Why You Will Love This Recipe
- EASY – With ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, this is such a simple recipe! Just throw everything into your Slow Cooker and let it do all the work for you! And, this one-pot recipe means cleaning up is a cinch!
- VERSATILE – Add or omit ingredients to your taste. This is one of those recipes that can work in a lot of different ways. We’ve got some ideas for inspiration below!
- LEFTOVERS – Leftovers taste great the next day or throughout the week for a quick meal. And this soup freezes great too!
ALSO CHECK OUT OUR CHICKEN POZOLE!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- CHICKEN – We cubed our boneless skinless chicken breasts before adding it to the recipe. This means we won’t have to shred it later. But you can add the whole boneless breast and then shred it before serving if you’d like.
- ONION – Chopped. We like to use Yellow Onion for it’s sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use red onion if you’d like.
- MINCED GARLIC – You can mince some fresh garlic or use the stuff that comes in the jar if you’d like. It doesn’t matter.
- DICED TOMATOES WITH GREEN CHILES – You can use really whatever tomatoes you’d like. We like the kind with green chilis (Like Ro-Tel Tomatoes) for the extra kicks. We’ve also seen some people use canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes to add some smokiness.
- RED ENCHILADA SAUCE
- CHICKEN BROTH – You can also use Vegetable Broth if that is all you have.
- SPICES – We use a combination of ground cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. If you don’t have all these spices, or just want something simple, you can just use a packet of taco seasoning as well.
- FROZEN CORN – We like adding frozen corn to this recipe because it’s so easy to just dump into the recipe. You can use canned corn, but we’d recommend draining it, rinsing it and adding it to this recipe later in the cooking time.
- BLACK BEANS – One can. Drained and rinsed well. You can really use any kind of bean you want in this recipe.
- TOPPINGS – Any toppings you’d like! See below for some ideas!
Do You Have To Use Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts?
Nope. You can use chicken thighs if you’d like. They have great flavor and are always so tender. You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or bone-in thighs. You’ll just need to remove the bone after cooking and before serving.
You can also use chicken that is already cooked! This soup is a great use of leftover chicken, or just use a Rotisserie Chicken. In this case, I’d add the chicken late in the cooking process just so that it is heated through.
Toppings For Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup is full of fun, fabulous flavor as it is. But it really shines when you put some fun toppings on it! Some ideas would be:
- SOUR CREAM
- FRESH CILANTRO
- SLICED AVOCADO
- SHREDDED CHEESE
- TORTILLA STRIPS OR CHIPS
- GREEN ONIONS
- SLICED JALAPENOS
- SLICED BLACK OLIVES
- FRESH LIME/FRESH LIME JUICE
Leftovers, Storage and Heating
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should be good for about 4-5 days. I wouldn’t add any toppings until you are ready to serve. Add the tortilla strips and then storing will probably make them soggy. Reheat over a stovetop until full heated.
Chicken Tortilla Soup freezes very well. Just allow the soup to come to room temperature and pour into a freezer safe container or a freezer bag. Thaw in the refrigerator. You can store this soup in individual servings so that you’ll only need to thaw what you need.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- ADJUST THE HEAT – Use as much or as little chili powder as you’d like to adjust how spicy this dish is. There are others ways to make it spicier too! Like adding sliced jalapenos or stirring in some sriracha or other hot sauce before serving.
- WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS SOUP? – We have the BEST idea for this soup! Serce with our Jiffy Jalapeno Cornbread! But really, any bread would work like this Honey Butter Cornbread, Drop Biscuits or even these 7-Up biscuits!
- CAN YOU MAKE THIS SOUP CREAMY? – Yes! For a creamier version of this soup, just add some heavy cream about 10 minutes before serving.
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SHRED CHICKEN? – If you do need to shred the chicken, the easiest way is to fish it out of the soup with a fork and then just use two forks to shred it up. Some people like to use a stand mixer, which does work great to get chicken very well shredded. But that is one more thing for you to clean!
We hope you enjoy this Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. Let us know how it turns out in the comment section!
LOOKING FOR MORE STEWS OR SOUPS? CHECK OUT:
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- VEGETABLE BEEF STEW
- 8 CAN TACO SOUP
- CROCK POT CORN CHOWDER
- HAM AND BEAN SOUP
- LOADED POTATO SOUP
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb chicken cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can 10 oz, diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can 10 oz, red enchilada sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or less/more depending on how much heat you'd like
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 oz frozen corn
- 1 can 15.25 oz, black beans, rinsed and drained
- Add to a slow cooker, chicken, onion, minced garlic, diced tomatoes and chilies, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, spices, corn and black beans. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Stir before serving.
- Top bowls with desired toppings before serving.