This easy Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is the gift that keeps on giving! Ground beef and tater tots are mixed in with tons of goodies like sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese and onion. It’s all baked into this delicious casserole dish. It’s a great recipe for a crowd or for a weeknight dinner to have leftover overs for lunch!
Casseroles: The Ultimate Comfort Food
This Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is the ULTIMATE comfort food!
This recipe caught my eye and I decided that I just HAD to share it with you. This dish just screams “comfort food””! I can just picture eating this on a cold, winter afternoon while watching the football game on TV. It is one of those meals that will warm you up from the inside and make you forget about all your troubles, if even for just a little bit! That is what comfort food is all about.
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
What’s not to love about this recipe? It’s a bacon cheeseburger with tater tots all combined into one casserole. It’s baked with tons of cheese and it comes out of the oven hot, bubbly and ready to devour. One ot the things we really love about it is that it uses frozen tater tots. Yeah, tots are a great side for any meal, but they are also a great ingredient for casseroles! From Breakfast Casseroles to hearty family meals like this Cowboy Casserole, you can always find a delicious use for them!
What Ingredients Will You Need?
- frozen tater tots (keep frozen)
- ground beef
- onion, diced
- cream of bacon (or cream of mushroom/cream of onion)
- sour cream
- bacon, cooked and chopped
- instant bouillon powder
- cheddar cheese
- green onions
What Is Cream of Bacon?
This is a super easy recipe (aren’t all casserole recipes?) that can be made in no time. The only ingredient that you may have trouble finding is the Cream of Bacon. This is a cooking soup (Campbell’s DOES make it) that is a combination of real bacon and fresh cream. If you need to, you can certainly sub that with Cream of Onion or Cream of Mushroom!
Can You Make Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Ahead of Time?
Yep! You can prepare everything in advance and keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook. Or you can freeze it and thaw it out later to cook!
Or, divide it up into two separate pans if your crowd is smaller. Now you have a whole other pan waiting in the freezer for an easy meal on a busy weeknight!
Storage and Freezing
Store leftovers in a covered container in your refrigerator. It should be good for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave and it will taste just fine!
If desired, you can also cook this recipe, let it cool and then freeze it. I like to portion mine out before putting into freezer bags. That way I only need to thaw out what I’ll be using! It should be good in your freezer for 3-4 months. Thaw out in your fridge the night before you want to reheat it.
What To Serve With This Casserole
This recipe is so hearty, it will probably feed your family just fine on it’s own. But it would be great to pair with some vegetables, like these Oven Roasted Green Beans. Or even a nice healthy salad, like this Grilled Vegetable Salad. You may also want to serve a bread option, to sop up some of the cheesy, greasy awesomeness on your plate, these 7-up Biscuits and these Drop Biscuits are so easy to make!
Items To Help Make This Recipe
- CASSEROLE DISH–We love this casserole dish because it comes with a lid. So you can keep your leftover right in there!
- LARGE SKILLET– It always helps to use a large skillet for this recipe. We suggest this one!
Notes, Tips and Variations
- MIX INS: You can add some more vegetables and ingredients to your liking. Bell peppers, mushrooms, onions would be great. Add some sliced jalapenos for some heat!
- TOPPINGS: After baking, add some fun toppings before serving! Some ideas would be fresh tomato slices, shredded lettuce, sour cream, pickle slices or jalapenos.
- CHANGE UP THE CHEESE!: We used Cheddar Cheese for this recipe, but feel free to experiment with other shredded cheeses: Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Mozzarella…
- DIVIDE THIS RECIPE: If you don’t need to eat that much right now, you can divide this recipe into two 8X8 dishes and freeze the other one for later!
This is one of these recipes that may taste even better for leftovers the next day! It can be used for so many things: feeding a large crowd, tailgating, game day recipes or potlucks.
We hope you enjoy this one! Let us know what you think!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
- EASY DORITO CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE
- EASY HOMEMADE BEEFARONI RECIPE
- TACO LASAGNA
- JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 package 32 oz, frozen tator tots (keep frozen)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon instant boullion powder
- 1 can 10.5 oz, cream of bacon (or cream of mushroom/cream of onion)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Brown beef and onions in a large skillet until no longer pink. Drain grease.
Stir in boullion powder, cream of bacon and sour cream and mix well.
Pour half of the tater tots into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Top with beef mixture. Top with 1 cup cheese and half of the bacon.
Add remaining tater tots and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining bacon. Return to oven for 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This is one of these recipes that may taste even better for leftovers the next day! It can be used for so many things: feeding a large crowd, tailgating, game day recipes or potlucks. You can even make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge or freezer for later! Or, divide it up into two separate pans if your crowd is smaller. Now you have a whole other pan waiting in the freezer for an easy meal on a busy weeknight!