This Cornbread Cowboy Casserole is an easy family dinner that is sure to fill up even the hungriest tummies! A cheesy layer of seasoned ground beef, onions and beans is topped with cornbread and baked to perfection for a delicious casserole dish perfect for a busy weeknight!
Why You Will Love Cornbread Cowboy Casserole
- HEARTY – This dish is full of hearty, wholesome ingredients that will not be leaving anyone hungry! It’s great to feed a crowd, or to have some leftover for lunch for the next couple of days!
- EASY – Made with just a few common pantry staples, you probably already have all these ingredients in your kitchen right now! After that, you just brown the ground beef and the onions, pile on the beans and cheese and layer it with your cornbread batter. And we use Jiffy Instant Cornbread Mix to make things even simpler!
- DELICIOUS – The seasoning of the ground beef and the sweetness of the cornbread work so well together! It’s a symphony of fun flavors that your tastes buds will love!
How To Make Cornbread Cowboy Casserole
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- GROUND BEEF – We use 80% lean ground beef, but you can use whatever you’d like. To lighten things up a bit, you CAN use Ground Turkey or Ground Chicken.
- ONION – Chopped. We recommend using a Yellow Onion for it’s milder, sweeter flavor.
- SEASONINGS – A mixture of paprika, salt and pepper.
- BEANS – Any kind of canned beans that you want to throw in here. We actually use a Beans and Pork Combo for an even heartier result. But you could do anything, even using a BBQ Bean variety to add some sweetness.
- CHEESE – Shredded Cheddar Cheese. We alway recommend shredding your own cheese off of a block of cheese rather than buying the pre-shredded stuff.
- CORNBREAD MIX – Any kind works. We used Jiffy Cornbread Mix.
CREAMED CORN – We add creamed corn to the cornbread mix to make this layer moist and soft and delicious.
- MILK – Used to make your cornbread layer. We used 2% but you can use whatever.
- EGG – 1 large egg.
Can You Use A Homemade Cornbread Recipe?
Yes! You sure can! If you have a homemade cornbread recipe you like, just make it and pour the batter on top of the meat mixture and it will work fine.
Do You Need To Use Canned Beans For This Recipe?
Yes. Using uncooked beans will require you to soak them, then cook them and it would considerably extend the prep time of this recipe. The canned beans taste perfect in this dish. But, if you want to omit the beans altogether, you could do that.
Notes and Tips
- DRAIN THE GREASE – Make sure you drain the grease after you brown the ground beef and before you add the spices.
- TEX-MEX FLAIR – There is a switch out the salt, pepper and paprika for taco seasoning. You can even add some Rotel tomatoes with chilis. Add some jalapeno to the cornbread mixture and top with sour cream!
- TOP OF CASSEROLE GETTING TOO BROWN? – All ovens cook dishes differently. If your casserole isn’t done, but the cornbread looks like it may burn, you can cover it with aluminum foil for the last couple of minutes.
- OTHER ADDITIONS – Some other ingredients that you could add to this dish are: cooked bacon, frozen corn, tomatoes, green chilis or bell peppers.
We hope you enjoy this Cornbread Cowboy Casserole Recipe. Let us know how it turns out for you in the comment section.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEARTY CASSEROLE RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
- TACO LASAGNA CASSEROLE
- WALKING TACO CASSEROLE
- BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- BIG MAC CASSEROLE
- CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
- COWBOY CASSEROLE
Cornbread Cowboy Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can 16 oz, pork and beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 box 8.5 oz, cornbread mix
- 1 can 14.5 oz, creamed corn
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add beef and onion to a pan or large skillet and heat over medium high heat, stir frequently until browned.
- Drain grease and season beef mixture with paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour into prepared casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Top with beans and shredded cheese.
- Mix together cornbread mix, creamed corn, milk and egg.
- Pour on top of meat mixture in baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until center is set when a toothpick is inserted. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Comments & Reviews
Elizabeth Moen says
Haven’t tried any of your recipes yet but this is my kinda cooking. Trying Cowboy Casserole tonight. I’ll be back tomorrow to tell you what I think. Elizabeth
Yes. Please come back and let us know how it worked out! This is one of our new ones!
Was looking for something different to cook for dinner tonight and think this is it.. Looks delicious.
Scherelynn Taylor says
Sounds and looks delicious. I’m going to give it a try for a quick supper this weekend.
This sounds delicious. I don’t have a box mix for the cornbt. What are your thoughts on using home made cornbread, please?
I don’t see why not. Got for it!
Can you use pinto beans or refried beans and how big a can do you use. Do you drain the beans