This Vegetable Beef Soup is a simple, easy recipe that is all about cozy comfort food! Tender beef and hearty vegetables combine in a rich savory broth that is perfect to warm you up on a cold day!
Why You Will Love Vegetable Beef Soup
- SIMPLE, EASY RECIPE – With just a few common, pantry staples and a couple of minutes of preparation, this soup will be cooking on your stove and filling your kitchen with delicious aromas. And it’s all made in one pot, so no dishes and an easy cleanup!
- VERSATILE – While this is a great base recipe for your soup, you can tweak this recipe to your liking using whatever you have on hand. So feel free to omit or add ingredients as needed!
- EASY TO FREEZE AND REHEAT – This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and reheat throughout the week for a quick meal. Or even freeze it and thaw it out later whenever you need it!
- INEXPENSIVE – For as many mouths as this soup can feed, it’s super inexpensive to make! And you probably already have most of these ingredients in your kitchen right now! It’s a great way to use random, leftover vegetables you may have laying around right now.
Vegetable Beef Soup
This soup is full of the rich, wholesome flavor of protein and veggies in each bite! We used a combination of fresh potatoes and onions with frozen vegetables (ours had peas, carrots, green beans and corn). But again, your combination of veggies could be different than ours. That’s ok! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- OLIVE OIL – Or any cooking oil that you prefer. We use this to brown our beef.
- STEW MEAT – We used beef stew meat for this recipe. Read below for more info on other meats you can use in this soup.
- ONION – We used yellow onion for it’s sweeter milder flavor. But you can use red onion if you’d like.
- GARLIC – We recommend fresh garlic cloves. Minced.
- FROZEN VEGETABLES – Different brands may have different combinations of veggies. Use whatever sounds good.
- POTATOES – We used Russet Potatoes. Peeled and diced. But just about any potato should work for this soup.
- ITALIAN SEASONING – An easy way to get a great depth of flavor.
- BEEF BROTH – Gives the broth of this soup is rich hearty texture.
- WATER –
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – To taste.
What Is The Best Beef To Use For Beef Vegetable Soup
It’s always easy to use Stew Meat, like we did. But you can also use you just about any cut of meat you’d like. Just cut them into about 1-inch pieces. Some people use Chuck Roast or even ground beef. If using ground beef, make sure you drain the grease after browning and before you add the other ingredients. Also, if you use ground beef, your soup probably won’t have to simmer as long.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
This soup is also great to make in a Slow Cooker! Just make sure your brown your beef first in a skillet before adding it to the slow cooker. Otherwise, just dump all your ingredients in and cook low for 6-8 hours and on high 4-6 hours.
And, if you are looking for an Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe, check it out on our sister site, amomsimpression.com!
Storage, Freezing and Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Leftovers should be good in your fridge for about 4-5 days. This soup reheats just find in the microwave or on a stove top.
Vegetable Beef Soup freezes great! Just let it cool to room temperature and put it in a freezer safe container or a freezer bag. It will be good in your freezer for about 3-4 months. Thaw out overnight in the fridge.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- DO YOU NEED TO BROWN YOUR BEEF? – Yes, you really do. It helps make the beef so tender and ensures that it gets properly cooked. You may need to brown the beef in batches, as they will need be in a single layer for proper cooking.
- USE THE FOND! – What can you add to your soup to give it more flavor? It’s already in there. Use the fond! What is fond? Fond is those browned bits of meat, garlic and onions that are stuck to the bottom of the pot. Use a wooden spoon or spatula and scape those off to float around in your broth for even more flavor!
- OTHER INGREDIENTS TO ADD – Some other ingredients you may want to throw in could include celery, okra, diced tomatoes, crushed red pepper, cauliflower, broccoli or even mushrooms!
- HOW DO YOU THICKEN UP SOUP? – If your broth is a little too thin for your liking, you can easily thicken it up with a cornstarch slurry. You can make this by combining equal parts water and cornstarch. Then just keep adding it until you get the consistency you like.
We hope you enjoy this Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe. Let us know how it turns out in the comment section. Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds stew meat
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables mine had peas, carrots, green beans, and corn
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 6 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and cook until warm.
- Add the stew meat, onion, and garlic to the pot and saute until the meat just begins to brown.
- Stir in the frozen vegetables, potatoes, Italian seasoning, beef broth, and water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, as needed, before serving.