This Butterfinger Cake is a rich, moist dessert only taking a couple of ingredients and a few minutes to prepare. A chocolate boxed cake mix is baked and poked with holes filled with a sweet caramel sauce and crushed Butterfingers and topped with whipped cream and MORE Butterfingers!
Why You Will Love This Butterfinger Cake
- EASY – Using a boxed cake mix, this poke cake is so quick and easy to make!
- FUN NEW RECIPE – Bring this to your next potluck or pitch in! This is a eye catching recipe that will be the hit of your next party!
- GREAT USE FOR LEFTOVER HALLOWEEN CANDY – If you’ve got some leftover Butterfingers from Halloween (or really any candy bar) they are great to use in this recipe.
- DELICIOUS – The soft, rich chocolate cake is infused with sweet condensed milk. And then topped with a light whipped cream and the crunch of the Butterfinger Candy Bars. All those flavors and textures are amazing!
What Is A Poke Cake?
This is also sometimes called a Butterfinger Poke Cake. Poke Cakes are usually boxed cake mixes that are baked, allowed to cool and then poked with holes. Once the holes are poked, different ingredients and flavors can be poured on top of the cake and it will all seep and ooze for a delightful moist and delicious cake. We’ve made a STRAWBERRY JELLO POKE CAKE and a BANANA PUDDING POKE CAKE.
How To Make A Butterfinger Cake
It’s a really simple process! Just bake cake according the the package directions. Then top with your Caramel/Sweetened Condensed Milk and some of the Butterfingers. Chill the cake and then top with whipped cream and more Butterfingers. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- BOXED CAKE MIX – We used chocolate cake mix for this. But you can use whatever flavor you’d like. And don’t forget the ingredients you’ll need to make it, usually eggs, water and oil.
- BUTTERFINGER CANDY BARS – Those crunchy, peanut butter candy bars covered with Chocolate. One of my favs!
- SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK – You can usually find this in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
- CARAMEL SAUCE – Also sometimes called Caramel Topping or Caramel Syrup. Hershey’s brand is usually pretty easy to find.
- WHIPPED TOPPING – You can buy the frozen Cool Whip at the store and thaw it out. Or make your own.
Storage, Freezing and Leftovers
It’s best to store leftovers of this cake in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It should stay good for about 4-5 days. But the sauce may start to get the cake a little soggy after a day or two.
This cake freezes well. You can freeze it before or after you top it with whipped cream. If you want, you can cut it into individual slices before freezing so that you only thaw what you need. Thaw overnight in your fridge.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- DO I NEED TO YOU CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX? – Nope! Feel free to use Devils Food Cake Mix, White Cake Mix, Vanilla Cake Mix, Yellow Cake Mix, Funfetti Cake Mix or anything else that sounds good!
- CAN YOU USE OTHER CANDY BARS? – Yes. But it obviously won’t be a Butterfinger cake without the Butterfingers! But using Heath Bars, Snickers or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups would all be good substitutions.
- DRIZZLE SOME CHOCOLATE SAUCE OR EXTRA CARAMEL SAUCE ON TOP – Add some extra fun and flavor by putting some chocolate syrup or caramel sauce on top of this cake.
- FREEZE YOUR BUTTERFINGERS – Freezing your Butterfingers makes them easier to crush.
We hope you enjoy this Butterfinger Cake Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section!
LOOKING FOR MORE DECADENT RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
- BELGIAN BEER CUPCAKES
- BUMPY CAKE
- CHOCOLATE CARAMEL COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE COCONUT BROWNIES
- CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CHEESECAKE
- DARK CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
- 1 18.25 ounce package chocolate cake mix prepared in a 9x13 pan
- 2 cups finely chopped Butterfinger candy bars
- 1 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12.25 ounce jar caramel sauce
- 1 8 ounce package frozen whipped topping thawed
- Bake the cake according to the package instructions and allow the cake to cool completely. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.
- Sprinkle half the chopped Butterfinger over the top of the cake and press the pieces into the holes.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce over the cake and into the holes. Cover the cake and refrigerate it overnight.
- When ready to serve, spread the whipped topping over the top of the cake, then sprinkle the remaining chopped Butterfinger candy over the top of the cake.