MAKE SURE TO ALSO CHECK OUT OUR 51 CHRISTMAS APPETIZER FINGER FOODS!
Finding Easy Holiday Recipes
Santa Hat Cupcakes
These Santa Hat Cupcakes are so easy to make and they look incredibly cute.
Like a lot of recipes on this page, we like to keep things as simple possible. This means that we can use a Red Velvet Cake Mix to start out with. The true genius of these holiday cupcakes is in the decoration. With just a couple tubes of white and red icing, you will see your Santa Hat cupcakes start to take shape. They are a very kid-friendly recipe that you can make with them on those lazy holidays without school or (God forbid!) a snow day!
It is super simple after you follow the directions on the box of the Red Velvet Cake Mix you can start to make Santa’s Hat.
How To Decorate Your Santa Hat Cupcakes
The first key is to make sure your icing is red enough. You’ll want to make sure to add enough red food coloring to really get that deep, rich red that we associate with our favorite jolly old elf. I actually add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to my red icing to darken it up a bit.
It also helps to use a piping kit and icing bag to apply the frosting. And, as always, make sure to let the cupcakes completely cool before adding the icing.
Next, add a ring of white icing around the edge of the cupcake.
Fill in the center of each cupcake, working your way up, with red icing. You should see your Santa hat take form now.
Notes and Variations
- Make these cupcakes ahead of time. Allow them to cool completely and wrap in aluminum foil and put in a freezer bag. Do this BEFORE you decorate them. Then you can just thaw them out and decorate as needed!
- Don’t have red food coloring or want to make these with a little less sugar? You can use a Strawberry instead of the red icing and the marshmallow. Just make the white ring of icing a little thicker and put the Strawberry on top of it. Top with a small dot of white icing for the “ball” on Santa’s hat.
- Add some extra holiday cheese with some fun Santa Cupcake Liners!
Easy Santa Hat Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cake Mix and ingredients box calls for
- 2 tubs of White Icing
- Red Food Coloring
- 1/4 a cup of Cocoa Powder
- Mini Marshmallows
- Cupcake Liners color of your choice
- Icing Pipping Kit found in the baking section optional
- Start by preparing your red velvet cake batter according to box instructions.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 of the way full and bake according to box instructions.
- While baking prepare your red icing.
- Place 1 tub of white icing in a large mixing bowl. Add about 10 drops of red food coloring (it takes quite a bit.) Mix until well blended with a hand mixer.
- At this time your icing is probably closer to pink. Add in 1/4 a cup of cocoa powder to darken it up, and mix well.
- Add in ten more drops of food coloring and mix until well blended. Repeat this process until you have achieved the color red you desire.
- I chose to use a pipping kit for my icing. At this time I filled one icing bag with white icing, and one with red icing.
- Let cupcakes cool completely after baking.
- Start by icing just the outer edge of each cupcake with white icing.
- Fill in the center of each cupcake, working your way up, with red icing.
- You should see your Santa hat take form now. Top each hat off with a mini marshmallow.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave A Reply!