This Pineapple Sunshine Cake is the perfect thing for an Easter Dessert or a tasty treat for a summer picnic. This bright cake is topped with a super light cool whip frosting!
If you’re looking for a fun, light and refreshing cake that will spread happiness to all who consume it, look no further! Okay, that might sound a little bit dramatic…. But seriously, Pineapple Sunshine Cake is just one of these great dishes that can make you feel a little bit better just by LOOKING at it!
I’ve Been Loving Cake Mix Recipes!
If comfort food is supposed to make you happy and content, this Pineapple Sunshine cake is the DEFINITION of comfort food! And, like many of the great comfort food recipes on our website, it really only takes a handful of ingredients. And I’d bet you already have a lot of these ingredients in your kitchen! Lately, I’ve really been into making dessert recipes that start out with a simple box of cake mix. For instance, I’ve made these Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies that are perfect for Valentine’s Day. This Crack Cake recipe is dangerously addictive! And these Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies are tons of fun for a girls Birthday party or any other bright occasion!
I used to think that cake mixes were for…. well… making a cake. But you can also use them as a base for so many other fun desserts. This Pineapple Sunshine Cake Recipe starts off with just a box of simple cake mix! And it doesn’t get much more complicated from there!
What Is A Pineapple Sunshine Cake
This recipe is sometimes called a Crushed Pineapple Cake or a Pineapple Pudding Cake. It usually consists of a cake mix (usually yellow) that is infused with crushed pineapple. Then it’s topped with a light whipped pudding topping, again, infused with pineapple. There are some variations, and I’ve seen this cake topped with a cream cheese/pineapple topping. But we like the nice, light whipped topping.
While this is an easy recipe to make, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is a QUICK recipe. There is a lot of “cooling” involved. So, it you are planning to make this for a party, you want to make sure that you have plenty of time to make it early.
I use half of the can of my crushed pineapple to put into my whipped topping. For this recipe, I describe mixing the pineapple in with the topping. This worked for us but you could also keep it to the side and then sprinkle it on top for a slightly different look and feel. Either will work!
How To Store Your Pineapple Sunshine Cake?
This is a chilled dessert that should be kept cold. So make sure you use an airtight container and store it in your refrigerator. We love to use this baking pan because it comes with it’s own lid. So you can just store it right in the pan you baked it in! No worries about Saran Wrap or aluminum foil!
Yes, you can freeze this cake, but I’d do it before putting the whipped topping on. Once you frost this cake, I’m not sure how well freezing would work. Just allow the cake to fully cool, wrap tightly with freezer wrapk or put in a freezer bag and it should be good in y0ur fridge for 3-4 months.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- SERVE CHILLED?– This cake tastes great room temperature or even warmed up a bit. But it really does taste best chilled. So I store mine in the fridge.
- TOPPINGS?– Add some coconut flakes to the top for some extra flavor. Or some nuts, sliced walnuts would be delicious! You could also top with maraschino cherries or mandarin oranges for some more color and fun flavors!
I hope this recipe for Pineapple Sunshine Cake makes your day a little brighter. I’d LOVE to know what you think of the recipe. Please give me your feedback in the comments. Thanks and enjoy!
DO YOU LIKE PINEAPPLE? THEN ALSO CHECK OUT:
- PINEAPPLE PRETZEL SALAD
- PIG PICKIN’ CAKE AKA ORANGE PINEAPPLE CAKE
- LIME JELLO SALAD WITH CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
- PINEAPPLE SOUFFLE
- PINEAPPLE DREAM DESSERT
Pineapple Sunshine Cake
- 1 box 15.25 oz, yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 can 20 oz, crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 1 small tub 8 oz, whipped topping, thawed
- 1 small package 3.4 oz, instant vanilla pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, eggs, oil and half the can of crushed pineapple. Mix well by hand until all items are combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add remaining pineapple, whipped topping and vanilla pudding. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread onto the top of the cake and serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate any leftover cake in an airtight container.