This Big Mac Casserole is a fun, easy family dinner for any night of the week. All your favorite flavors from America’s famous burger come together in this casserole topped with lettuce and Thousand Island Dressing.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- EASY – With just a couple common pantry ingredients and a couple of steps, this casserole can be thrown together in just a couple minutes! So this makes a great family dinner for busy weeknights. Or a great dish to bring to a potluck or pitch in.
- FUN – This is such an original, fun idea for a casserole dish! With the bright, fresh lettuce, pickles and dressing on top, it’s a vibrant dish that tells you how delicious this is gonna be!
- DELICIOUS – Ground beef and sauteed onions are mixed with Thousand Island Dressing, ketchup and mustard. It’s baked crescent roll dough and topped with lettuce and pickles. Are you excited to try this yet?!?!
Big Mac Casserole
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
Big Mac Casserole Instructions
- CRESCENT ROLL DOUGH – Any brand of store bought, refrigerated dough will do. We like the crescent roll dough because it lays flatter and will fit our baking dish better.
- GROUND BEEF – We used 80% lean ground beef. But use whatever you’d like. You could lighten this dish up by substituting ground turkey or ground chicken. But that will alter the taste.
- ONION – Finely diced. We use yellow onions because they are a bit sweeter and midler. But you can use red onions if you’d like.
- THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING – Any brand. The amount you want to ultimately use is up you.
- KETCHUP AND MUSTARD – Nothing fancy here. You can use the store brand, cheap stuff. We combine with with our dressing to get our “Big Mac Sauce” to put into the ground beef mixture.
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE – Adds a little depth and richness of flavor.
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – To taste.
- AMERICAN CHEESE – Some people use other types of shredded cheese. And you certainly can. But we feel good old American Cheese is where it’ at. Use shredded cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese, swiss cheese or anything else that sounds good.
- SHREDDED LETTUCE – Buy the pre-shredded stuff or shred your own.
- DILL PICKLES – Sliced pickles to put on top.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
You can store leftovers in an Airtight Container in your refrigerator and it should be good for about 5 days. The lettuce will start to get pretty soft pretty quickly, so you may want to take if off of the top after serving and keep it by in it’s own ziplock baggie.
You can freeze this casserole, but again, I wouldn’t freeze it with the lettuce topping. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- USE TATER TOTS – For a more “burger and fries” feel to this dish, you can line the bottom of the casserole dish with frozen Tater Tots instead of the crescent roll dough.
- OTHER TOPPINGS – Add some diced tomatoes, onions or bacon crumbles onto the lettuce mixture!
We hope you enjoy this Big Mac Casserole Recipe! We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comments section! Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY FAMILY DINNERS? CHECK OUT:
Big Mac Casserole
- 1 package crescent roll dough
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 cup thousand island dressing plus more for topping
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices American cheese cut into strips
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped pickles
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough and pinch the seams together. Place the dough in the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Bake the dough for 10 minutes, until just beginning to brown.
- While the crescent roll dough is baking, brown the ground beef with the onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the meat is fully cooked, add the thousand island dressing, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
- Spread the meat mixture over the top of the baked crescent roll dough and top with the sliced cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- When ready to serve, garnish with lettuce and chopped pickles, then drizzle thousand island dressing over the top.