This Pumpkin Dump Cake is about to your next favorite Fall Dessert! Simple, easy and delicious, it just takes a few ingredients a couple of minutes to prepare!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- FULL OF FALL FLAVORS – We’ve got it all here: Pumpkin, Cinnamon, Brown Sugar, Cloves, Spice Cake and Pecans! This dessert is packed with all your favorite flavors for the Fall Season! Also, check out our Sweet Potato Dump Cake!
- EASY – This is a great beginner recipe, or a fun dessert for kids to help out with! Just mix your ingredients together in a baking dish and dump the cake mix and butter on top! Then let your oven do all the work!
- PERFECT FOR PITCH INS – This is the time of year when you are certain to have an office party, a potluck or a neighborhood pitch in! This is a great dessert to feed for a crowd and it’s easy to double and just bake both dump cakes at the same time in your oven!
What Is A Dump Cake?
Ok…. So what is a dump cake? It gets its name from how easy it is to make! You literally just dump all the ingredients into a 9″X13″ baking dish and the top with a mixture of cake mix and butter! Pop it in your oven and let your kitchen fill up with the amazing aromas of Fall!
Dump Cakes come out a lot like Cobblers. In fact, our Peach, Cherry, Apple and Blueberry Cobbler all basically dump cakes made with cake mix. These are some of our most popular dump cake recipes. You should really check them out!
How To Make Pumpkin Dump Cake
There are 3 basic parts to this easy Fall Dessert Recipe. Mix your Pumpkin Mixture ingredients, combine your topping ingredients and and then pour it all in your baking dish! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- PUMPKIN PUREE – Make sure you are using Pumpkin Puree, not Pumpkin Pie Filling. If you really need to, you can use Pie Filling, but that has sugar added to it and your dessert may be too sweet.
- EVAPORATED MILK – Adds a creaminess to your pumpkin filling.
- LARGE EGGS – If possible, let your eggs come to room temperature before using.
- SUGAR – We use an even mixture (1/2 cup each) of brown and white sugar. But you can adjust and use more of one or another if you prefer.
- SPICES – A mixture of Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Salt and Cloves for that delicious fall flavor!
- SPICE CAKE MIX – We like using Spice Cake Mix for this recipe. But you can use any cake mix you’d like. Pillsbury has their Perfectly Pumpkin Cake Mix, or you could even just use a Yellow Cake Mix or White Cake Mix.
- BUTTER – Unsalted. Melted. See below for more info about the butter.
- PECANS – Crushed. Optional for your topping.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
You probably don’t need to store Pumpkin Dump Cake in the refrigerator, but we think it will last longer if you store it in an airtight container in your fridge. It’s best served heated and reheats just find in the microwave.
We usually don’t like to freeze dump cakes. As they thaw, that nice crispy topping often becomes a little soggy.
Do You Need To Use Melted Butter In Dump Cakes?
The key part of getting that delicious topping in your dump cake is to combine your dry cake mix and melted butter. You can do this one of four ways:
- MELT BUTTER AND COMBINE IT WITH CAKE MIX
- MELT BUTTER AND JUST DRIZZLE IT OVER TOP OF THE CAKE MIX
- CUT THE STICK OF BUTTER INTO THIN PATS OF BUTTER AND EVENLY DISTRIBUTE
- FREEZE THE BUTTER AND GRATE IT EVENLY OVER THE CAKE MIX.
All 4 of these methods will work. And you can get slightly different results. You can experiment to see what you like best!
What Are The Best Toppings For Pumpkin Dump Cake?
Serving this dessert warm is best. And topping it with something fun and yummy is an even better idea! Here is some inspiration.
- ICE CREAM – Vanilla or Caramel Ice Cream
- NUTS – Crushed Walnuts or Pecans. Or even Almonds
- WHIPPED TOPPING – Any sort of whipped cream. Homemade or store bought.
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- CRUSHED GRAHAM CRACKERS
- TOFFEE BITS
We hope you enjoy this Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section. Happy Eating!
Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 1 large can 29 oz, pumpkin puree
- 1 can 12 oz, evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 box 15.25 oz, spice cake
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs.
- Add sugars. Mix well.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves and mix well.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Mix together cake mix and butter. Mixture will be crumbly. Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Add chopped pecans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and center is set. Let cool before serving.