You are going to love the Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers! An easy family dinner on the busy weeknights, they are healthy, low carb and so easy to make with just a couple minutes of prep!
Why You Will Love Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- EASY – with just a few simple ingredients and a couple minutes of prep, this is such an easy dinner recipe! And I’ve got some ideas for some make ahead shortcuts below to make this recipe even better for a busy weeknight!
- HEALTHY – This low carb meal is full of lean chicken and veggies for a hearty, wholesome dinner!
- MAKE AHEAD RECIPE – There are several different ways that you can meal prep this recipe ahead of time and just pop them in the oven as needed! And they are freezer friendly!
Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
This is one of those recipes that is great to improvise and almost impossible to mess up! Check out our ideas below for ways to add or change the recipe. And, for step-by-step instructions, check out our printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- BELL PEPPERS – Halved. You can use any color bell pepper that you’d like.
- OLIVE OIL – Brushed on the peppers to give them a nice, crispy outer edge.
- ONION – We use yellow onions for their sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use red onion if you’d like. They will be sautded.
- GARLIC – Sauteed with the onions. Add depth of flavor.
- CHICKEN – Cooked, shredded chicken. There are numerous ways to get shredded chicken, see below for more info.
- ITALIAN SEASONING – Any brand will do.
- TOMATO SAUCE – Gives the dish it’s zesty, flavorful sauce!
- WHITE RICE – Cooked. Do not put uncooked rice in this recipe. If you are on a time crunch, you can use microwavable rice for a huge shortcut.
- MOZZARELLA CHEESE – To be put in the mixture and melted on top. You can substitute for any soft cheese that will melt well.
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – To taste.
What Is The Best Way to Shred You Chicken?
There are a number of ways to get shredded chicken. We always love having a bag of shredded chicken laying around to put in recipes as needed. It freezes well and you can just take it out the night before and thaw it overnight in the fridge.
Some people like to boil their, chicken and then shred it. We love to use our Instant Pot to cook the chicken, it’s SO EASY to shred coming out of pressure cooker. And it cooks very quickly.
Another great idea to save time is to just buy a fully cooked rotisserie chicken at the store! And, if you really want to save some time (and you don’t mind doing it) you can just use canned chicken.
Can You Make Chicken Stuffed Peppers Ahead of Time?
Yes! This is a great family dinner to make ahead of time. You’ve got a couple of options. You can make your filling ahead of time and then just stuff them into the peppers when you are ready to make them. Or, you can freeze the stuffed peppers before or after you bake them. The freeze very well. Thaw out in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as directed.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- TOPPINGS – We simply topped our stuffed bell peppers with some parsley. But you can top them with all sorts of things! Some ideas would be: cilantro, salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce or green onions.
- DO YOU HAVE TO USE CHICKEN BREASTS? – You can easily substitute the chicken breasts for chicken thighs in this recipe.
- SUB FOR CAULIFLOWER RICE – To make this meal even healthier, use cauliflower rice.
We hope you enjoy this Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe. Let us know how it turns out in the comment section!
LOOKING FOR OTHER EASY FAMILY DINNERS? CHECK OUT:
- BEEF TIPS AND RICE
- BISQUICK CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- BROCCOLI CHEESE CASSEROLE
- CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
- HAMBURGER HOTDISH
Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 bell peppers halved with seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 15- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup white rice cooked
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the peppers in an even layer on the baking sheet and brush the tops with one tablespoon olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are pre-baking, heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- When the onions are finished cooking, add the chicken, Italian seasoning, and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cooked rice and one cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Take the peppers out of the oven and fill each pepper with the chicken mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the cover and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.