This Easy Coconut Pudding Recipe is a dreamy, perfectly sweet dessert for any occasion. It’s a classic recipe that takes just a couple minutes to prepare! Or, you can make it ahead of time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- EASY – With only 6 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep, this is such a simple, easy recipe to make! It’s a great recipe for beginners!
- MAKE AHEAD – Coconut Pudding DOES need to set in the fridge for at least an hour. But this gives you the excuse to just make it ahead of time so it’s ready before your guests arrive!
- A GREAT RECIPE FOR A CROWD – As written, this recipe makes 4 servings. But it’s really easy to double or even triple it! In fact, our recipe card has a feature that will double or triple all the ingredients for you!
Why make desserts with coconut? Coconut gives your recipes a light, sweet taste that isn’t overbearing. What can I say, the taste just makes me happy! And the same can be said for this Coconut Pudding. Ready to get started? For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need:
- BUTTER – Unsalted butter.
- COCONUT MILK – You’ll need the full fat coconut milk. We do not recommend substituting for low fat or lite coconut milk in this recipe.
- CORNSTARCH – Used as a thickening agent.
- WHITE SUGAR – Used to sweeten up our pudding!
- EGG YOLKS – Here is a really quick, easy tutorial on how to separate egg yolks.
- COCONUT EXTRACT – This helps give us that delicious, sweet coconut flavor. If you absolutely can’t find coconut extract, you can vanilla extract. It just won’t have as strong of a coconut flavor.
Storage and Freezing
Store leftover Coconut Pudding in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Leftovers should be good for about 5 days.
Yes, you CAN freeze Coconut Pudding. Make sure it is chilled first, or at least room temperature. Don’t freeze it right off of the stove. Put it in a freezer safe container and it will be good in your freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Some people actually like to eat them frozen for a frozen “pudding pop”!
Toppings For Coconut Pudding
Some delicious toppings would be Shredded Coconut, Toasted Coconut Flakes, Whipped Cream, Cherries, Banana Slices, Blueberries, Strawberries (any fresh berries), ground cinnamon, Almond Slices or Pecans.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- COCONUT EXTRACT – We used 1 tsp of coconut extract and it was perfect for us. But if you are worried about it being too overpowering, you can start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more to taste while it’s cooking.
- TO GET SMOOTH, CREAMY PUDDING – The key for best results is to constantly stir your pudding mixture while it’s cooking. Using a whisk is best. That is how you’ll get that delicious texture!
- CORNSTARCH – Make sure to really combine coconut milk and cornstarch well. This will make sure you get out all the lumps.
- AN “ADULT” COCONUT PUDDING – Add a splash of coconut rum before serving to give this pudding a some extra flair!
- NO SALT? – We didn’t add salt in our recipe. Although some recipes do call for it. If you want to add a little salt to taste, you can.
We hope you enjoy this homemade Coconut Pudding recipe. We’d love to hear how it turned out in the comment section if you want to drop us a line. Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE CHILLED DESSERTS? CHECK OUT:
- NO BAKE BANANA PUDDING
- NO BAKE BANANA CREAM PIE
- BANANA PUDDING POKE CAKE
- CARAMEL APPLE SALAD
- CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
Easy Coconut Pudding Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk together half the coconut milk and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add the mixture to the pan.
- Combine the remaining coconut milk, sugar, egg yolks, and coconut extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add egg mixture to pan. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, around 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to serving cups or a small bowl and chill for at least one hour before serving.
- Top with whipped cream, toasted coconut, and cherries when serving, if desired.
Leave A Reply!