Wake up to a slice of bliss with this delicious Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole! We make ours with Sausage, Eggs, Tater Tots and TONS of Cheese! But there great thing about this recipe is that you can add, subtract and tweak ingredients to your heart’s content! Read below for the recipe and some yummy ideas to make it your own!
Need Breakfast Casseroles? You’ve Come To The Right Place!
I’m surprised that it’s taken us this long to share this recipe. My wife has been making this Breakfast Casserole (she actually calls it a Christmas Casserole and some people call it a Hotdish) for years! We’ve shared some pretty awesome breakfast casseroles and bakes over the years, like this Blueberry Breakfast Casserole or this Banana Oatmeal Bake. So, it was only a matter of time before we posted our classic Breakfast Casserole on here!
How To Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
The brilliance of this dish is it’s simplicity. It’s got all your favorite breakfast flavors in it: Eggs, Sausage, Potatoes (Tater Tots) and Cheese. Add some diced peppers and onions for some extra flavor and you are in business! AND, you can make this the night ahead if you want, store it in the fridge and throw it in the oven the next morning!
For the full recipe, check out the recipe card below. But you really just need to layer sausage, peppers and onions with the tater tots, cheese and egg mixture. Then put on more cheese and throw it in the oven. SO EASY!
Why We LOVE This Recipe!
We love this recipe because it’s great to make and share with a crowd. Perfect for holiday pitch ins or brunches or church potluck. It’s like a comfort food breakfast combo! And it’s such an easy cleanup! Everything made in just the one skillet and then all in your casserole dish!
And, while it’s great to feed a crowd, you can also make it on Sunday and just eat off of it for the rest of the week. Just pop it in leftover in the microwave every morning. It reheats great!
And, as we talked about above, it’s so easy to tweak and play around with to make just how we want it! Check out the ideas below!
Can You Make This In A Crockpot Or Slow Cooker?
If you want to wake up to a delicious breakfast aroma you won’t ever forget, you CAN make this casserole in a slow cooker. For the full recipe, just check out our Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe. You can either cook it on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. I’d get it started before bed and put it on low for 6-8 hours and you’ve got breakfast ready the second you wake up!
How To Store or Freeze This Recipe
Leftovers can be stored in your refrigerator for 3-4. And YES, you can Freeze this Breakfast Casserole. Simply let if fully cool and individually wrap the different pieces in freezer wrap, a freezer bag, or both. It will be good in your Freezer for up to 3 months. Just put it in your refrigerator the night before you want to eat it to thaw.
What To Serve With This Dish?
A Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is certainly a “stand alone” dish that can fill you up all by itself. But it also may be fun to serve it with some other breakfast goodies. Serving it along a sweet treat, like a Bisquick Coffee Cake, these Bisquick Cinnamon Rolls or this French Toast Bake would be a great idea! Then you’d get that awesome sweet and salty combination!
Or you could serve it with some fresh fruit! This Mexican Fruit Salad or this 5 Cup Fruit Salad would be perfect!
Other Notes, Tips and FAQs
- ADD VEGETABLES?– We’ve added onions and peppers to this recipe. But you can also put in mushrooms, spinach, red bell peppers or any other vegetable that sounds good!
- WHAT CAN YOU USE INSTEAD OF SAUSAGE?– For sure, you can sub with cooked bacon. Just get it nice and crispy and sprinkle the bacon crumbles into the recipe. If your trying to make this dish a little healthier, you could also try chicken sausage or turkey bacon.
- EXPERIMENT WITH CHEESE!– We used Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese. But this is a great opportunity to be adventurous! Some monterey jack, swiss or even pepper jack to give it some spice would be fun! Or a combination of any of these!
- GARNISH?- If you want to liven this dish up, you can top it with all sorts of garnishes. Some ideas would be green onions or scallions, sour cream, ketchup, hot sauce or sriracha.
- CAN YOU SUB HASHBROWNS FOR THE TATER TOTS?– YES! Just spread the hashbrowns over the sausage as instructed and you are in business!
Tools and Kitchen Gadgets We Used For This Recipe
- CASSEROLE DISH– We love this casserole dish because it comes with it’s own lid for easy storage of leftovers!
- SET OF 7 MIXING BOWLS– These affordable, matching mixing bowls come in 7 different sizes. Come on, you know it’s time to update!
- WHISK– You are gonna want to get your egg/milk combo nice and creamy and smooth. This whisk will help with that.
- LARGE SKILLET– Nothing is worse than trying to cook all your ingredients on a skillet that is a little to small to hold everything. This super affordable skillet is perfect for any recipe!
We hope you enjoy this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe. We’d love it if you left a comment to let us know how it turned out for you and if you made any improvisations to it. We read and respond to every comment. Happy Eating!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 32- ounce package frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet with the onion and pepper. When the sausage is cooked, spread the mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese over the top of the sausage layer.
- Top the cheese with a single layer of tater tots.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and half the salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and pour over the top of the tater tots. Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper over the top of the tots.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with remaining cheese. Return to the oven to bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Leave A Reply!