Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Let’s face it, broccoli and cheese just go so well together! And it seems that some of our favorite restaurants have figured that out! A couple of weeks ago, we published a copycat recipe for Cracker Barrel’s Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Casserole. That gave us the idea to keep that Broccoli and Cheese Recipe Train rolling with this fun recipe!
EASY – Just 4 ingredients and a couple of minutes to prepare. Just mix them together in a casserole dish and stick them in the oven to bake. A lot of Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Casserole Recipes need condensed soup. But not for this one!
KID FRIENDLY – This is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies! Even picky eaters will gobble this one up!
DELICIOUS – Tons of gooey cheese topped with that buttery cracker crust. Oh man, this is comfort food at it’s best!
BETTER THAN CHEDDARS – Cheddars Broccoli Casserole Recipe is a famous, classic side dish. But we love our version because we can make it in our own kitchen for a lot less. And we know that we are using simple, wholesome and homemade ingredients in our version.
Cheddars Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Ok, are you ready to make this famous side dish in y0ur own kitchen? For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- FROZEN BROCCOLI – We use one 32 ounce bag of frozen broccoli florets or pieces. You don’t need to cook them ahead of time but you do need to thaw them and drain them.
- VELVEETA CHEESE – You can use any kind of processed cheese, it doesn’t need to be velveeta. Just make sure you cube velveeta into smaller squares. Velveeta DOES have newer, fun flavors of cheese you could try substituting, like Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Mexican Blend, Queso Blanco and Jalapeno.
- CRACKERS – One sleeve of Ritz crackers. Crushed. Any brand of buttery crackers will do
- BUTTER – 1/4 cup of butter. Melted. You’ll combine this with your crackers for that delicious topping!
- SALT AND PEPPER – Salt and black pepper to taste.
What Is The Best Way To Crush Crackers?
Really, the best way to crush crackers is to keep them right in the sleeve they came in. Just carefully open the top of the sleeve and gently crush them straight down on the counter. Keep the opening closed just enough to avoid a mess but open enough to let air out.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
You can store your leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should stay good in your fridge for up to 5 days. This dish reheats just fine in the microwave.
While you CAN freeze this recipe, the processed cheese may not reheat very well. So I would advise against freezing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Fresh Broccoli
Yes, you can certainly use fresh broccoli. If you do this, you may need to bake the casserole for a little bit longer in order for the broccoli to be tender.
Can I Add Rice To This Dish?
Some versions make this into more of broccoli and rice casserole into them. To do this, simply add cooked rice to the recipe, stir it together and bake it as described. You can also just serve this over rice. Make a quick batch of minute rice and this will become an easy main course for a family dinner.
Can I Use Cauliflower Instead Of Broccoli?
Yes, Cauliflower and Cheese Casserole would also be delicious! We have this Cauliflower Au Gratin Recipe that you may find delicious as well!
What Other Vegetables Can I Put In This Casserole?
You can add Bell Peppers, Onions (you will need to saute onion first), Cauliflower, Mushrooms, Peas and/or carrots.
Can You Add Protein?
Yep! Make this into a main course by adding chicken! Using rotisserie chicken for this purpose would be very easy!
How Do You Know When The Casserole Is Done?
The cracker topping should become a nce, gold brown. And the cheese should just start bubbling.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- CUT YOUR BROCCOLI – Some people like the large pieces of Broccoli Florets and some like smaller pieces. Feel free to use whatever size chopped broccoli you’d like.
- PREPARE YOUR BAKING DISH – Make sure you spray your cooking dish with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with butter.
We hope you enjoy this Copycat Version of Cheddars Broccoli Cheese Casserole. We’d love to hear how it turns out for you in the comment section! Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETABLE SIDE DISHES? CHECK OUT:
- CORN CASSEROLE WITH CREAM CHEESE
- CROCKPOT CHEESY POTATOES
- GARLIC BUTTER GREEN BEANS
- GEORGIA CRACKER SALAD
Cheddars Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 1 bag 32 oz, frozen broccoli pieces, thawed and drained
- 1 brick 16 oz, velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 sleeve about 31, buttery crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cut Velveeta Cheese into cubes.
- Add broccoli, velveeta and half of the cracker crumbs to the dish and mix well.
- Combine remaining cracker crumbs and butter and mix until you have a sand-like texture.
- Sprinkle on top of broccoli and cheese mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and heated through. Serve immediately.
Comments & Reviews
The rice is missing from the recipe. Can you update please?
Hello! I’m sorry, I don’t understand… there IS no rice in our recipe. I mention in the body of my text that you CAN add rice, and give you instructions to do so if you want. I hope that answers your question.
Hi Kathy! I’ve saved so many of your recipes that I could write a book🤔😏 A cookbook that is 😅 Now to business (🤫 p.s. hope all is going great for you!) I love this broccoli cheddar bake! All the goodness of the same name soup but without all the calories😀 bonus….it has green beans🤩
Question: I’d like to add precooked chicken to make this an entree for a potluck coming up. Would I need some kind of liquid so nothing goes dry? Or change oven temp/time? It you or any of your terrific followers has tried these variants, I’d be delighted to hear back. Thanks Kathy!
We are so glad you enjoy the recipes and thanks so much for reaching out. With adding precooked chicken… I’m not sure. Maybe add a can of cream of chicken soup with it? I’ve also seen some broccoli chicken casseroles that add rice as well. So you could do that along with the chicken to make this dish go even further! Stay in touch and let us know how it worked out!