These Lemon Brownies are a delicious, easy dessert recipe exploding with fresh, citrus flavor.
Why You Will Love Lemon Brownies
- EASY – With only a couple ingredients and a few minutes to prepare, you probably already have most of what you need for this recipe right now! And it’s all combined in one bowl for an easy clean up. This is a great recipe for beginners, or to let your kids help out!
- DELICIOUS – Dense, fudgy, chewy and moist with the perfect kick of the sweet and tart lemon instead of chocolate. These Lemon Brownies have the taste and texture of blondies, and are sometimes referred to as Lemon Blondies. And topped with a subtle lemon glaze, this dessert is perfect for about any occasion.
Easy Lemon Brownie Recipe
I couldn’t be easier to make these brownies! Just mix all the ingredients together, pour it into your baking pan and then bake. While the brownies are cooling, make your glaze and drizzle it all over the finished product. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
For The Brownies
- BUTTER – Softened. You can use salted or unsalted.
- SUGAR – Granulated sugar.
- LARGE EGGS – If possible, bring your eggs to room temperature.
- FRESH LEMON JUICE – You will need juice from a REAL lemon. Not the stuff that comes in a bottle.
- LEMON ZEST – The zest from one lemon should be enough.
- FLOUR – Any brand of all purpose flour should work.
- SALT – It is always important to bake with salt to balance out the sweetness of this dessert.
For The Icing
- POWDERED SUGAR – Also called confectioner’s sugar.
- LEMON JUICE – Again, you want to use the real stuff!
Storage and Leftovers
Lemon Brownies do not NEED to be refrigerated. They are fine to store in an airtight container at room temperature. But you can store them in the fridge if you’d like. Some people like them chilled. They should stay good for about 5 days.
You can freeze Lemon Brownies. Allow to fully cool and then wrap in freezer wrap or put in a freeze safe container. You can freeze before or after cutting the brownies. They should stay good in your freezer for about 3-4 months. Thaw out at room temperature.
Other Notes, Tips and FAQs
- WHY IS THERE NO BAKING POWDER OR BAKING SODA IN THIS RECIPE? – Those are leavening agents that will make your recipe more fluffy and more like a cake. That is not the texture we are going for on this recipe.
- CAN YOU MAKE LEMON BROWNIES GLUTEN-FREE? – Yes, you can easily substitute for Gluten Free Flour at at 1:1 ratio.
- USE MEYER LEMONS – For a little stronger lemon flavor, you can whisk in lemon juice from meyer lemons. Use the zest too!
- CAN YOU DOUBLE THIS RECIPE? – Yep! Simply double all of the ingredients and pour them into a 9X13 baking dish. You will probably need to increase the baking time a bit.
- USE PARCHMENT PAPER – If you are worried about the brownies sticking to the pan, you can line the baking dish with parchment paper and then lift out the brownies once they have cooled. This would probably make them easier to cut too.
- LEMON ICING – We drizzled our icing over the brownies because we liked the look of it. But you can also spread the icing out evenly over the brownies and allow to harden.
- CAN YOU USE LIMES OR ORANGES FOR THIS RECIPE? – Yep! You sure can! Use the juice and zest of any citrus you’d like for a different dessert!
LOOKING FOR MORE LEMON DESSERTS? CHECK OUT:
- LEMON BLUEBERRY BUNDT CAKE
- LEMON BLUEBERRY CUPCAKES
- LEMON PARFAIT
- MEYER LEMON COOKIES
- MINI STRAWBERRY LEMON TARTS
- COPYCAT STARBUCKS LEMON LOAF
- CRANBERRY LEMON BARS
- 1/2 cup 1 stick, butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice juice of half of a fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest zest of one lemon
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Scrape down bowl halfway through beating. Add eggs, lemon juice and zest. Beat well.
- Add flour and salt and beat just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand to cool.
- Mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle onto brownies and cut into squares before serving.
Leave A Reply!