These Mini Pigs in a Blanket are such a quick and easy appetizer for any occasion. From watching to big game to graduation parties, this easy appetizer recipe is perfect for any occasion where you’d need to feed a crowd. And our bonus recipe for Chili Cheese Dip goes perfectly with them!
Why You Will Love These Mini Pigs In A Blanket
- PERFECT TO SHARE – This is handheld finger food that is so easy to grab and go! Or grab (dip) and go! So it’s perfect to feed a crowd or bring to a party.
- EASY – Only 2 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time to get this recipe in the oven. Just wrap some cocktail weiners (also called lil’ smokies) in store bought refrigerated crescent dough. Pop them in the oven and you can enjoy time with your guests and not have to work in the kitchen all night!
- KID FRIENDLY – This recipe is the perfect size for little hands. The kids always love these mini pigs in a blanket!
- VERSATILE – There are lots of ways to dress these pigs up! Red below for some inspiration.
Why Do They Call Them Pigs In A Blanket?
So, why do the even call them Pigs In a Blanket? Well, it’s because they are composed of hot dogs (the pig) wrapped up in dough (the blanket). Not sure who came up with this name but it’s brilliant! Often time you’ll see full sized hot dogs wrapped in dough. But these mini weiners make the perfect appetizer!
Chili Cheese Dipping Sauce Recipe
But my absolute favorite thing to use for a Mini Pigs In A Blanket dip is this Chili Cheese Sauce. Again, this recipe only has 2 ingredients and is SOOOO easy. All you need is a can of Chili (with or without beans) and 1 package of Velveeta Cheese.
Simply put the can of chili in a crock pot and top with cubed Velveeta Cheese. Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
What Other Dips Can You Use?
Not a fan of Chili Cheese Dip? No problem! These Mini Dogs will taste delicious dipped into just about anything. Some dips that I love to use are:
- MUSTARD– Dijon, Stone Ground, Spicy or Yellow
- CHILI SAUCE
- BBQ SAUCE
- HONEY MUSTARD
Can You These Ahead Of Time?
Yep! This is another reason that this recipe is so awesome as an appetizer for a party or game day. You can do most of the work ahead of time and not be in the kitchen when all of the guests arrive. Simply assemble the crescent rolls and the Li’l Smokies together, put them on a baking tray and cover with plastic or saran wrap. Keep in the fridge until you are ready to bake them. Make sure you wait to bake them until right when you are ready to serve them. These are certainly best served warm!
I hope you enjoy with mini pigs in a blanket with chili cheese dip recipe. Dig in!
Notes, Tips and Variations
- Use Any Meat! – If you don’t have mini wieners, don’t worry! You can use regular hot dogs for this recipe. Simply cut the hotdog up into one-inch portions. Or you could use small sausage links, kielbasa or any variation of L’il Smokies. Like these Cheddar Cheese ones!
- Keep The Dough Cold – It’s much easier to work with the dough when it’s cold. Stick it back in the fridge (or freezer) for a couple minute if needed.
- Add Cheese! – Either you can buy the mini cocktail smokies that have cheese already in them or you can put a thin strip of sliced cheese inside the crescent roll along with the little smokies. And you can use any sort of cheese you’d like. Sharp Cheddar, Swiss or Pepper Jack for some added heat!
- Can You Use Anything Besides Crescent Roll Dough? – You could also use puff pastry or any other refrigerated dough. You may have to roll the dough out flat in order to make work.
- Add toppings to your Pigs In A Blanket! – Topping with Sesame Seeds or “Everything” Bagel Seasoning works great for this recipe. Before putting them in oven, brush the top of the crescent roll with melted butter or egg wash and add your seasoning. You can do the same thing with Poppy Seeds.
- Dijon Mustard! – You can also brush the inside of the crescent rolls with Dijon Mustard before putting the little smokies in. This will give it some added flavor!
- Line Baking Sheet – These Mini Pigs In a Blanket could stick to your baking sheet or cookie sheet. So, it’s best to line it with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Or, at least spray it with cooking spray.
- Drain Cocktail Weiners – A lot of times, there is liquid in the packing of the meat. You may want to rinse them off and dry them off before wrapping them in the crescent rolls.
- Storage and Reheating – You can keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply put them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY APPETIZER RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
mini pigs in a blanket with chili cheese dip
- 1 package cocktail wieners
- 1 package crescent rolls
- 1 can chili with beans
- 1 pound package Velveeta cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unroll crescent roll dough and slice into strips.
- Wrap each cocktail wiener with one strip of crescent roll dough.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until crescents are golden brown.
Chili Cheese Dip Recipe
- Place chili in the bowl of a crock pot.
- Top with cubed Velveeta.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Leave A Reply!