Why You’ll Love This Recipe
HEARTY – Looking to feed a crowd or are entertaining guests for brunch during the holidays? This is the perfect breakfast to whip up that will fill everyone’s bellys!
EASY – Using refrigerated biscuit dough, it’s so easy to assemble this breakfast casserole. You can even make it ahead of time so that you just need to throw it in the oven in the morning. And this is all using simple ingredients that are pantry staples. I’m willing to bet you have most of these ingredients in your kitchen right now!
DELICIOUS – Who doesn’t love biscuits and gravy!??!?! Those freshly baked biscuits topped with a homemade gravy, all baked together with tons of cheese just can’t be beat!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole Ingredients
- REFRIGERATED BISCUITS – We used Pillsbury Grands Southern Homestyle Biscuits and they worked out great. But you can use whatever you’d like. Some have stated that Grands were perfect but others said it resulted in “too much” biscuits in the casserole. So you can use “smaller” biscuits if you are worried about that.
- PORK SAUSAGE – 1 lb of pork sausage. Cooked and drained. Any type you’d like.
- CHEESE – We used shredded cheddar cheese. But you can use Monterey Jack, Colby, Swiss or any other cheese. We always recommend buying a block of cheese and shredding it yourself instead of buying the pre-shredded cheese. it melts better.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. For a little thicker, creamier gravy, you can use whole milk. I would not use less fat than 2% though.
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
Can You Make Biscuits and Gravy Casserole Ahead Of Time?
Yes. You can assemble this casserole up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and put it in your refrigerator. I’d take it out and let it sit at room temperature while the oven is preheating.
You can also either just brown the sausage ahead of time. So that you’ll have the cooked sausage ready to go in the morning. Or make the sausage gravy ahead of time. Keep it in the fridge to make things go a little quicker in the morning.
Can You Use Homemade Biscuits?
Yep! You sure can! This recipe for 7-up biscuits would work great! Or these Copycat Cracker Barrel Biscuits! Just prepare the dough according to the instructions and use it to replace the store bought dough.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
Another great thing about this casserole is that leftovers taste amazing! Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should be good for up to 3 days.
You can freeze this casserole. Just allow it to cool and then wrap it tightly in freezer wrap or aluminum foil. It should be good in your freezer for up to 4 months. Allow to thaw overnight in your refrigerator.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- ADD BACON – Cook up some bacon and add some bacon crumbles on top of this casserole.
- GREASE THE BAKING DISH – It is really important to grease your baking dish really well, or else you’ll have some sticky biscuits!
- GRAVY TOO THICK OR TOO THIN? – If your gravy is too thick, simply add a dash of milk until it is the consistency that you like. If it’s too thin, add a little more flour.
- CAST IRON SKILLET – We recommend cooking your sausage in a cast iron skillet, then before cleaning it, making your gravy in the same skillet. That way you can scrape all the brown bits up into the gravy for extra flavor.
Tools To Help With This Recipe
We hope you enjoy this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole Recipe! We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section!
LOOKING FOR MORE BREAKFAST CASSEROLES? CHECK OUT:
OR CHECK OUT OUR ROUNDUP OF 41 BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 12 refrigerated southern homestyle biscuits
- 1 lb pork sausage cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese divided
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk divided
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 12 biscuits into the pan in a single layer. Brown sausage.12 refrigerated southern homestyle biscuits
- Sprinkle cooked sausage on top of the biscuits.1 lb pork sausage
- Add 1 cup cheese on top of the sausage.1-1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Mix together eggs and 1/2 cup milk. Season with salt and pepper.6 eggs, 3 cups milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour on top of the sausage and cheese mixture and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add flour, remaining 2-1/2 cups milk, salt and pepper and whisk well. Heat over medium high heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly.1/4 cup all purpose flour, 3 cups milk
- Remove from heat and pour on top of pan.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.1-1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.