Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings are an easy, delicious family dinner recipe for any night of the week. This classic southern comfort food is ready in just minutes Bisquick Baking Mix.
Why You Will Love Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings
- TOTAL COMFORT FOOD – Nothing says “comfort food” more than a classic Chicken and Dumplings! Tender chicken in a creamy gravy with soft, yummy dumplings cooked into them! It’s got that home cooking, southern style comfort food taste that you crave on a cold day! Yum!
- EASY FAMILY DINNER – With easy, simple ingredients and a couple minutes of prep, this will be baking in your oven in no time!
- GREAT USE OF BISQUICK – Now, with Bisquick, this recipe is easier than ever! Here at Bubba Pie, we are ALL ABOUT making delicious recipes as easy and simple as possible. And using Bisquick is a GREAT way to to do this! From Bisquick Chicken Fingers to our Impossible Cheeseburger Pie, Bisquick is a must have in any kitchen for a quick and easy family dinner!
Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken, vegetables, creamy sauce and tender biscuit dumplings. This classic southern dish has everything that makes a delicious family dinner. Ready to to get started? Check out the full recipe card below for step-by-step instructions, but here is what you’ll need to get started:
- COOKING OIL – We used vegetable oil. But you can use whatever oil you’d like. Olive Oil, Avocado Oil or Canola Oil would work.
- CHICKEN – Boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed. Make sure all the pieces are about the same size so they cook evenly.
- ONION – We use yellow onion for it’s sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use red onion if you’d like.
- CARROTS – Peeled and chopped.
- CELERY – Chopped.
- SEASONINGS – We use a mixture of oregano, garlic powder, parsley, salt and ground pepper
- BISQUICK BAKING MIX –
- CHICKEN BROTH – Can substitute for vegetable broth if needed.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you can use low fat milk to lighten the dish up. Or even half and half to make it a little richer.
Can You Freeze This Recipe?
Most likely not. In fact, reheating Chicken and Dumplings can be a bit tricky even without freezing. The dumplings just won’t ever be quite the same after the initial serving of this dish. I’d go ahead and just have seconds!
Can You Make This In Your Slow Cooker?
Yep! You sure can make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings! Just throw all the ingredients into your Crockpot (minus the bisquick/milk combo) and cook on low for 6-7 hours, stir occasionally. Once everything has cooked, whisk your Bisquick and milk together and drop spoonfuls of it on top of your recipe. Cook on high for 30-60 minutes more.
What To Serve with Chicken and Dumplings
There is a good chance that this dish will be just fine all by itself for a family dinner. But, if you’d like to serve it with a side dish, here are some ideas:
- ARKANSAS GREEN BEANS
- BACON WRAPPED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS CASSEROLE
- CAULIFLOWER AU GRATIN
- CORN AND TOMATO SALAD
- CREAMED PEAS
Notes, Tips and FAQS:
- CAN I MAKE THIS GLUTEN FREE?- Yes! Bisquick makes a Gluten Free Version of their baking mix!
- DON’T OVERMIX THE BISQUICK!- Only mix together the baking mix and the milk enough to incorporate them together to make the Bisquick Dumplings. Just wait until a soft dough forms. Don’t overmix! And, after mixing, let the dough sit out for a couple minutes to rise a little bit!
- A SUPER SHORTCUT – Don’t have time to cook the chicken first? Grab a rotisserie chicken on your way home and use that. Or, you could even use leftover turkey from the holidays!
- DO I HAVE TO USE CHICKEN BREASTS? – You can certainly substitute Chicken Breasts for boneless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs will actually come out even more tender, although they are dark meat.
- CAN YOU MAKE YOUR DUMPLINGS FROM SCRATCH? – Yep! We have this delicious Chicken and Dumplings Recipe made from scratch. They taste just like the ones from Cracker Barrel!
- I DON’T HAVE ANY MILK? CAN I MAKE BISQUICK WITH WATER?- Yes, you can. But the Bisquick Batter may be a little more “runny” and you may not get the same results. I’d say it’s worth a run to the store to get the milk. But you CAN use water in a pinch. Also, if you have allergy or dietary considerations, you could sub for soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk or another milk substitute.
- FROZEN CARROTS AND PEAS – You can certainly throw in a bag of frozen peas and carrots instead of the fresh carrots. You can also put some broccoli in there too!
- USE A NICE, LARGE POT OR DUTCH OVEN- This 16 Quart Stock Pot would work perfectly!
Bisquick Chicken and DumplingsServings 4 peopleThis Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings recipe is a classic, southern comfort food dish that is so easy and quick to make! With Bisquick Baking Mix as the ultimate shortcut, it's a perfect family dinner any night of the week.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2-1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- Add oil, chicken and onions to a stockpot and heat over medium high heat until onions are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
- Add carrots, celery, spices, 1/2 cup baking mix and mix well.
- Add broth, stir and heat over medium high until boiling.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until carrots are soft, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 2 cups baking mix and milk.
- Mix together with a fork. Drop by teaspoon dollops into the chicken mixture.
- Dough will most likely sink.
- Heat on low, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 10 additional minutes. Serve immediately.
NutritionCalories: 368kcalLove this recipe?Follow @bubbapie for even more delicious recipes!!
Comments & Reviews
Thank you Bisquick 😎
We LOVE Bisquick in our house!
Hi…I can’t wait to prepare this dish for my family…looks delicious.
Yay! Please come back and tell us how it worked out!
Had this as a child of the 50s & 60s and only dumplings
I knew until I had others that weren’t as good!!
The others were very doughy & stuck to my mouth!!!
Loved having this in the cold winters!!
Will only use Bisquick, ever, for my dumplings!!!
Yay! So glad it worked out for you! Thanks for sharing.
Janet L. Ruggles says
Finally someone that makes REAL chicken and dumplings! Not chicken and Slickers, ( can be seen at Cracker Barrel Restaurants). 👍🥰🐓
Thanks so much for the comment. Glad you liked them!
I use bisquick all the time and I always keep a spare box so I don’t run out. Icook chicken and dumplings all the time.
Awesome! We agree, it’s good to always have box on hand!
Love the Chicken Dumpling Pie recipe. I’ve cooked this 4 various people & they all loved it. It’s an easy recipe & looks & tastes absolutely delicious every time. I had a VERY picky eater husband that only liked a limited amount of foods so when I found this recipe I knew, most likely, he’d like this & he did. Loved it. Rather than using the frozen veggies I substituted them with a can of Veg-All. I drain about 1/2 of the liquid out, which makes it a bit creamier in combination with the soup. I’m making it tonight. 😋
I’m so glad it worked out for you!
So easy and serious comfort food
Jane Redding says
My family loves this recipe! However, instead of cooking the dough for 10 minutes uncovered/10 minutes covered-double the time on both to 20 minutes uncovered/20 minutes covered. The dough comes out more like a fluffy biscuit!