFECTIONERS (POWDERED) SUGAR
- TBSP MILK
Mix together in small bowl and drizzle over muffins after they have cooled.
Items To Help With This Recipe
- Looking for a new muffin tin? This is a great deal!
- Or, you can get this 6 piece non-stick oven bakeware baking set. It comes with just about ANY pan you’ll ever need to bake with! From muffins to bread loafs to cookie sheets. And it’s only $26.00!!!
- MUFFIN LINERS
- ELECTRIC MIXER
Easy Banana Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- decorative sparkling sugar for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 12 cup muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking soda and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash banana and add egg, milk, oil and sugar and mix well.
- Stir in dry flour mixture just until combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Use a 3 tablespoon portion scoop to divide batter equally in 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with sparkling sugar if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and cooling completely before serving.