This Strawberry Jello Poke Cake Recipe is a light, fresh dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Also called a Jello Cake, white Cake Mix is infused with Strawberry Jello and topped with Cool Whip! It’s fruit, moist and delicious!
Cake Mix Recipes
The best thing about this recipe for Strawberry Jello Poke is that is it SO EASY to make because it uses a box cake mix. When you use a cake mix in your recipe, you are cutting out several ingredients and steps. So now you can spend less time in the kitchen baking and cleaning! And there are so many flavors and varieties to choose from to make lots of different delicious concoctions like this Apple Pie Cake, Banana Bread, Ooey Gooey Butter Cake or even this awesome Funfetti Dip!
Why Is A Poke Cake Called A Poke Cake?
The reason that they call these Poke cakes is simple! Once the cake is completely baked and cooled, you “poke” holes into it! I use the handle of a wooden spoon, but you can use anything! Now, when you pour the jello over the cake, it will fall into the holes and seep into the cake. The result is a tasty, beautiful marbling of flavor throughout the cake! It’s also sometimes called a Jello Cake.
And you don’t even need to stick with Jello in a Poke Cake! Sometimes pudding is used, like in this delicious Banana Poke Cake. You could also switch out for vanilla pudding in this recipe.
Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
Here is what you will need to get started!
- WHITE CAKE MIX– As I mentioned before, you don’t need to stick with White Cake Mix. Yellow Cake Mix would work well, or Vanilla Cake Mix or even Lemon! Mmm… Lemons and Strawberries!
- STRAWBERRY JELLO – Once again, you don’t need to stick with Strawberry. Grab anything that looks delicious.
- WATER – You will need hot and cold water for this recipe. Mix the Jello in the hot water before adding the cold.
- WHIPPED TOPPING – Any brand will work. We love to use Cool Whip.
- FRESH STRAWBERRIES – Optional to use as a garnish to top of the whipped topping.
Due to the fact that this recipe has Jello in it, you’ll definitely want to keep the leftovers in the fridge because of the jello and the whipped cream. We love to bake it in this pan that comes with it’s own fitted lid, so you can just keep your leftovers in there.
Can You Freeze Poke Cake?
You can certainly bake the box cake mix and freeze it. Then, whenever you are ready to make this recipe, you can simply thaw it out, make the Jell0 and top it accordingly.
You can freeze it after it’s been fully assembled. But I’d freeze it while it is still as cold as possible from being in the refrigerator so that the Whipped Cream doesn’t get everywhere before it freezes. No need to reheat this cake, just let it thaw in the fridge before you want to eat it!
What Is The Best Way To Poke Holes In Your Cake?
First of all, you want to make sure that the cake is fully cooled off. Most people use the round handle of a wooden spoon. I’ve heard that some people use a larger size straw. I wouldn’t just use a fork because the holes will be too small for the Jello to fall into.
Poking the holes in the cake is very kid friendly and is a great opportunity for the kids to get involved!
Notes, Tips and Variations
- USE PUDDING AND JELLO TOGETHER – For another fun idea to add a little jazz to this recipe, you can add some Jell-O instant pudding the the layers. Just put it in between the Strawberry Jello and the Whipped Topping. Simple make the Pudding according to the directions on the box, let it set and cool, then spread it on top of the Strawberry Jello before you add your whipped topping. I’d suggest using Vanilla Pudding flavor, but you can use any flavor that sounds awesome to you!
- PLAN AHEAD – While this is a very SIMPLE and EASY recipe, it is not a QUICK one. There are several steps where ingredients need to cool and/or chill. So it’s going to take some time. You can certainly start this recipe the day before. Either bake the cake the day prior, or even make the whole thing and let it chill and infuse in your refrigerator overnight.
- NO JELLO? – No problem! In a pinch, strawberry pie filling can be used.
- SPIKED JELLO CAKE – For an adult version of this recipe, you can spike your Jello with Vodka, Rum or any other alcohol that sounds good to you.
- TOPPINGS – We love the classic look of topping with a fresh strawberry. But you can top it with anything you’d like: sprinkles, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, almonds, maraschino cherries or any other fresh fruit.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Strawberry Jello Poke Cake! Please let us know how it turns out in the comments section. Enjoy!
Strawberry Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix prepared and baked
- 1 small package strawberry Jell-o
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 8- ounc container whipped topping
- Strawberries for garnish optional
- Prepare the cake according to package instructions and allow to cool completely.
- Use a wooden skewer to poke several holes in the cake.
- Prepare the strawberry Jello by dissolving the contents of the package in boiling water, then stirring in cold water. Spoon the Jello mixture over the top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour, until the Jello is set.
- Top the cake with the whipped topping and garnish with sliced strawberries.