Add a little Fiesta to your mornings with this Easy Mexican Breakfast Casserole. Full of bold South of the Border flavors, it’s a fun breakfast recipe that will win over any crowd. Make it ahead the night before for an easy breakfast!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
First of all, who doesn’t love breakfast casseroles?!?! We love them in this house! They are perfect to make on a Sunday afternoon and then eat as a quick and easy breakfast throughout the week. They are easy to tweak to your specifications or diet. And you can even make them the night before, so all you need to do is stick them in the oven when you wake up!
This Mexican Breakfast Casserole is a lot like our Traditional Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole. We just substitute a lot of the ingredients for Tex-Mex inspired ingredients. And like a lot of other casseroles, there are tons of ways you can tweak this to make it just to your liking! We’ll give you some suggestions below, but the sky’s the limit!
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to get started. Again, you can add and subtract from most of the items on here. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below.
- BREAKFAST SAUSAGE – One pound of any Breakfast Sausage will work. But you can use any sausage you like, including Italian or Mexican Chorizo. If you don’t want to use sausage at all, you can substitute for diced or ground chicken or ground turkey.
- BELL PEPPERS – We used one green and one red bell pepper. But use whatever kind you’d like to add color or flavor to the dish.
- ONION – Red or yellow onion, it doesn’t matter.
- DICED TOMATOES WITH GREEN CHILIS – RO-TEL tomatoes are perfect, but any brand will do. Sometimes you can find different heat levels. But however spicy you want it to be!
- TACO SEASONING – Any brand, any spice level.
- FROZEN HASH BROWNS – We used shredded potato hash browns. You could also use tater tots if you’d like or if that is what you’ve got.
- TACO BLEND CHEESE – We think this cheese works best in this dish. But substitute for Colby Jack, Jalapeno Jack or even just Cheddar Cheese would work fine.
- EGGS – 8 Large Eggs.
- MILK – We like to mix our eggs with a little milk to make the egg mixture more creamy. You can skip this if you’d like. We used 2%, but use any you’d like.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
Storage and Freezing
Store leftovers in an Airtight Container in your refrigerator. Leftovers should be good for up to 5 days. They reheat just fine in the microwave. Or, you can reheat in the oven at 350 degrees until heated through.
You can also freeze leftovers. Let it cool fully. Wrap the casserole dish in aluminum foil or a freezer bag (or both) and it will last in your freezer 3-4 months. You can also divide it up into individual servings, so you only take out what you need as you need. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as described above.
Can You Make Mexican Breakfast Casserole Ahead of Time?
Yep! You sure can. This is a great recipe to make the night before. Just follow steps 1-6, cover and then stick in your refrigerator. Then just stick it in a preheated oven in the morning for an easy breakfast! You can also preheat it before it is cooked. Again, just follow the first 6 steps and put it in a freezer safe container. It will keep for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in your refrigerator and cook as described in the recipe card.
Gluten Free and Vegetarian Options
This recipe is easy to make both Gluten Free and Vegetarian. It is actually already naturally gluten free, just check your labels to make sure there isn’t anything added to the hashbrowns or anything else that would violate the rules.
To make this dish vegetarian, you can use Vegetarian Sausage. Or, you can omit the sausage all together and substitute with more vegetables. Black Beans would work great. So would Baby Bella Mushrooms!
Mexican Breakfast Casserole Toppings
As you can see from the pictures, we left the toppings off of our casserole so that you could get a better view of the finished product. But you can really load the toppings on here to make this breakfast dish soar! Some ideas would be:
- DICED RED ONION
- DICED AVOCADO
- SLICED JALAPENOS
- SOUR CREAM
- PICO DE GALLO
- FRESH DICED TOMATOES
- CRUSHED TORTILLA CHIPS
- SALSA OF YOUR CHOICE
- GREEN ONION
Other Notes, Tips and Variations
- HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY CASSEROLE IS DONE? – This can be tricky on Breakfast Casseroles. The best way to know is when the center isn’t jiggly anymore and you can’t see any egg rising up and floating in the middle.
- SUBSTITUTE HASH BROWNS? – If you aren’t a fan of potatoes, there are some recipes out there that use tortillas instead of Hash Browns. We haven’t tried this, but go for it! I’d use a corn tortillas instead of a flour tortilla. And I’d layer it on top of the other ingredients instead of putting it at the bottom of the baking dish.
- SERVE WITH A DASH OF HOT SAUCE – I’m one of those people that loves to put some hot sauce on my eggs. This is a perfect opportunity to do that! Yum!
We hope you enjoy this Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe. Please let us know how it turned out in the comment section below!
LOOKING FOR MORE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
Easy Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 10.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 30- ounce package frozen hash browns
- 2 cups shredded taco blend cheese divided
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown the sausage with the bell peppers and onion in a large skillet.
- When the sausage is cooked through, add the diced tomatoes with chilies and taco season. Stir to combine. Cook over medium heat until the liquid from the tomatoes has reduced. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine the hashbrowns with one cup of shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper and spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top the hashbrowns with the sausage mixture.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour the mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted.