This Baked Brownie Oatmeal is an easy, delicious and nutritious breakfast for any morning of the week. With simple, wholesome ingredients and a few minutes to prepare, it’s the perfect way to start your day!
Why You Will Love Baked Brownie Oatmeal
- NUTRITIOUS – With healthy fats, complex carbs, protein and tons of fiber. And we’ve got ways to make this gluten-free or dairy free.
- EASY RECIPE – This is so easy to throw together in the morning. Just a couple of quick steps and this will be baking in your oven, filling your kitchen with delicious smells!
- VERSATILE – There are several ways to change up this recipe to your tastes or dietary restrictions. Check out some inspiration below!
Baked Brownie Oatmeal Recipe
Yes, you stave your chocoholic craving and still have a nutritious recipe! And it’s so easy! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below, but here is what you’ll need to get started!
- OLD FASHIONED OATS – Any rolled oats will do. I would not use steel cut oats as they may not cook enough during baking. And oats are naturally gluten-free, making this great for all diets!
- UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER – Any brand will do. It gives this dish that rich, chocolate flavor.
- BAKING POWDER – A leavening agent that gives the oatmeal that light, fluffy texture.
- SALT – It’s always great to bake with salt to offset the sweetness of the dish.
- BROWN SUGAR – We used light brown sugar. It gives more depth of rich sweetness to the dish.
- MILK – We just used 2% milk. But you can also use any milk you want or need. Non-dairy milk like Soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk or oat milk will work.
- FRESH BANANA – Use a fairly ripe banana. You want some nice brown spots on them.
- BUTTER – We used unsalted. You can also use a nut butter to keep this dairy-free. Almond butter would work great.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – We always recommend using a high quality vanilla extract.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS – We used semi-sweet chocolate chips. But you can use any sort of chocolate chips that you’d like. Dark Chocolate Chips would be great in this recipe!
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
You should store your leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. You reheat it in the microwave or eat it cold.
Baked Chocolate Oatmeal freezes great! Just let it fully cool and then put it in a freezer-safe container. It should be good in your freezer for up to 4 months. Allow to cool in the fridge overnight.
Other Notes, Tips and FAQs
- CAN YOU MAKE BROWNIE BAKED OATMEAL AHEAD OF TIME? – You can also make this ahead of time the night before for an even easier meal prep in the morning.
- TOPPINGS IDEAS – For an extra morning treat, try topping with whipped cream or ice cream. Or drizzle some maple syrup or honey on top. Spread nut butter, peanut butter. Top with chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, coconut flakes, Greek yogurt or strawberries.
- CAN THIS BE SERVED AS A DESSERT? – Absolutely! Especially with some whipped cream and extra chocolate chips on top! Yum!
We hope you enjoy this delicious Baked Brownie Oatmeal recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section.
LOOKING FOR MORE BREAKFAST TREATS? TRY OUT OUR:
- 2 BANANA BREAD
- BANANA BAKED OATMEAL
- BISQUICK CINNAMON ROLLS
- BREAKFAST BLUEBERRY CASSEROLE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAKFAST MUFFINS
- OATMEAL BREAKFAST COOKIES
Baked Brownie Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the oats, cocoa powder, salt, and brown sugar.
- Add the milk, banana, butter, and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan and top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the center is no longer jiggly and the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.