These Eggs with Spinach is a quick, easy recipe that is perfect for Breakfast or Brunch. Low Carb, healthy and full of cheesy and delicious flavor is a great way to start your day!
Why You Will Love Eggs with Spinach
- HEALTHY – With just a few, simple ingredients, this dish is low carb, light and healthy. Do you have kids that love eggs? Egg Scrambles are a great way to sneak some veggies into their breakfast!
- DELICIOUS – Let’s face it, eggs are just really hard to photograph. So I’m always afraid the pictures in this post don’t do this dish justice. But the creamy spinach, cheesy eggs, soft onions and perfect seasonings combine for a totally yummy breakfast experience. It’s one of those dishes that you just gotta try!
- EASY TO IMPROVISE – This is also one of those dishes that is easy to play around with. You can make it spicier, cheesier or add protein to it. Check out below for some inspiration.
Spinach With Eggs Recipe
For the full, step-by-step instructions, check out the recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- FRESH BABY SPINACH LEAVES – You can chop them or not chop them. We advise against not chopping them too finely, as they will shrink when cooked.
- BUTTER – To saute the onions and garlic. You can use salted or unsalted butter. Or, you could also substitute for olive oil or avocado oil.
- ONION – Finely chopped. We like using a yellow onion for it’s milder, sweeter flavor.
- GARLIC – Minced. Use fresh garlic or the stuff from the jar. Doesn’t really matter.
- MILK – Adds creaminess to this dish. We used 2% but you can use low fat to trim some calories or half and half (or even heavy cream) to make this dish a little richer.
- EGGS – Large, high quality organic eggs are suggested.
- CHEESE – We used a combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. But you can substitute any cheese you’d like. Cheddar cheese, Feta cheese or even pepper jack to add a little kick.
- SEASONINGS – Fresh Thyme, Fresh Basil and Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
What Spinach To Use For This Dish?
We think that baby spinach works the best because it’s the right size and we don’t even need to chop it if we don’t want to. You can also use regular spinach, although you will need to chop that. Don’t worry about the stems, they will taste fine once cooked.
We also like to use pre-washed spinach. Having you spinach dry when cooking is important, and that is tough if you’ve just wasted them yourself.
You can try to use frozen spinach or canned spinach. But, again, you want your spinach as dry as possible, so patting it with a paper towel and letting it dry is very important.
Storage, Freezing and Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Leftovers taste great and they should be good in your fridge for about 4–5 days.
I would not freeze this recipe. The spinach won’t thaw well.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- MAKE IT SPICY – Add some kick by putting in some red pepper flakes, sriracha sauce, tabasco sauce, green chilis or salsa.
- ADD VEGGIES – Add mushrooms, bell peppers, leeks or any other vegetable that sounds good! Dice up some avocado and add to this dish before serving.
- ADD PROTEIN – Egg scrambles are also great with added protein. Cook up some breakfast sausage or some bacon, drain the grease and add them to this dish. Or, even simpler, sprinkle in some bacon bits.
- DO YOU HAVE TO SCRAMBLE THE EGGS? – Nope. Some people like to make little “craters” in the cooked spinach/onions in the frying pan. Then you can put an egg in there and just let it cook as desired (sunny side up, over easy, ect….).
We hope you enjoy this Eggs with Spinach Recipe. Let us know how it works out in the comment section! Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES THAT USE EGGS? CHECK OUT:
- INSTANT POT HARD BOILED EGGS
- OVEN BAKED FRENCH TOAST
- TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- BLOODY MARY DEVILED EGGS
- CAJUN DEVILED EGGS
- CROCKPOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Eggs with Spinach
- 1 6 ounce package baby spinach leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add the spinach, thyme, and basil. Cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a small bowl until foamy, then pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- Scramble the eggs until cooked through, then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cheese before serving.