Check out our easy Copycat Version of the famous Starbucks Blueberry Scone! With just a few simple ingredients and a couple minutes of prep you can satisfy your craving for this delicious breakfast treat anytime you want!
Why You Will Love Our Copycat Starbucks Scones
- SIMPLE AND EASY – We love making homemade versions of famous recipes because now we know exactly what we are putting in our bodies. We use simple, homemade ingredients in this recipe. And it’s a great beginner recipe that anyone can make!
- VERSATILE – Scones are great for a breakfast treat, an on-the-go afternoon snack or even a tasty dessert!
- DELICIOUS – Golden brown, buttery and slightly crispy and flakey on the outside. Delicious, soft and moist on the inside and busting with the sweet tart flavors of fresh blueberries! You’ll love these scones!
What Is A Scone?
Actually, there was a restaurant in my old hometown that claimed to have “the world’s best scones”. I grew up pretty familiar with what a quality scone is supposed to taste like. So, what is a scone? It is, in many ways, similar to a biscuit. Although a biscuit is made with more butter and generally comes out lighter and fluffier. Scones are usually made with a heavy cream for a more dense result.
There usually isn’t a lot of sugar in a scone. They get their sweetness from the toppings or fillings in them, not from the pastry itself. One of our favorites are these Strawberry Scones, but the sky is the limit! It is a perfect option if you are looking for a dessert that isn’t too sweet, decadent or overbearing.
Starbucks Blueberry Scone Recipe
Learning how to make Blueberry Scones is super easy. Just make sure you line the baking sheet for parchment paper and you use a pastry cutter to make sure the scones don’t stick and are the shape you want. They will come out looking as bright and fresh as a morning in late-May!
BLUEBERRY SCONE INGREDIENTS:
- FLOUR – Any A/P Flour will do. Make sure to have a little extra on hand to work with the dough.
- BAKING POWDER – This will make your scones rise and help give them that “sconey” texture.
- SALT – Just a pinch! Gives a good balance to the sweetness of the sugar and the blueberries.
- SUGAR – We actually use just 2 tablespoon of sugar in this recipe. I’ve seen people use more. You can edge it up a bit if you want a sweeter end product, but it may change the consistency a bit.
- BUTTER – Unsalted Butter. Cold. Cut into pieces. Blending in the cold butter is part of what makes a scone a scone. You may also want to use frozen butter and grate into shavings. This will make it easier to incorporate into the dry ingredients and will stay cold until it goes in the oven. The best way to cut in butter is with a pastry blender or using two forks.
- BLUEBERRIES – You really want to find the freshest, juiciest blueberries possible for this recipe.
- HEAVY CREAM – At least 35% fat or more.
How To Make Blueberry Scones
This is a great breakfast treat because they really are so easy to make! Simply mix together the dry ingredients. Then cut in the COLD butter. After that, create a well in the middle to pour in your heavy cream.
*TIP*– You really don’t want to overmix the the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients at any point. Always be combining ingredients until JUST mixed together. This is the best way to avoid flat, dense scones!
Once you have your dough, gently incorporate the fresh blueberries. Be very careful not to break them as you are combining them into the dough!
Then, just put it all on a cutting board and form a circle that is about 8 inches in diameter. Then, cut out wedges. Put them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake!
For the full instructions and more info, check out the recipe card below!
Can You Use Frozen Blueberries In Scones?
We opted for fresh blueberries. But you CAN use frozen blueberries if you’d like. Just don’t thaw them out first.
Can I Use Milk Instead Of Cream In Scones?
I would advise against it. You really need a thicker, heavier liquid to help gives these scones some weight. Even “full fat” whole milk will probably come up short. You can sub for buttermilk if you’d like. Or canned coconut milk if you need a non-dairy option.
Can You Make Scones Ahead Of Time?
You can certainly make this dough ahead of time. Since scones bake best when the dough is cold, there is no problem making the dough a couple hours or even a couple days ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Should Scones Have Eggs In Them?
You may have noticed that this recipe doesn’t use any eggs. Many recipes do. There is a bit of a controversy as to whether they should be made with eggs or not, Using eggs will help leaven and make the scones rise a bit more as they bake. But, we feel you get a more authentic scone texture without the eggs. So that’s what we do!
What Toppings Can You Put On Scones?
We kept these scones pretty simple and let the fresh blueberries do the talking. But, you can certainly add to the fun with some toppings. Some ideas would be a vanilla icing glaze. This is a super simple recipe to make. You just need 1 Cup of Confectioners Sugar, 2 Tbsp of Heavy Cream and 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract. Whisk it all together and drizzle it over your scones!
Or, you can simple sprinkle some confectioners sugar on top!
Another idea would be to brush some honey on top!
Storage and Freezing
You can store your scones at room temperature in an airtight container. They should stay good for about days. You can also freeze scones. Let them fully cool and then flash freeze them on a baking sheet or a cookie sheet in your freezer. Then put them in a freezer bag or freezer safe container. They will be good in your freezer for about 4 months. You can thaw out at room temperature.
Equipment To Help With This Recipe
- 3-TIERED COOLING RACK-Save counter space and cool all your baked goods at once!
- PASTRY CUTTER– A MUST for this recipe!
- BAKING SHEETS– Everyone needs new baking sheets. We try to replace ours annually.
- FUN MIXING BOWLS– These fun, colorful and stackable mixing bowls are super inexpensive and will be perfect for any baking adventure!
We hope you enjoy this Copycat Starbucks Blueberry Scones recipe. Let us know how they turn out in the comment section below. Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE TASTY BREAKFAST RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAKFAST MUFFINS
- BANANA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD LOAF
- EASY CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
Easy Blueberry Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powderPinch of salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp cold butter cut in pieces
- 1 cup blueberries fresh, preferably
- 1 cup heavy cream 35% fat or more
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Set aside.In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, pinch of salt and sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients until crumbs start to form.
- Fold in fresh blueberries.
- Form a well in the middle of the ingredients and pour in heavy cream, ½ cup at a time.
- Mix until a dough forms, being careful to not pop any of the blueberries.
- Pat dough onto a baking sheet, forming it into a flat circle about 8 inches in diameter.
- Cut to create 8 triangular shapes.
- Separate triangles from each other and re-place gently on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy