These Fourth of July Sugar Cookies are fun, festive and delicious. Bursting with patriotic spirit, these homemade sugar cookies are star shaped and colored with Red, White and Blue! Perfect for Memorial Day or 4th of July!
Finding Cookies For Every Holiday
It’s always important to have a good cookie recipe for just about any holiday. For instance, these Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies are perfect for Valentine’s Day and these Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies are a super cute Christmas dessert idea. But one of the most celebrated holidays in America is Independence Day. And we wanted to make sure to share a great cookie recipe that you can bring to any picnic, pool party or potluck you may be headed to. And these Fourth of July Sugar Cookies are just the thing!
Fourth Of July Sugar Cookies
We love this cookie recipe because the just look so easy and delicious! They are a perfect way to celebrate the Fourth of July or even Memorial Day. The mixture of red, white and blue sugar cookies baked in the shape of a star is just too much fun!
Red, White and Blue Sugar Cookies Ingredients
Here is what you will need to get started:
- Granulated sugar
- Butter, softened
- Vanilla extract
- a/p flour
- Baking powder
- Red gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
- Star-shaped cookie cutter
Can You Freeze These Sugar Cookies?
Yes, you absolutely can. You could opt to freeze them in 3 different stages:
- Freeze the Dough- You can keep the rolled dough in the shape of a dish and freeze it that way or you can roll it up into a log. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and put in a freezer-safe container.
- Freeze the Cookies Before Baking- You could also choose to cut out your cookies into the star shapes and freeze them that way as well. As above, wrap them very tightly in plastic wrap and put in an air-tight container.
- Freeze the Cookies After Baking- Or, you could bake the cookies, let them cool down completely and then freeze them that way. I would not choose this way unless I absolutely had to. I believe it’s always best to freeze the dough before baking.
Other Tips and Variations
If you want to add some more patriotic flair to these cookies, you could certainly add some red, white or blue sprinkles or glitter to them. Or, once cooled, you could trace the outline of the cookies with some white frosting! Or, you could make them into sandwiches like we did for these Rainbow Sugar Cookies Sandwiches. Yum!
What To Serve With Your Patriotic Sugar Cookies
The fourth of July is a great excuse to get together with friends and family to celebrate Independence Day. Food, fun and sunshine will be abundant! In addition to these Fourth of July Sugar Cookies, here are some other fun things to serve at your party, picnic or pitch in!
- CORN AND TOMATO SALAD
- MACARONI SALAD WITH HAM AND CHEESE
- ROTINI PASTA SALAD
- PINEAPPLE PRETZEL SALAD
- STRAWBERRY PRETZEL SALAD
- PINEAPPLE SUNSHINE CAKE
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Fourth of July Sugar Cookies! Please let me know what you think of them in the comments!
Fourth of July Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups a/p flour + extra for rolling
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red gel food coloring
- ¼ tsp blue gel food coloring
- Star-shaped cookie cutter
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla, mix thoroughly.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until cookie dough forms.
- Divide cookie dough into 3 parts.
- Color one part blue and another part red. Knead each one to ensure they’re completely tinted.
- Cover each cookie dough color in its own plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Remove cookie dough from fridge and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Break off all cookie dough colors into small spheres, about 2 inches in size.
- Press the different color cookie dough spheres together, alternating colors.
- Sprinkle a rolling pin with flour. As well, add some flour on a clean working surface.
- Roll out cookie dough until it’s about ½ an inch thick.
- Cut out 12-14 star-shaped cookies and place about an inch apart on lined cookie sheet.
- To re-roll dough, be sure to piece the cut-up dough together (rather than re-shaping it into a ball and rolling) because this will keep all the colors in-tact.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack - serve and enjoy!
If you want to add some more patriotic flair to these cookies, you could certainly add some red, white or blue sprinkles or glitter to them. Or, once cooled, you could trace the outline of the cookies with some white frosting!