Why You’ll Love Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- WHOLESOME – Store bought buffalo sauce may taste delicious, but it can also be loaded with sugar, preservatives or other ingredients you don’t want or need. This homemade buffalo sauce has only the ingredients that necessary.
- EASY – With just a few common pantry staples and a couple of minutes of prep, this homemade buffalo sauce is ready to be used on anything!.
What Is Buffalo Sauce?
What is buffalo sauce and how is hot sauce different from buffalo sauce? It’s pretty simple. Buffalo Sauce is simply a hot sauce that has had some additional ingredients add in. This usually consists of butter, vinegar and some extra spices or flavors.
What Do You Use Buffalo Sauce For?
Add the butter to the hot sauce makes it a little thicker and creamier. So it’s great to slather, toss or brush on just about anything, from chicken wings to pizza to cauliflower! See some of our favorite buffalo recipes at the bottom of this post!
Easy Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Ingredients:
- HOT SAUCE – Start with really any brand of kind of hot sauce you want. We usually just use Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
- BUTTER – We use unsalted butter because we will be adding salt later.
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE – This is our secret ingredients. It adds a great depth of flavor to the buffalo sauce.
- VINEGAR –
- CAYENNE PEPPER – Adds an additional layer of spice. This is one major area where you can make your sauce hotter or milder.
- SPICES – We use a blend of salt, garlic powder and paprika.
How to Store or Freeze Buffalo Sauce
You can store this Buffalo Sauce in your refrigerator inside an air-tight container. It should be good in your fridge for up to one month. If you need to keep your Homemade Buffalo Sauce for longer, you can always freeze it as well. How to freezer your Buffalo Sauce? Easy, simply let if fully cool. Then put it in an airtight container or bag. You can also freeze it in ice trays as well, so you can just take out the little portions you may need!
How To Make Buffalo Sauce Less Spicy
If you are worried that this buffalo sauce may be a little too spicy, you can reduce the amount of cayenne pepper or not add any at all. Or, obviously you can add more to give it even more of a kick!
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- HOW DO I MAKE MY BUFFALO SAUCE THICKER? – You can always add cornstarch slurry. This would be equal parts cornstarch and water. Add to desired consistency.
- CAN YOU MAKE SWEET BUFFALO SAUCE? – Yes! Simply try adding some honey or maple syrup to this recipe.
- IS BUFFALO SAUCE VEGAN? – Yes it is!
- IS BUFFALO SAUCE GLUTEN FREE? – It should be. Just make sure to check all the ingredients.
This recipe makes about 3 cups. Enjoy!
Items To Help With This Recipe
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
- 1 jar 12 oz, hot sauce
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and heat on medium heat stirring constantly.
- When mixture begins to boil, continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cool. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.