These mini pigs in a blanket are such a quick and easy appetizer for any occasion. From watching to big game to graduation parties, these easy finger foods are perfect for a crowd. I’ve also included a recipe for a super easy, two-ingredient chili cheese dipping sauce.
Finding The Perfect Appetizer
Whether you are celebrating a holiday or big event with your family or watching some sports with friends, food and drink can be the centerpiece of any occasion. Honestly, I’ve always had a soft spot for appetizers. I’d be happy with just having a spread of several different handhelds, mini bites or dips to choose from instead of any main courses.
From handheld sandwiches like thes Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels or these French Dip Sliders, to yummy dips like this Ham Salad Dip or this Velveeta Rotel Cheese Dip, you can always keep the party going with some tasty appetizers. But, one appetizer that always gets my motor running when I see it on the spread is Mini Pigs in A Blanket.
Mini Pigs In A Blanket
I love Mini Pigs In A Blanket because they are easy to make, easy to eat and there is so much that you can do with them. So, I’m not only going to teach you how to make them, I’m going to give you some additional ideas to dress them up for some extra flair!
Mini Pigs In A Blanket With Chili Cheese Sauce
So, how could I possibly make this food from heaven any better? Well, I’ve also always loved Chili Cheese Hot Dogs. So, what if I combined my love for mini pigs in a blanket with my affection for chili cheese hot dogs? What if I dipped my pigs in a blanket into some chili cheese dip? Voila! Can it get any better than this? Nope, it cannot.
How To Make Mini Pigs In A Blanket
I won’t spend a lot of time explaining this process. The recipe card below can walk you through it and you only need two ingredients: a package of crescent rolls and a package of little cocktail smokies. What I’d like to do is give you some ideas on how to dress these up for some extra fun and flavor!
Different Ways To Make Mini Pigs In A Blanket
- Use Regular Hot Dogs! If you don’t have mini wieners, don’t worry! You can use regular hot dogs for this recipe. Simply cut the hotdog up into one-inch portions.
- Add Cheese! Either you can buy the mini cocktail smokies that have cheese already in them or you can put a thin strip of sliced cheese inside the crescent roll along with the little smokies.
- Add toppings to your Pigs In A Blanket! Topping with Sesame Seeds or “Everything” Bagel Seasoning works great for this recipe. Before putting them in oven, brush the top of the crescent roll with melted butter or egg wash and add your seasoning.
- Dijon Mustard! You can also brush the inside of the crescent rolls with Dijon Mustard before putting the little smokies in. This will give it some added flavor!
What Dips Are Good For Pigs In A Blanket?
So many! This is one of those things can be dipped in just about anything. Some dips that I love to use are:
- Mustard- Dijon, Stone Ground, Spicy or Yellow
- Chili Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
Chili Cheese Dipping Sauce Recipe
But my absolute favorite thing to use for a Mini Pigs In A Blanket dip is this Chili Cheese Sauce. Again, this recipe only has 2 ingredients and is SOOOO easy. All you need is a can of Chili (with or without beans) and 1 package of Velveeta Cheese.
Simply put the can of chili in a crock pot and top with cubed Velveeta Cheese. Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
Can You Make Pigs In A Blanket Ahead Of Time?
Yep! This is another reason that this recipe is so awesome as an appetizer for a party or game day. You can do most of the work ahead of time and not be in the kitchen when all of the guests arrive. Simply assemble the crescent rolls and the wieners together, put them on a baking tray and cover with plastic or saran wrap. Keep in the fridge until you are ready to bake them. Make sure you wait to bake them until right when you are ready to serve them. These are certainly best served warm!
I hope you enjoy with mini pigs in a blanket with chili cheese dip recipe. Dig in!
mini pigs in a blanket with chili cheese dip
- 1 package cocktail wieners
- 1 package crescent rolls
- 1 can chili with beans
- 1 pound package Velveeta cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unroll crescent roll dough and slice into strips.
- Wrap each cocktail wiener with one strip of crescent roll dough.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until crescents are golden brown.
Chili Cheese Dip Recipe
- Place chili in the bowl of a crock pot.
- Top with cubed Velveeta.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.