Check out our version of the classic Apple Dapple Cake Recipe. Apple, cinnamon and pecans are all baked together in this super moist bundt cake. The cake is drizzled with a rich Caramel Topping. This dessert recipe is just bursting with Fall Flavors. Yum!
Apple Dessert Recipes
Now that Fall is in full swing here in the Midwest, we never have a shortage of freshly picked apples in our house. We have an Apple Orchard not too far from us and we LOVE to take the kids there to pick out some local produce. And, it just wouldn’t be Autumn without finding some delicious recipes to use those apples in.
We’ve already got some pretty tasty ones on this site. Some of my favorites are:
- Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting– This is a great cupcake recipe for a pitch in or a potluck.
- Easy Bisquick Apple Cobbler– If you spend any time on this site, you know we LOVE shortcuts. And one of our favorite baking shortcuts is to use Bisquick in recipes. This recipe is quick, easy and does NOT disappoint.
- Crockpot Apple Dump Cake– Another shortcut we love is our Slow Cooker. This is a great make ahead recipe for entertaining a crowd. Dessert will be all ready for them as soon they finish dinner!
- Apple Oatmeal Cookies– Grab a taste of Autumn with these chewy Apple Oatmeal Cookies. Fresh Apple, hearty oatmeal and just a touch of cinnamon make this a perfect dessert for the Fall.
- Caramel Apple Salad– This Caramel Apple Salad has crisp, tart apples, pudding, peanuts and pineapple covered with a light whipped topping. Drizzle some caramel over everything and what’s not to love!?! This makes a great recipe for the Fall or a fun summer cookout with friend and family.
- Apple Cinnamon Bread– This Apple Cinnamon Bread is a soft, delicious treat that combines lightly spiced sweet apples and authentic Fall flavors. Perfect for breakfast, dessert or a midday treat, you’ve got to try this yummy recipe!
Today, we got this ridiculously good Apple Dapple Cake to share with you. I’m not gonna lie, this ain’t health food. It’s loaded with just about everything that you could put into a recipe to make it tasty yummy. And boy, it doesn’t disappoint!
What Is An Apple Dapple Cake?
This cake is usually baked in a Bundt Cake Pan, but not always. I’ve seen some pretty interesting recipes in a normal sheet pan as well. At it’s core, it’s a mix of cinnamon, apples and nuts (we use pecans). Some have added raisins, coconut, nutmeg and other ingredients. After the cake is baked, there is often time a rich caramel sauce poured over the cake while it is still hot in the pan. This lets the sauce really seep into the cake and makes it SUPER moist and flavorful. Our take is just a little bit different.
Our Apple Dapple Cake Recipe
In order to add the sauce to the cake while it is still hot and in the pan, we need a tube pan, but we only had a bundt pan. This, I think, is why a lot of people just bake it in a sheet pan. But we really love the look of the Bundt Cake! So, for our version, we take it out of the pan and let it cool before adding our Caramel Sauce. The sauce still does a great job giving this dessert recipe an awesome amount of flavor, but it just isn’t quite as “sticky” as some of the other recipes.
Apple Dapple Cake
This is a super simple recipe to make for your next party, pitch in or potluck this Fall. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
For The Cake:
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Granny Smith Apples, cored, skinned and diced
- Pecans, Coarsely Chopped
Can You Make This Ahead Of Time
Yes! Absolutely, in fact, this is one of those recipes that can actually taste better the next day. I had the again the day after I made it and the flavors seems to bind even more than before! Making this the night before you serve it would be a great idea!
How To Store Apple Dapple Cake
It is recommended that you store this at room temperature in an airtight container. There is no need to refrigerate this recipe. To serve, you can heat it up in the microwave for about 20 seconds or just serve room temperature.
I would not freeze this recipe. I just don’t think that caramel topping would freeze or defrost very well.
Other Notes, Tips and Variations
- Nuts- We used pecans but just about any type of nuts would work. Walnuts or shaved almonds would be tasty!
- What To Serve With Apple Dapple Cake- This cake would go great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of Whipped Cream on top.
- If You Do Have A Tube Pan- You can follow this recipe just as it is, except when the cake is right out of the oven, introduce the Caramel Topping. Once everything has cooled completely, put some parchment paper on a cutting board and invert the cake onto the cutting board/parchment paper. Then carefully flip it back over onto a serving platter. You should be able to take the parchment paper off without too much of the topping coming off with it.
- What Kind of Apples To Use?- You always want to use a “baking apple” in cakes. These firmer apples will hold their shape more when baked and won’t get too mushy. We use Granny Smith and they are awesome. Possible other choices could be Jonagold, Braeburn or Honey Crisp.
- Do I Really Need to Use Heavy Cream?- Well, no. You could probably sub for half and half or maybe even 2% milk. But, come on! It’s the Fall, we are probably going to be wearing sweaters for the next couple of months anyways, right?
I hope you enjoy this recipe for our version of Apple Dapple Cake. If you make it, I’d love to hear how it turned out in the comments section below. Thanks for reading!
Apple Dapple Cake Recipe
For The Cake
- 2 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Granny Smith Apples cored, skinned and diced
- 1 1/4 Cup Pecans Coarsely Chopped
For The Caramel Topping
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
With an electric mixer, mix together both sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
Fold dry mixture in with wet mixture until just combined. Don't over mix.
Gently fold in 1 cup of pecans and all the apples.
Pour batter into Bundt Cake Pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
While cake is cooling, bring Caramel Topping ingredients (butter, brown sugar, heavy cream and vanilla) to a bowl. As soon as it reaches a boil, take off of heat.
Drizzle over the top of your Apple Dapple cake. Sprinkle remained of pecans on top of cake.