This is the easiest Butternut Squash Soup Recipe ever! Made with simple, natural ingredients like squash, apples, and cinnamon, it is the perfect comfort food to warm you up on a cold day. We made this on our stove top, but I’ve also included instructions for Crock Pot and Instant Pot. And, with a few minor tweaks, this can be a tasty vegetarian, vegan and gluten free recipe!
Why You Will Love Butternut Squash Soup
- EASY – Made with just a few simple ingredients and a couple of minutes of prep, this is one of the easiest soup recipes ever! And there is no need to roast the squash first.
- PERFECT COMFORT FOOD – Sometimes, especially on the weekends in the winter, I have the craving to make a nice, rich soup. I want some serious comfort food that I can just chill out and relax with during the weekend. Or, better yet, it would make the perfect Sunday night dinner and I can use the leftovers for lunch during the upcoming week. This Butternut Squash Soup with Apples is the perfect soup for these times.
- GREAT AS A SIDE DISH OR A MAIN COURSE – Having some great soup recipes on hand is always a good idea. Soups are great dishes because they can be used as both a meal or as a side dish.
- PERFECT TO FEED A CROWD – This recipe serves 6-8 people, but is really easy to double or triple if you need to feed a lot of people.
What Is Butternut Squash?
Of course, the most important ingredient in this soup recipe is the Butternut Squash. For the longest time, I didn’t pay much attention to Butternut Squash. But it is actually a wonderful ingredient that you can do all sorts of things with.
Although technically a fruit, most people use it as a vegetable. As it ripens, it becomes sweeter and nuttier and provides opportunities for all sorts of dishes. You can be sautéed, roasted, puréed or toasted. It can be used in anything from smoothies to muffins to casseroles or pies! But I think that it is most famous for Butternut Squash Soup! With its smooth nutty flavor, it is a perfect ingredient for the colder weather. I love this soup! And, to really add on the Fall flavors, I’ve added apple to it!
What Is The Best Apple To Use For Butternut Squash Soup?
For this particular recipe, I’ve decided to add some apple to it. It is in the middle of Fall right now and there are a ton of great options for some really tasty apples. I would recommend using a tarter apple to balance with the taste of the Butternut Squash. I’d suggest using Granny Smith or Cortland.
Using apples in your Butternut Squash Soup recipe will give it that added texture and flavor that is perfect for this time of year. Plus, we have a TON of apples laying around our house from going to the apple orchard, so any recipe that I can find to utilize them is good with me!
How To Make Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is so easy! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- ONIONS – Minced. We used Yellow Onions for the sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use Red Onions if you’d like.
- APPLES – Peeled, cored and cubed. Refer to our section on what apples to use for more info.
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH – Skin removed and cut into cubes.
- CHICKEN BROTH – Gives this soup a depth of flavor. You can sub for vegetable broth if you need to.
- SPICES – We used a combination of brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger and nutmeg to really give this soup it’s delicious Fall flavors!
Butternut Squash Soup Slow Cooker Recipe
Want to use your Slow Cooker for this Butternut Squash Soup? No problem. For this recipe, I’d highly recommend browning the onions first in a skillet with two tablespoons of oil over a medium heat until browned. Then just transfer them to tour Crock Pot to cook. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours. Stir occasionally. Once cooked, use your immersion blender to finish the soup to desired consistency.
Instant Pot Recipe
But, why wait hours and hours for this delicious Fall soup when you can have it cooked to perfection in just minutes in your pressure cooker!?!?! I’ve got an Instant Pot and use it ALL THE TIME! This recipe is no exception.
To make this in your Instant Pot, simple turn on the saute setting and brown your onions with the oil first. Once they are browned, add the other ingredients and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. You can do a manual release. Once cooked, use an immersion blender to make the soup creamy.
How To Make This Recipe Vegetarian/Vegan
If you need to, you can always substitute the half and half for coconut milk and the chicken stock for vegetable stock. You’ll notice that this recipe really doesn’t even use any cream or dairy except for the garnish, so it is healthier for you already!
Butternut Squash Soup Garnish
I like to drizzle a mixture of half and half and ground cinnamon to really bring out all of the flavors, but there a lots of other things you can do as well! Some ideas include:
- Fresh Sage
- Toasted Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Smoked Paprika
- Sour Cream
- Cayenne Pepper
- Crumbles of Bacon
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- IMMERSION BLENDER – Use an immersion blender to help blend all your ingredients to the right consistency.
- STORAGE AND FREEZING – Store leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge. They should be good in your refrigerator for 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. You can freeze Butternut Squash Soup. Put in freeze safe container and it will be good for 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
- FREEZE IN BATCHES – Freeze in smaller batches or single servings so you only need to thaw what you intend to eat.
- HOW TO MAKE THIS SOUP MORE CREAMY – You can certainly add heavy cream or half and half to this recipe to make it creamier. We didn’t think it needed the extra calories.
- ADD MORE VEGGIES – Make this soup go further by adding celery or carrots to it.
I hope you enjoy this Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. Put on your favorite sweater, grab a cup of warm coffee and try out this rich, scrumptious Fall soup recipe. Enjoy!
A Great Thanksgiving Soup Recipe
And this recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving as well! I think it would be a great idea to serve everyone their own portion in a Fall styled mug! If you are looking for some other Thanksgiving recipe ideas, check out:
- 13 THANKSGIVING INSTANT POT SIDE DISHES
- 25 THANKSGIVING APPETIZERS
- 101 THANKSGIVING SIDE DISHES
- 31 UNIQUE THANKSGIVING DESSERTS
The Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 cup apples peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 butternut squash skin removed and cut into cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Add oil and onion to a large stockpot. Heat on medium heat until onions are browned.
- Add apples, squash, chicken broth, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Heat on medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and add a cover to stockpot. Reduce heat to simmer and heat for 35-40 minutes or until squash and apples are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree mixture.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of half and half and more ground cinnamon.