These Southern Baked Beans with Ground Beef are an easy, delicious recipe that works as a side dish or a main meal. Tender beans and ground beef in a tangy, flavorful sauce are baked to perfection.
Why You Will Love Baked Beans with Ground Beef
- A CLASSIC SOUTHERN DISH – This is one of those meals that will remind you of your grandma’s cooking! Simple, satisfying and delicious!
- PERFFECT FOR ANY OCCASION – These Southern Baked Beans are perfect for any cookout, picnic, tailgate, game day, potluck or pitch in!
- EASY RECIPE – With only 6 ingredients and a couple of minutes of prep, this such a simple and easy recipe! And there are a lot of great ways to add ingredients to make this dish even more tasty and fun!
How To Make Baked Beans with Ground Beef
This recipe simply couldn’t be easier! Simply brown the ground beef and saute the onions in a skillet. Add all the other ingredients, pour into a baking pan and bake!
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you need to get started:
- GROUND BEEF – We used 80% lean ground beef. But you can use whatever you’d like. You can also substitute ground chicken or ground turkey to make this dish a little lighter.
- ONION – Finely chopped. We used a yellow onion for it’s sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use a red onion if you’d like.
- CANNED PORK AND BEANS – We used Bush’s brand pork and beans. But you can use whatever brand.
- KETCHUP – Gives this dish it’s tangy, snappy flavor!
- MUSTARD – We used plain yellow mustard. But feel free to swap out for Dijon or Stone Ground Mustard.
- BROWN SUGAR – Gives this dish that rich, smoky flavor. We suggest using dark brown sugar, but light will work too.
Storage, Freezing and Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Leftovers should be good for up to 5 days. Reheat in a skillet on your stovetop or in the microwave. But baked beans can also be eaten cold.
You can freeze Baked Beans with Ground Beef. Let cool to room temperature and transfer to a freezer safe container or a freezer bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Baked Beans with Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipe?
You can make Southern Baked Beans in a Crock Pot. Simply brown your Ground Beef and saute your onions on the stovetop in a skillet. Then transfer all the ingredients to your Slow Cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours. Or high for 4-5 hours.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- DO YOU NEED TO USE PORK AND BEANS? – No, if you want to skip the pork, you can use just a can of beans. And, really, you can use any beans you’d like. Just make sure they are canned beans. If you use dry beans, they wouldn’t cook enough.
- ADD SOME SPICE – Make is spicy! Add some jalapenos or crushed red pepper.
- ADD BACON – Cook or fry up some crispy bacon and add it to the beans. Do no put raw bacon in this recipe.
- SUBSTITUTE SAUSAGE – Some people like to substitute ground beef for some smoked sausage.
- DO YOU HAVE TO PUT KETCHUP IN THIS RECIPE? – Nope! Some people like to put Heinz 57, BBQ Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce or Dijon mustard.
- ADD CHEESE – Get some shredded cheddar cheese and sprinkle it on top before putting it in the oven.
- WHAT TO SERVE WITH SOUTHERN BAKED BEANS? – This dish is delicious with some cornbread or coleslaw.
We hope you enjoy this Baked Beans with Ground Beef Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section!
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT SOUTHERN RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
Southern Baked Beans with Ground Beef
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 14 ounce cans pork and beans
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef and onion. Cook until the beef is browned and crumbled.
- Stir in the beans, ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
Leave A Reply!