This Ham and Noodle Casserole is a super easy family dinner for busy weeknights. With only 6 ingredients, it only takes 10 minutes to prepare and has tender egg noodles, broccoli and chunks of ham baked in a cream sauce! This is what comfort food is all about! And it’s a great use for leftover ham!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
EASY PREP – Need to throw something together for a quick dinner on a busy weekday night? This ham casserole is a great option! Just layer your ingredients in a casserole dish and let the oven work it’s magic!
GREAT USE FOR LEFTOVER HAM – This is a great recipe to make for family that may still be in town after the holidays. Use that leftover Ham from Thanksgiving or Easter. You can also easily substitute for any other leftover meat like Turkey or even Corned Beef!
GREAT BASE RECIPE – This recipe tastes great and has tons of delicious flavor just how it’s written, it’s also a great base recipe that is perfect to add other ingredients to in order to make it your own. Read below for some ideas and inspiration!
Ham And Noodle Casserole
Like I mentioned above, just 6 common ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen and your ready to start cooking! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- EGG NOODLES – Cooked egg noodles are best for this recipe. You can try substituting for another pasta (bowtie, penne or macaroni would be yummy) but we honestly haven’t tried this and cannot guarantee how it will turn out.
- HAM – Cooked ham cut into chunks, cubes or really however you want them in the casserole. And, again, you can substitute for any leftover meat you may have laying around.
- BROCCOLI – We use one package of frozen broccoli. There is no need to thaw it first. Just throw it in. Can you use Fresh Broccoli for a Ham and Noodle Casserole? Yep! You sure can! You may need to add a couple of minutes to the cooking time to make sure they are cooked tender.
- CHEDDAR CHEESE – We used 2 cups of Mild Cheddar Cheese. But you can use Sharp Cheddar, Swiss Cheese, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Pepper Jack or any combination of cheese that sounds good for you. We also advise buying a block of cheese and shredding your own. It melts better than the pre-shredded stuff.
- CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP – 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup. You can certainly substitute for any “cream of” soup. Cream of Celery Soup or Cream of Mushroom Soup would work fine. You can also make your own homemade cream of chicken soup.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you can lighten this dish up a bit by using low fat or skim milk. Or, go the other way by using half and half or heavy cream.
Storage, leftovers and freezing
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It should be good in your fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
You can freeze Ham and Noodle Casserole as well. Just let it fully cool and then put it in a freezer safe container, wrap it in foil or large freezer bag. It will be good in your freezer for up to 4 months. Allow to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Can You Make Ham and Noodle Casserole Ahead Of Time?
If you want to assemble this casserole a couple hours ahead of time and let it hang out in your refrigerator until your ready to bake it, you can do that. But I wouldn’t let it sit too long or the noodles will start to get too soft.
Notes, Tips and FAQS
- DOES HAM AND NOODLE CASSEROLE HAVE A TOPPING? – We did not put a topping on our version. But that doesn’t mean you can’t. You can put some breadcrumbs on top. Or you can mix crushed Ritz Crackers with some butter and sprinkle them on top. Check out our Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole for more information on how to do this. You can also top your casserole with crispy onions.
- OTHER VEGGIES? – Add another other frozen vegetable to this casserole. Frozen peas and carrots would work great. Green beans would also be delicious!
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT CASSEROLE RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
- TATER TOT CASSEROLE WITH GREEN BEANS
- TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
- WALKING TACO CASSEROLE
- BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- BROCCOLI CHEESE CASSEROLE
Ham and Noodle Casserole
- 8 ounces egg noodles cooked
- 1 1/2 cups chopped ham
- 1 package frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain water and set aside.
- Spread half the noodles in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Top with half the broccoli florets, half the cheese, and half the ham.
- Repeat the layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together and stir the cream of chicken and milk.
- Spoon the mixture over all the ingredients.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.