Sweet meets savory with these decadent Chocolate Caramel Cookies. Soft, chewy and delicious, each bite is loaded with rich chocolate and caramel and then topped with a touch of sea salt!
Why You Will Love Chocolate Caramel Cookies
- EASY – With just a few common ingredients and a couple of minutes of preparation, these cookies will be baking in your oven! It’s a great beginner recipe or a fun cookie recipe to let the kids help with!
- GREAT FOR ANY OCCASION – These cookies would be the perfect recipe for the holidays, Valentine’s Day or just for a decadent treat! Make them for a bake sale, cookie exchange or pitch in!
- DELICIOUS – These cookies have a slightly crispy edge, but a soft, chewy and gooey middle that is perfection in every bite! Enough to satisfy any chocoholic, but not too rich! And who doesn’t love to combination of sweet and savory?!? With the gooey chocolate cookie and the soft caramels baked together, these chocolate cookies also have a sprinkle of rock salt on top to add a little boost of flavor!
How To Make Chocolate Caramel Cookies
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- FLOUR – Any all-purpose flour will do. If you want these cookies gluten-free, you could try using Gluten Free Flour.
- COCOA POWDER – For this recipe, we really suggest using a high quality Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. You can usually find Ghiradelli Cocoa Powder at your local grocery store in the baking aisle.
- BAKING SODA – A leavening agent that helps make these cookies soft and chewy.
- SALT – It’s always important to bake with salt to balance out the sweetness of any cookie.
- EGG – If possible, let your egg come to room temperature before adding to this recipe.
- SUGAR – Any white, granulated sugar will do.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS – Melted. You can use semi-sweet, milk or even dark chocolate chips. However rich you want these cookies to be!
- BUTTER – Unsalted and melted.
- CARAMEL CHIPS – You can usually find caramel chips in the baking aisle next to the chocolate chips.
- SEA SALT or ROCK SALT – You’ll be sprinkling this on top of the cookies for an extra savory crunch. Do NOT use just plain table salt for this.
Storage and Freezing
Keep you cookies in an airtight container or tupperware at room temperature. They should stay good for about 4-5 days.
You can freeze Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies. After baking, let them cool to room temperature on a wire cooling rack. Once cooled, separate each cookie with wax paper or parchment paper and put in a freezer bag or freezer safe container. They will be good in your freezer for up to 4 months.
To freeze the cookie dough before baking, I would line the cookie dough balls up on the baking sheet and flash freeze them. Once the dough is frozen, you can put into a freezer safe container and freeze. You can bake the dough without thawing it, you may just need to add a minute or two to the baking time. Just watch them carefully.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- DRIZZLE – Make these cookies even more rich and decadent by drizzling some chocolate or caramel sauce on top.
- ADD NUTS – Crush some pecans or walnuts and then roll the cookie dough balls in them before baking. You can use this instead of the Sea Salt to add saltiness to the cookie.
- USE ROLO CANDY – If you can’t find caramel chocolate chips at the store, you can substitute for Rolo Candy pieces. Just use a sharp knife and cut them up into small pieces and add them to the cookie dough. Or, you could also dice up some caramel candy as well.
- MAKE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES – These cookies would be perfect to use for homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches. Use some vanilla, chocolate or dulce de leche ice cream for the delicious treat!
- DON’T OVERMIX – When combining the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir until just combined. That is the secret to soft, moist cookies!
- USE A COOKIE SCOOP – Make sure your cookies are all the same size for even baking. It helps to use a cookie scoop.
We hope you enjoy this Chocolate Caramel Cookie Recipe. We’d love to hear how they turn out in the comment section so drop us a line!
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT COOKIE RECIPES? CHECK OUT OUR:
- APPLE OATMEAL COOKIES
- EASY CARROT COOKIES
- RAINBOW SUGAR COOKIES SANDWICH
- PEANUT BUTTER NO BAKE COOKIES
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup high quality cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup chocolate chips melted
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 cup caramel chips
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, sift together dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together egg and granulated sugar until creamy. Add melted chocolate and melted butter into wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into bowl of wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Once cookie batter has formed, fold in caramel chips.
- Drop mounds of cookie batter onto lined cookie sheets, each mound should be about 1 ½ inches in size. Sprinkle a bit of rock salt on each cookie mound.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!