Throw a twist into your taco Tuesdays with this Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole Recipe. This Mexican Chicken Casserole has layers of cheesy chicken topped with a whole bag of crunchy Dorito Chips. It will put a whole new twist on your Taco Tuesdays!
Every Tuesday is taco night for us. We love to make tacos at least once a week because they are quick and easy to make and the whole family enjoys them.
But honestly, our tacos are getting pretty boring. It’s time to mix things up a little bit! And that is JUST the thing we love to do here: take everyday recipes and make them into something a little more different and fun! We’ve already done that a couple times with Tacos. We’ve made Walking Taco Casserole, Taco Lasagna and Taco Spaghetti. Now we are gonna keep the Tex Mex Taco Train rolling with the fun new recipe for Dorito Chicken Casserole!
Casseroles: The Ultimate Comfort Food
Casseroles are often great comfort food options because they are usually super easy to make, can feed the whole family and you an have leftovers for lunch the next day. We’ve made a ton of great casseroles on this website, like our John Wayne Casserole that is loaded with meat cheese, veggies and just the right amount of spice. Or our Macaroni Corn Casserole, which is an awesome side dish for just about any occasion.
We like this Dorito Chicken Casserole because it has lots of great textures in it. First, you have the bubbly cheese on top, then the tender chicken and finally the satisfying crunch of the Doritos!
What Ingredients Will You Need For Dorito Chicken Casserole?
For step-by-step instructions, check out the recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- DORITOS – We used the classic Nacho Cheese Doritos. But you can use whatever flavor you’d like.
- CHICKEN – You will be adding cooked chicken to this casserole. You can cook your chicken any way you’d like. and it can be cubed or shredded chicken. For a time saver, use a Rotisserie Chicken that you can buy at the store.
- SALSA – Use a spicier salsa if you want more kick!
- CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP – You can substitute for any other “cream of” soup. Cream of mushroom soup would work great if you have it.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you can use skim milk or whole milk if you’d like.
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – To taste
- CHEESE – We used shredded colby cheese. But you can substitute for any shredded cheese that sounds good to you!
What Is The Best Kind Of Chicken To Use For Casseroles?
When adding chicken to just about any casserole, I always love to use Rotisserie Chicken. It certainly makes the final dish much more tender.
Other Ways To Make This Dish
- DORITOS- We used the original Nacho Cheese Doritos or or crushed Doritos topping. But can choose between a wide variety of Doritos. Adding Ranch flavored Doritos might be really “cool”! Or, if your feeling edgy, go for the Flamin’ Hot Doritos to add some serious heat!
- ADD ROTEL TOMATOES- I’ve come across some recipes that add Rotel Tomatoes into the chicken mixture. I haven’t tried this, or using any other tomato mixture with green chilies, but it that sounds pretty yummy too!
- ADD BLACK BEANS – Drain and rinse a can of black beans to put into this casserole.
- TOPPINGS- Add some sliced Jalapenos, Cilantro or top with sour cream.
- SWITCH UP THE CHEESE- This recipe calls for Colby Jack cheese, but using cheddar cheese would also work. Or using a Mexican blended cheese would also work great!
How To Serve This Recipe
This Dorito Casserole does stand just fine by itself, but it may also be delicious served on a bed of white or brown rice. I’ve also seen some recipes where some smaller pasta noodles are cooked and baked into the recipe!
How To Store Leftovers
We love to bake casseroles in our Le Creuset Casserole Dish because it comes with a lid! You can just keep your leftovers right in your casserole dish in the fridge! Or, if you are looking for something a little less expensive, this one works great too!
You can also freeze this recipe and it should be good for up to 4 months in a freezer bag. When freezing casseroles, I often like to portion them out beforehand, that way I can just take the amount out that I need to defrost it for dinner that night! Reheat in the oven at the same temp as you originally baked it.
We love to use these gallon sized freezer bags. They are tough, durable and have new grip and seal technology that makes them super easy to open and close.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES WITH A BIT OF SPICE IN THEM? CHECK OUT:
- JALAPENO POPPER CASSEROLE
- CROCK POT MEXICAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- 8 CAN TACO SOUP
- CHICKEN ENCHILADA SUIZA
Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 bag 11 oz, Dorito
- 3 cups chicken cooked
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 can 10.5 oz, cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crush chips. Sprinkle half of them in the bottom of the casserole dish and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add chicken, salsa, soup, milk, salt and pepper and 1 cup cheese and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan, on top of crushed chips.
- Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and remaining crushed chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and warm in the center.