This Taco Lasagna is an easy casserole dish that makes for a delicious weeknight family dinner. Loaded with authentic Mexican Flavors layered on tortillas, everyone is gonna want seconds! While this recipe uses tortillas, I’ve also included instructions to use real pasta noodles as well!
Why You Will Love This Taco Lasagna
- A NEW TACO TUESDAY – In our home, we celebrate Taco Tuesday every week. But sometimes, the same old tacos get a little boring. This Taco Lasagna has all your favorite Tex-Mex flavors but in a casserole form!
- EASY – This is an easy recipe that is perfect for busy weeknight dinners! Just a few simple ingredients and a couple of minutes of prep is all it takes! We love that really all you need is the ingredients that you’d need for regular tacos! So it’s easy to pivot to this recipe if you are looking for something different.
What Is Taco Lasagna?
Taco Lasagna is a Mexican Casserole that has traditional taco ingredients layered on tortillas. The tortillas act as the “lasagna noodles”. Sometimes people use actual pasta noodles in this recipe. We’ve included instructions to do that below.
In our home, we celebrate Taco Tuesday every week. But sometimes, the same old tacos get a little boring. So finding this easy Mexican Casserole is totally clutch! Another fun twist on Tex Mex flavors is this fun Cheesy Taco Pasta or this Taco Spaghetti Recipe. If this recipe looks good, you GOTTA check that one out!
Taco Lasagna Recipe
Just like a lot of recipes that I try to share on this page, you probably already have a large amount of these ingredients already in your kitchen.
- GROUND BEEF – We used 80/20 blend. But You can you any level of fat you’d like. If you want to make this recipe a little leaner, you can also substitute for ground chicken or ground turkey.
- TACO SEASONING – Any brand and any spice level you (and your family) can tolerate. Or, you can make your own homemade taco seasoning.
- BLACK BEANS – Make sure you rinse and drain them.
- DICED TOMATOES – You can use a can of regular diced tomatoes or some with chilis in them to add a little heat.
- REFRIED BEANS – You will spread this on your tortillas. Not only does it add flavor and protein, but it insulates your tortillas so they don’t get too soggy when baking.
- FLOUR TORTILLAS – These will act as your “lasagna noodles” in this recipe. You can also try using corn tortillas as well. To actually use real lasagna noodles, see the instructions below.
- SHREDDED CHEESE – You can use any cheese you’d like Cheddar cheese, Cheddar Jack, Pepper Jack or Mexican Cheese Blend would all work well.
Can You Use Real Pasta In Taco Lasagna?
Yep! You sure can! A lot of these recipes do use tortillas as their “pasta” layer. But if you really want to mix Italian and Mexican Cuisine together, try using Lasagna noodles where the tortillas would be. You can use no-boil, oven ready Lasagna noodles if you’re in a hurry (or feeling lazy). Or you can boil them before putting them in the recipe!
Can You Freeze Taco Lasagna?
Absolutely, this recipe is a great one to make ahead of time and freeze. Simply let the Lasagna cool a bit and you can wrap it up right in it’s pan as long as it is freezer safe. But, I’d suggest cutting out individual servings and wrapping them up that way. Now you can take out exactly what you will need to defrost when you need it!
Toppings To Put On Taco Lasagna
This recipe has sour cream and we sprinkle some green onions on top and we love that. But, there are some other ideas that would work great too!
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Green Chiles
- Sriracha Sauce
- Crema Fresca
Great Cinco De Mayo Recipes
This would also make a great recipe to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Looking for some other Latin Inspired dishes? Check out our delicious Crock Pot Mexican Casserole. This easy casserole recipe stuffs all your favorite taco fixings in with tortillas and enchilada sauce. On the lighter side, we also have this sweet and (slightly) spicy Mexican Fruit Salad. But, I’d say my favorite recipe for Cinco de Mayo is this Mexican Street Corn Salad. I’ve made this several times and it is AMAZING!
Notes, Tips and Variations
- MAKE AHEAD? – If using tortillas, I would not make this ahead of time. I’d be concerned that the tortilla may get a little soggy. But if using pasta noodles, I think you’ll be fine.
- USE DISPOSABLE BAKING DISH – We usually just a casserole dish that comes with it’s own lid so we can keep leftovers in there. Or, even better, use a disposable aluminum casserole dish take make clean up a cinch!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Taco Lasagna. Drop us a line in the comments section to let us know how it turned out for you an your family.
Taco Lasagna Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can 15 oz, black beans, drained
- 1 can 15 oz, diced tomatoes
- 1 can 16 oz, refried beans
- 6, 8 ' soft flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- chopped green onions optional for serving
- sour cream optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole or 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat beef until browned. Drain grease and return to pan. Add one packet taco seasoning and mix well, heating for 1-2 minutes combining seasonings.
- Add beans and tomatoes and heat for an additional 2-3 minutes or until warm. Remove from heat.
- Place 2 tortillas into prepared pan and spread half the can of refried beans on top.
- Add half of the beef mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat with another layer. Top with remaining shells and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until center is warm. Let set for five minutes before cutting and serving with chopped onions and sour cream.
Comments & Reviews
Donna Hunter says
Can I use corn tortillas?
Absolutely… whatever you prefer.
Jason McGinnis says
What is Arkansas green beans?
Wow….this is amazing! I absolutely love this recipe. I replaced the can of tomatoes with a can of Rotel because that’s all I had on hand at the time, and it was delicious! This is the only way I will be doing taco night from now on. Everyone needs to try this recipe!
I made this for dinner tonight! I added some mango salsa! It was delicious out of this world!!
Great idea with the mango salsa.
WOW! This is SO much faster and easier than the hassle of individual tacos for my family of 6!