This Sloppy Joe Casserole is a delicious, easy family dinner recipe for any night of the week. A fun twist on a classic recipe, it’s got tangy ground beef, tons of cheese and is topped with golden brown biscuits.
Why You Will Love Sloppy Joe Casserole
- EASY RECIPE – With just a handful of pantry staples and a couple minutes of prep, this casserole will be in your oven in just a couple minutes. It’s a great recipe for beginners and just about impossible to mess up! Perfect for families during busy weeknights.
- ONE SKILLET MEAL – If you use an oven-proof skillet, you can make the whole recipe in that. So dishes are a breeze!
- KID FRIENDLY – What kid doesn’t love sloppy joes!?!?! This is simply a casserole version of the classic sandwich! We promise, no tantrums at the table!
- HEARTY MEAL – This recipe can serve 8. So it’s great to feed a crowd, or to have as leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
Sloppy Joe Casserole
This is such a simple recipe. Really you just need to brown ground beef with the onions and bell peppers. Drain excess grease. Mix in the sauce and cheese and then transfer the ground beef mixture to a casserole dish and top with your biscuits. Then just throw it in the oven! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- GROUND BEEF – Use whatever percent lean ground beef you’d like. Or, if you want to make this a little leaner, use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- ONION – Chopped or diced onion. We like yellow onions for their sweeter, milder flavor. But feel free to use red onions if you’d like.
- RED BELL PEPPER – seeds removed and chopped. We love Red Bell Pepper in this recipe. But use a Green Bell Pepper or any color you’d like.
- SLOPPY JOE MIX – Any can of Sloppy Joe Sauce will do. We used Manwich Sauce. But, if you’d like to make your own homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce check out the sauce we use for our Homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe.
- SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE – Feel free to substitute for any shredded cheese that sounds good to you.
- REFRIGERATED JUMBO BUTTERMILK BISCUITS – Any brand will work! We used Pillsbury.
Storage, Heating and Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Leftovers should be good for about 3-4 days. The biscuit topping may get a bit soggy over time. You can reheat this in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Or in the microwave.
I would not freeze Sloppy Joe Casserole. That biscuit topping just won’t thaw out very well.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- SUB TATER TOTS – I’ve seen some versions of this recipe that top the casserole with Frozen Tater Tots and Cheese. If you do this, I’d bake it at 375 for about 10 minutes more. You’ll know it’s done when the tater tots become golden brown.
- ADDITIONS AND MIX INS – Add frozen peas, frozen corn or diced tomatoes to this recipe. Or add some sliced jalapenos for a little spice. Or you could add crushed red pepper flakes.
- USE VELVEETA CHEESE – Some people like to mix in Velveeta or any other processed cheese instead of the shredded cheddar cheese. Feel free to do that.
- WHAT TO SERVE WITH SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE – This dish would be great with just about anything you’d serve with a Sloppy Joe Sandwich! Baked beans, green beans, coleslaw, mac and cheese or potato salad would all be great!
- WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE AN OVEN PROOF SKILLET? – If you don’t have a round cast iron/ovenproof pan, I’d suggest a 9×9 baking dish. Round would be ideal, but square would wok, too.
We hope you enjoy this Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe. Let us know how it turns out in the comment section!
ALSO BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE RECIPE:
- PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SLOPPY JOES
- PIZZA CASSEROLE
- RITZ CRACKER CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- WALKING TACO CASSEORLE
- BIG MAC CASSEROLE
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 1/2 a red bell pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 1 can 15 oz, sloppy joe mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tub 16 oz, refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a 10" ovenproof skillet, add ground beef, onion and peppers.
- Heat over medium high heat, breaking apart beef and mixing in onions and peppers. Stirring occasionally, brown beef. Remove from heat and drain grease.
- Stir in sloppy joe sauce.
- Add cheese.
- Spread mixture in an even layer in the skillet. Top with biscuits.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until biscuits are cooked and golden brown. Serve immediately.