This Cream Cheese Chicken Chili is classic comfort food all the way! Tender chicken and beans are cooked in a flavorful, creamy sauce. Perfect for family dinners, feeding a crowd or game day!
Why You Will Love Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- EASY RECIPE – With just a handful of common ingredients and a couple minutes of prep, this is such a simple, straightforward recipe that is just about impossible to mess up!
- GREAT FOR ANY OCCASION – Whether you need to feed a crowd during game day, or just need a quick family dinner with leftovers for tomorrow, this chicken chili is great for any day, any time of year!
What Is White Chicken Chili?
This is also sometimes called “White Chicken Chili”. Regular chili (made with ground beef) usually has a tomato base, and is dark red on color. Chicken Chili often has chicken broth, cream cheese and heavy cream which give it a much lighter (white color). While you CAN add tomatoes into a white chili (and we do!), it just gives it a splash of color.
How To Make Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- BUTTER – To saute your onions and garlic. We used unsalted butter.
- ONION – Finely chopped. We used a yellow onion for it’s sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use a red onion if you’d like.
- GARLIC – Gives that important depth of flavor.
- CHICKEN BROTH – Can substitute for reduced sodium chicken broth if you’d like.
- CHILI SEASONING MIX – One packet of any brand will do.
- CORN – One can of corn. It can be yellow corn or white corn. You do NOT need to drain the can.
- CANNELLINI BEANS – 2 cans, drained and rinsed.
- GREEN CHILIS – one 7-ounce can to give this dish just a little heat.
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS – Can also use tenderloins or even boneless skinless thighs.
- CREAM CHEESE – Cubed. You can use reduced fat cream cheese if needed, but it will effect that texture and flavor of this dish. Philadelphia Cream Cheese now makes some flavored varieties that would go great in this dish; like their Jalapeno Cream Cheese or their Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese.
- HEAVY CREAM – Gives this dish it’s rich, creamy sauce. You can substitute for half and half, but it will effect the the taste and texture.
Storage, leftovers and Freezing
You can store leftover chicken chili in your refrigerator in an airtight container. Chili reheats well in the microwave. Or on the stovetop over a medium heat.
I would not freeze Cream Cheese Chicken Chili. It will loose it’s consistency when it thaws out.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- HOW TO THICKEN YOUR CHILI? – If your chili comes out a little to thin for your liking, you can easily thicken it by mixing equal parts cornstarch and water. This is called a cornstarch slurry. Just add it to you chili until you achieve the desired consistency.
- ADD ROTEL TOMATOES – A lot of people like adding Rotel tomatoes, which are diced tomatoes with green chilis. There are several different varieties.
- WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN CHILI – This is best served with Mexican Cornbread, Regular Cornbread or any biscuits. Or Serve over Tortilla Chips to make some delicious Nachos! You can also serve this Chili over rice or spaghetti noodles.
- TOPPINGS – Top your chili with Tortilla Chips, Tortilla Strips, Fritos, Cilantro, Green Onions, Fresh Avocado, Guacamole, Sour Cream, Hot Sauce, Shredded Cheese, Jalapenos or Salsa.
We hope you enjoy this Cream Cheese Chicken Chili Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section. Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT TEX MEX DISHES? CHECK OUT:
- WENDY’S COPYCAT CHILI
- CROCKPOT CHICKEN SPAGHETTI
- HOT DOG CHILI
- ROTEL CHICKEN SPAGHETTI
- CHILI CREAM CHEESE DIP
Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 32- ounce containers chicken broth
- 1 packet chili seasoning mix
- 1 15- ounce can corn
- 2 15- ounce cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 7- ounce can green chilis
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, then stir in the garlic and continue cooking one more minute.
- Add the chicken broth, chili seasoning, corn, beans, green chilis, and chicken to the pot. Stir to mix.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool. When it’s safe to touch, shred the chicken with a fork.
- Add the cream cheese, heavy cream, and shredded chicken to the pot and continue simmering until the cream cheese is melted, around 15 minutes.
- If the soup is too watery, stir in the cornstarch mixture and continue simmering until the chili has thickened.