These Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes take a classic comfort food dish from your childhood and combines it with one of the most famous sandwiches of all time! Meaty, cheesy and full of flavor, it’s a quick recipe, ready in just minutes. And, made all in one pan, cleaning up is so easy!
Why You’ll Love Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- NOSTALGIA – Just imagine that rich, tangy flavor of Sloppy Joes that we all remember from our childhood mixed with tons of gooey cheese, onions and bell peppers. Do I have your attention? We love this recipe because it’s so nostalgic and it is TOTAL comfort food at it’s best.
- EASY – It’s easy to make with easy, common ingredients that you probably already have.
- KID FRIENDLY – The whole family will love it, even your picky eaters. And leftovers taste just as good (if not better!) for lunch the next day!
A couple months ago, we shared the recipe for this AMAZING, Homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe. And we’ve also done a recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Pasta. We loved the idea of incorporating that famous sandwich into a pasta. So why not make it into a Sloppy Joe too?
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Storage and Freezing
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should stay good for up to 4 days.
To freeze, allow to cool and put in a freezer safe container. It will be good in your freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw out overnight in your refrigerator.
This recipe reheats just fine in your microwave.
How To Serve Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
This sandwich goes great with some french fries, sweet potato fries or tater tots. Otherwise, you could serve it with a Classic Potato Salad, Ranch Roasted Potatoes, Rotini Pasta Salad, Macaroni and Cheese or some Green Beans.
You can serve it on a traditional Hamburger Bun like we did. Or a Sesame Seed Bun would be awesome!
You can also serve this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe on Hawaiian Buns!
For gluten free options, you can serve them over french fries or tater tots. Or put it all on a baked potato!
Other Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- ADD MUSHROOMS – Some people like sliced mushrooms on their philly cheesesteaks. We omitted them but you can go for it! You can also add some corn or even tomatoes!
- ADD HEAT – Add a dash of hot sauce, sliced jalapenos or green chilis for a little bit of a kick!
- BROILER – After adding the cheese, you can put in under a broiler for about 30 seconds to help melt the cheese.
- TOAST YOUR BUNS! – Some people like to butter their buns and put them on a hot skillet for a minute to toast them. This will help the bun from getting soggy from the beef mixture.
- USE A LARGE SKILLET – Make sure you use a nice, large skillet to fit all your ingredients in and you can stir the meat mixture easily. We like to use this one.
We hope you enjoy this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes Recipe. Please let us know how it turns out for you in the comments!
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 a red pepper seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 a green pepper seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 of an onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- hamburger buns
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add ground beef to a skillet and heat over medium high heat until browned.
- Drain grease and return to pan.
- Add peppers, onion, garlic and heat over medium heat for an additional five minutes.
- Add water, bouillon cubes, Worcestershire and cornstarch and heat over medium until bubbly.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until hot.
- Serve on top of hamburger buns with shredded cheese.