This Crack Chicken Casserole is loaded with tender chicken, creamy sauce, ranch seasoning, bacon and topped with a buttery cracker crust. This dish will be a new favorite for family dinners.
What Is Crack Chicken?
If you’ve been frequenting recipe websites, you may have run across the term “Crack Chicken”. What is Crack Chicken? It is simply what you get when you start to combine ranch, cheese and bacon together. Often times, other ingredients can be added, such as onions and celery. Traditional Crack Chicken is awesome just on its own. But you can also use it to make sandwiches, wraps, dips or even a lettuce wrap.
We’ve now been seeing other version of Crack Chicken, like Crack Chicken Noodle Soup and Crack Chicken Pasta. So, we thought it was only natural to take this one step further and make our version of Crack Chicken Casserole!
How To Make Crack Chicken Casserole
As always here at Bubba Pie. We keep things simple, straightforward and easy. For step-by-step instructions, check out our printable recipe card below. But here is what you will need to get started:
- EGG NOODLES – Cooked and drained. But really, you can use any pasta you’d like.
- CHICKEN – Cooked and cubed or shredded. Or use rotisserie chicken for a shortcut!
- BACON – Cooked and chopped. You’ll want your bacon as crispy as possible.
- SOUR CREAM – If you want to lighten this dish up, you can use low fat sour cream.
- CHEDDAR CHEESE – Shredded. We like to shred our own instead of using the pre-shredded stuff. It melts better. You can really use any type of cheese you’d like!
- CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP – Adds all that creamy flavor! But really use can use any condensed “Cream of” soup you have on hand.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you can use whatever you’d like.
- RANCH SEASONING – One packet. Do NOT follow the directions on the packet, we just need the powder inside.
- RITZ CRACKERS – For that crispy, buttery topping!
- BUTTER – Melted. We used unsalted. The bacon will add enough saltiness.
- GREEN ONIONS – Chopped for a garnish.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
How To Serve
This casserole is just fine all on it’s own. But it would also go perfectly with a nice, healthy Grilled Vegetable Salad. Or, you could also serve with a bread offering, like these 7-Up Biscuits, Garlic Cheddar Biscuits or Drop Biscuits! Oh my! Yum!!!!!
Instant Pot Crack Chicken
We do have an Instant Pot Crack Chicken Recipe at our sister site, amomsimpression.com. This is actually one of our most popular recipes on that website! Check it out here!
Can You Freeze This Casserole?
Yep, like most casserole recipes, you can freeze this Crack Chicken Casserole. Simply allow it to cool down fully. Wrap it tightly with aluminum foil. If you can also fit it into a freezer bag, then great! Make sure you right the date that you froze it on the aluminum foil. It should be good in your freezer for about 3 months. Just take it out the night before to thaw in your fridge before you bake it!
We love to use these gallon sized freezer bags. They are tough, durable and have new grip and seal technology that makes them super easy to open and close.
Can You Make This Ahead Of Time?
Yes. You can assemble the ingredients in a prepared baking dish to the point just before you would put it in the oven. Do not put the cracker crust on top. Cover it and it should be fine in the refrigerator overnight. I wouldn’t make it more than 24 hours ahead of time.
Storage and Leftovers
As far as storing your casserole. Just keep it in the fridge and it should be good for about 3 days. We love to bake casseroles in our Le Creuset Casserole Dish because it comes with a lid! You can just keep your leftovers right in your casserole dish in the fridge! Otherwise, any airtight container will work
Or, if you are looking for something a little less expensive, this one works great too!
Notes, Tips and Variations:
This is my favorite part of writing up these recipes. There are so many fun ways to tweak and twist up comfort food recipes. Here are some ideas:
- Pasta- Try different kinds of pasta. Spaghetti, Penne or a shell-shaped pasta would be fun!
- Reduce Some Calories?- Don’t even ask how many calories are in this dish. Who cares?!?! But, if you want to trim some of the guilt, you can sub Greek Yogurt for the Sour Cream. And you can use Turkey Bacon instead of regular Bacon. You can also use Low Fat Cheese.
- Fun with Cheese- We used Cheddar Cheese and it was great. But feel free to mix it up a bit. Colby Jack, mix in some swiss, or pepperjack to add some kick!
- Add Some Kick- Speaking of adding spice, stir in half a cup of buffalo sauce into the mixture if you like a little heat!
- Chicken- We used boneless skinless chicken breasts. But using Chicken Thighs may add some moisture to this dish if desired. We also love to make casseroles with Rotisserie Chicken. In fact it’s a great idea to buy a couple Rotisserie Chickens from the store, break them down and keep them in the freezer. Another great idea is to use Leftover Turkey for this recipe. A great option for leftovers after the holidays!
- Alternative Topping- Try using Panko Bread Crumbs instead of the crackers.
- Fun Additions- Try adding peas for some color. Other veggies you could add would be spinach or mushrooms. Or one small can of Green Chiles or Jalapenos for some heat. Make sure you drain the can before adding.
We hope you enjoy this Crack Chicken Casserole Recipe. Let us know how it turns out in the comments section!
ALSO, MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR:
Crack Chicken Casserole
- 8 ounces egg noodles cooked and drained
- 4 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 1 cup cooked and chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can 10.5 oz, cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box.
- Add chicken, bacon, sour cream, shredded cheese, soup, milk and ranch dressing to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add Pasta into the bowl.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine crackers and butter and sprinkle on top of chicken. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Serve topped with green onions
Chicken- We used boneless skinless chicken breasts. But using Chicken Thighs may add some moisture to this dish if desired. We also love to make casseroles with Rotisserie Chicken. In fact it's a great idea to buy a couple Rotisserie Chickens from the store, break them down and keep them in the freezer. Another great idea is to use Leftover Turkey for this recipe. A great option for leftovers after the holidays! Alternative Topping- Try using Panko Bread Crumbs instead of the crackers. Fun Additions- Try adding peas for some color. Or one small can of Green Chiles or Jalapenos for some heat. Make sure you drain the can before adding.
Serve with Some Bread- These would go great with our Quick and Easy Drop Biscuits!