These Crock Pot Black Eyed Peas are eaten on New Year’s Day every year to celebrate and bring luck to the coming year. This tradition is a way to use leftover ham for the holiday, this recipe is full of simple, wholesome and hearty ingredients. Ham, garlic, onions and tender black eyed peas are all cooked to perfection in your Slow Cooker!
Why Are Black Eyed Peas Eaten On New Years Day?
Southern Black Eyed Peas are about as traditional as it gets. They can be traced back centuries to Africa.
More recently, they have been around for decades as a traditional Soul Food Recipe eaten on New Year’s Day for good luck. It’s sometimes called a Hoppin’ John! Some recipes use bacon, smoked turkey, ham or even all three (!).
How To Make Crockpot Black Eyed Peas
I’ve seen Black Eyed Peas made several ways with different levels of complexity. But we are all about simple, real food for real people. So this is the easiest Black Eyed Peas Recipe you will find! And we will do this by using our Slow Cooker!
This Crock Pot Black Eyed Peas Recipe is going to be one of my new favorite Crockpot Recipes!
We are going to just use some simple cubed ham for our recipe. But if you want to add bacon, we aren’t here to stop you. Read below for instructions on this. What else will you need? Here ya go:
- BLACK EYED PEAS – Dry black eyed peas that are pre-soaked. You’ll want to soak them overnight. You can even just soak them in the Crock Pot if you want!
- HAM – Any ham will do. This is a great use for leftover ham from the holidays! Do you have an ham hock you need to use? Yep, you can certainly use it in this recipe. Just remove the ham cubes (and/or bacon) and put the ham bone in when cooking begins. When done cooking, remove the ham hock and get the meat off the bone. Simple add the meat into the Black Eyed Peas. If there is too much grease on the top for you, you can lay a paper towel over the top to soak some of it up.
- ONIONS – I LOVE onions in a slow cooker. They get so tender and add such a great texture and flavor to any dish.
- GARLIC – Minced garlic to add some depth of flavor.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
- VEGETABLE BROTH
Do You Have To Soak Your Black-Eyed Peas?
Do you NEED to soak the Black Eyed Peas? Not necessarily, but it will up the cooking time of this dish. You’ll probably need at least 10 hours on low or 6-7 hours on high. And make sure you rinse off the water it was soaking in.
Can You Use Frozen Black Eyed Peas?
Yes, you certainly can! You probably won’t need as much liquid. So I’d reduce the water and vegetable broth to about 3 cups total. You will cook for the same amount of time.
What To Serve With Black Eyed Peas?
This recipe works great all by itself. But you may want to pair it with:
Storage and Freezing
Store leftovers in an Airtight Container in your refrigerator. They should be good for about 4 days. Microwaving them is fine. But you can also heat them up on the stove.
You can also freeze Black Eyed Peas. Just make sure that you allow them to cool fully. I’d put them in individual servings of tupperware. You can also use freezer bags. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat them according to preferred method.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- ADD BACON?– Don’t mind if I do. Just cook the bacon until crispy in your preferred method. Set aside and then put into the Crockpot when your ready to start cooking.
- ADD SOME HEAT?– If you want to give this recipe a little kick in the pants, you can add some sliced jalapenos into the ingredients. I haven’t tried this yet but I want to! You could also add some Cayenne Pepper to the dish at the beginning of the cooking time.
- OTHER ADDITIONS? – Add Carrots, Peas, Bell Peppers, Celery or Diced Tomatoes. If adding tomatoes, do so towards the end of the cooking time.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES THAT USE LEFTOVER HAM? CHECK OUT:
- HAM SALAD DIP
- HAM AND PICKLE DIP
- HAM AND CHEESE MACARONI SALAD
- SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HAM
- HAM, GREEN BEANS AND POTATOES
- CHIPPED HAM SANDWICH
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas. Let me know how it turns out for you in the comments!
Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas
- 1 pound black eyed peas
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- Place the black eyed peas on a bowl and allow them to soak overnight.
- When ready to cook, drain the beans and add them to the bowl of the slow cooker. Add the ham, onions, garlic, pepper, salt, vegetable broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.