This Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake is a quick and easy dessert recipe highlighting fresh strawberries and flaky biscuits. Add a layer of light whipped cream and you have a classic summer treat that you can throw together in just minutes!
Now that we are in the middle of summer, I’m really craving fresh, delicious desserts. And baking with strawberries is a surefire way to make something fresh and delicious! There is just something so “summer” about strawberries!
We’ve made Strawberry Banana Muffins, Strawberry Crumble and our popular Strawberry Cool Whip Pie. They are all super popular recipes during the warm months of the year. So, we thought we’d add to that list today with this EASY recipe for Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake.
Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake
Of course, the real secret to making this delicious dessert so easy is the use of Bisquick Baking Mix. Having Bisquick as a staple in your kitchen is a MUST! It is the ultimate shortcut to so many yummy dishes from Apple Cobbler and Chicken and Dumplings to Quiche and Coffee Cake!
For step-by-step instruction, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- BISQUICK BAKING MIX – For Gluten-Free Shortcake, you can also use Gluten-Free Bisquick Baking Mix.
- SUGAR – White sugar. You will need some mixed with the Bisquick to give your shortcake it’s nice, sweet flavor. To will also need some to macerate your strawberries.
- BUTTER – Unsalted and melted.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you can use skim to lighten this recipe up or even Full or Half and Half to make it a bit richer. Or use almond milk or any non-dairy milk if you are avoiding dairy.
- STRAWBERRIES – Chopped.
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM – Used to make your whipped topping.
Notes, Tips and FAQS
- CAN YOU MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE AHEAD OF TIME? – You CAN make this ahead of time, just don’t combine the 3 parts (biscuits, strawberries and whipped cream) until you are ready to serve. One thing to note here: once you macerate (or sweat) the Strawberries, they will start to soften. How long you do this is all according to taste. And they should be “good” to eat up to 3 days. But they WILL be pretty soft. If you like your Strawberries firmer, yet still sweet and “syrupy” then I’d only macerate them for about 45 minutes right before serving.
- MIXING THE BATTER– Don’t overmix your shortcake ingredients. It’s ok if there are some lumps in it. And you want to keep the batter as cold as possible for when it goes in the oven. You can help do this by using a very cold mixing bowl that has been in the fridge. Or by using very cold milk. Or you can put batter into the fridge for about 20 minutes before baking.
- LET COOL – The biscuits can be a little fragile while still warm. Make sure to let the biscuits cool fully before slicing.
- ADD LEMON JUICE – Some people add a couple drops of fresh lemon juice to the Strawberries to add a little flavor. We didn’t but feel free to go for it!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake. Let us know how it turns out in the comments section. We love to hear everyone’s stories and will respond to every comment!
LOOKING FOR MORE SUMMER STRAWBERRY DESSERTS? OUR MOST POPULAR DESSERT IS THIS STRAWBERRY PRETZEL SALAD! IT’S LIGHT, CREAMY AND THE PERFECT COMBO BETWEEN SWEET AND SALTY!
OR, FOR AN AWESOME ROUNDUP OF LOTS OF RECIPES LIKE THIS, CHECK OUT: 19 SUMMER DESSERTS PERFECT FOR A BBQ!
Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 1/3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup milk
- For the Filling:
- 1 quart strawberries chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the baking mix and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and milk and stir until a soft dough begins to form.
- Use a spoon to scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, forming six even balls of dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until the bottom of the shortcake is golden brown.
- Allow the shortcakes to cool completely before eating.
- While the shortcakes are cooling, prepare the filling by mixing together the strawberries and sugar.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into a small bowl and beat on high speed for around five minutes, until the cream is thick and soft peaks form.
- To serve, cut the shortbread in half. Top the bottom half with a layer of strawberries and a layer of whipped cream. Place the top of the shortbread on top of the whipped cream.