This Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Recipe is an easy version of the Classic Creole Cuisine! With just a few minutes to prepare, this set-it-and-forget-it recipe is simple, delicious and perfect for any occasion!
Why You Will Love Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- SIMPLE AND EASY – Just dump all the ingredients into your slow cooker and let it do all the work for you! And, there is no need to soak the beans first!
- INEXPENSIVE – Using lots of pantry staples, you won’t need to go out and buy a lot of ingredients for this dish. And the ingredients you may need to get are all very inexpensive.
- HEARTY COMFORT FOOD – This Red Beans and Rice Recipe serves 6. So there will plenty to fill a family’s tummies! And probably more leftover for lunch tomorrow! This dish reheats great!
How To Make CrockPot Red Beans and Rice
With just 5 minutes of prep time, this recipe is SO simple! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- DRY RED BEANS – Simply rinse the beans before adding. No need to soak them. You can substitute for Kidney Beans, but you WILL need to boil them for at least 20 minutes before adding them for safety reasons.
- ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE – Thinly sliced. Substitute Smoked Sausage if you want less spice.
- CHICKEN BROTH – Add depth of flavor. You can use vegetable broth if that is all you have.
- ONION – Finely chopped. We used yellow onions for it’s sweeter, milder flavor. But you can use red onions if you’d like.
- GARLIC – Minced. You can mince your own fresh garlic or use the canned garlic.
- TOMATO PASTE – This is different from tomato sauce. Make sure you are using paste.
- CAYENNE PEPPER – Adds kick to this dish. Use as much or as little as you’d like.
- SPICES – We use a combination of Thyme, Oregano, Salt and Pepper.
- WHITE RICE – Prepared. We love to use our Instant Pot to make rice! You can substitute for Brown Rice or Quinoa.
Do You Need To Soak Your Beans Before Cooking them In A Crock Pot?
Nope! That is one of the best parts of this recipe! You just need to make sure that you rinse them first. One caveat is if you decide to use Red Kidney Beans. Those must be rinsed and boiled for at least 20 minutes before being cooked in a Slow Cooker.
Can You Use Canned Beans For This Recipe?
Yes. You can substitute 3 cans of bean for the dry beans. Just make sure you drain and rinse them well. Some people like to rinse only 2 cans of the beans and leave the 3rd can unrinsed for a little more flavor. If you use canned beans, you need to shorten the cooking time to 4-6 hours on low.
Storage, Freezing and Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should be good in your fridge for about 5 days. Red Beans and Rice reheats well in the microwave.
You can freeze Red Beans and Rice. Just store in a freezer safe container. It should be good in your freezer for up to 5 months. Thaw overnight in your refrigerator.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- ADDITIONS – Add more vegetables such as Celery or Bell Peppers. Want to make this even more heart? Add some ham to it! It’s a great use for leftover ham or an old ham hock.
- WHAT TO SERVE WITH RED BEANS AND RICE? – This hearty dish is a meal all on it’s own. But you could serve it with some buttery garlic bread or Cornbread!
- ADD SPICE – If you have different spice level preferences in your family, this is a great recipe to add spice to AFTER cooking. You can use any hot sauce.I love to put a little Sriracha Sauce into mine to make it extra spicy. Where as the rest of my family has milder tastes. Everyone is happy!
We hope you enjoy this CrockPot Red Beans and Rice Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section! Happy Eating!
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- 1 pound dry red beans rinsed
- 1 package andouille sausage thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups white rice prepared
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker except for the rice.
- Stir all ingredients well.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Serve over rice.