This Strawberry Jello Poke Cake Recipe is a light, fresh dessert that is perfect for any occasion. White Cake Mix is infused with Strawberry Jello and topped with Cool Whip! It’s fruity, moist and delicious!
Why You Will Love Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- EASY – The best thing about this recipe for Strawberry Jello Poke is that is it SO EASY to make because it uses a box cake mix. When you use a cake mix in your recipe, you are cutting out several ingredients and steps. So now you can spend less time in the kitchen baking and cleaning!
- VERSATILE – Poke cakes area so great because you can improvise them for whatever purpose or occasion you need! Change up the cake mix flavor or the Jello Flavor! Top with any fruit, candy or frosting that sounds good!
What Is A Poke Cake?
The reason that they call these Poke cakes is simple! Once the cake is completely baked and cooled, you “poke” holes into it! I use the handle of a wooden spoon, but you can use anything! Now, when you pour the jello over the cake, it will fall into the holes and seep into the cake. The result is a tasty, beautiful marbling of flavor throughout the cake! It’s also sometimes called a Jello Cake.
And you don’t even need to stick with Jello in a Poke Cake! Sometimes pudding is used, like in this delicious Banana Poke Cake. You could also switch out for vanilla pudding in this recipe.
How To Make Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
It’s so easy! You basically just bake the cake according to the box. Let the Jello soak in and then top it with ever you’d like! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you will need to get started!
- WHITE CAKE MIX– As I mentioned before, you don’t need to stick with White Cake Mix. Yellow Cake Mix would work well, or Vanilla Cake Mix or even Lemon! Mmm… Lemons and Strawberries! You will need to prepare according to box instructions. You will need VEGETABLE OIL, EGGS and WATER for this.
- STRAWBERRY JELLO – Once again, you don’t need to stick with Strawberry. There are lots of flavors of Jello, use whatever sounds good!
- WATER – You will need hot and cold water for this recipe. Mix the Jello in the hot water before adding the cold.
- WHIPPED TOPPING – Any brand will work. We love to use Cool Whip.
- FRESH STRAWBERRIES – Optional to use as a garnish to top of the whipped topping.
Do you need to store Poke Cake in the refrigerator? Yep! Due to the fact that this recipe has Jello in it, you’ll definitely want to keep the leftovers in the fridge because of the jello and the whipped cream. We love to bake it in this pan that comes with it’s own fitted lid, so you can just keep your leftovers in there.
Can You Freeze Poke Cake?
You can certainly bake the box cake mix and freeze it. Then, whenever you are ready to make this recipe, you can simply thaw it out, make the Jell0 and top it accordingly.
You can freeze it after it’s been fully assembled. But I’d freeze it while it is still as cold as possible from being in the refrigerator so that the Whipped Cream doesn’t get everywhere before it freezes. No need to reheat this cake, just let it thaw in the fridge before you want to eat it!
What Is The Best Way To Poke Holes In Your Cake?
First of all, you want to make sure that the cake is fully cooled off. Most people use the end of a wooden spoon. I’ve heard that some people use a larger size straw. I wouldn’t just use a fork because the holes will be too small for the Jello to fall into.
Poking the holes in the cake is very kid friendly and is a great opportunity for the kids to get involved!
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- USE PUDDING AND JELLO TOGETHER – For another fun idea to add a little jazz to this recipe, you can add some Jell-O instant pudding the the layers. Just put it in between the Strawberry Gelatin and the Whipped Topping. Simply make the Pudding according to the directions on the box, let it set and cool, then spread it on top of the Strawberry Jello before you add your whipped topping. I’d suggest using Vanilla Pudding flavor, but you can use any flavor that sounds awesome to you!
- CAN YOU FROST A POKE CAKE? – Yep, you can certainly substitute frosting for the whipped topping to made this dessert a little more decadent. Cream Cheese frosting would work great!
- CAN YOU MAKE POKE CAKE THE DAY BEFORE? – Yes! While this is a very SIMPLE and EASY recipe, it is not a QUICK one. There are several steps where ingredients need to cool and/or chill after it gets out of the oven. So it’s going to take some time. You can certainly start this recipe the day before. Either bake the cake the day prior, or even make the whole thing and let it chill and infuse in your refrigerator overnight.
- NO JELLO? – No problem! In a pinch, strawberry pie filling can be used.
- SPIKED JELLO CAKE – For an adult version of this recipe, you can spike your Jello. Stir in some Vodka, Rum or any other alcohol that sounds good to you.
- TOPPINGS – We love the classic look of topping with a fresh strawberry. But you can top it with anything you’d like: sprinkles, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, almonds, maraschino cherries or any other fresh fruit.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Strawberry Jello Poke Cake! Please let us know how it turns out in the comments section. Enjoy!
Strawberry Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix prepared and baked
- 1 small package strawberry Jell-o
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 8- ounce container whipped topping
- Strawberries for garnish optional
- Prepare the cake according to package instructions and allow to cool completely.
- Use a wooden skewer to poke several holes in the cake.
- Prepare the strawberry Jello by dissolving the contents of the package in boiling water, then stirring in cold water. Spoon the Jello mixture over the top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour, until the Jello is set.
- Top the cake with the whipped topping and garnish with sliced strawberries.