This Chicken Hashbrown Casserole is our new family favorite dinner. Cheesy Chicken is layered on hashbrowns and topped with Rice Krispies. Baked to bubbly perfection, it’s perfect to feed a crowd or have leftovers for tomorrow.
Why You Will Love This Chicken Hashbrown Casserole
- TOTAL COMFORT FOOD – What does comfort food mean to us? It means simple, authentic and delicious. There are no fancy ingredients here. We bet you already have most of these ingredients in your kitchen.
- KID FRIENDLY – Even picky eaters will love this one! It’s so yummy but without any strong flavors. And that cereal topping will be sure to get the kiddos excited! Great for weeknight dinners!
- FEEDS A CROWD – We also love this recipe because there will plenty for your whole family and the leftovers taste even better the next day for lunch!
Crispy Chicken Hashbrown Casserole
This casserole has such a great texture, with the tender chicken, creamy, cheesy sauce, the hashbrowns and the crispy topping. There is just so much going on for such a simple recipe.
What Ingredients Will You Need for Chicken Hashbrown Casserole:
- Frozen hash browns (keep frozen)
- Chicken, cooked and cubed
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cheddar cheese soup (this is a cooking soup)
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream or greek yogurt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Butter, divided
- Rice krispie cereal
Can You Make This Casserole Ahead Of Time Or Freeze It?
Yep, you can make this the night before and it will be fine sitting in your fridge until you bake it the next day. This is also a great casserole to freeze. Simply let it cool, then cover it with tightly with aluminum foil. It should be good in your freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in your refrigerator before baking.
The Best Chicken For This Hash Brown Casserole.
You can cook your chicken any way you’d like for this dish. A lot of people like to cook theirs in a slow cooker and shred it. You can also roast a bone-in chicken and then remove it from the bone after cooking. Or you could bake it or even pan fry it. This is a great recipe for any leftover chicken you may have! In fact you can also use leftover turkey for this dish too!
But we also love to get a Rotisserie Chicken from the store and use that. It makes it so easy! If you see them on sale, get several, remove the chicken from the bone and freeze it. It is perfect for casseroles!
Can You Make This In A Crock Pot?
Yes. You probably can. I haven’t tried it. You could mix all the ingredients as directed and add them to your Slow Cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. The only problem with this is that the topping would not get crispy in your Crock Pot. And that is one of the best parts of this recipe! I’d stick to the oven!
Notes, Tips and Variations:
- Crispy Topping- We love the Rice Krispies Cereal on top of this, but feel free to try some other toppings. Sprinkle Panko Bread Crumbs, Regular Bread Crumbs, Potato Chips, Cornflakes or Crushed Ritz Crackers would all be yummy!
- Add Veggies- Try adding some frozen vegetables into the chicken mixture. Frozen peas, carrots, green beans, mushrooms or broccoli would be fun!
- Add Some Spice- Add some Buffalo Sauce to this recipe to give it some kick.
- Add Bacon – Add some crispy bacon crumbles into this dish for even more flavor!
- Bake Uncovered- We bake this dish uncovered to get that top nice and crispy and bubbly. If your to looks like it’s burning a bit, you can cover with aluminum foil at the end of cooking if needed.
- Cut The Calories- Make this a little lighter with some substitutions. Use Greek Non-Fat Yogurt instead of Sour Cream. Use only White Meat Chicken Breasts. Opt for Low-Fat Shredded Cheese. Sub the Cream of Chicken Soup for Low Fat Cream Cheese and 2 tsp of Chicken Bouillon Paste.
Equipment To Help With This Recipe:
- 9X13 CASSEROLE DISH WITH LID– We love this baking dish because it comes with a lid. So you can just leave leftovers (if there are any) right in the pan!
- STAINLESS STEEL, STACKABLE MIXING BOWLS– Color coded, stainless steel mixing bowls for all you baking and cooking needs. Come on, you know you need a new set!
- MEASURING CUPS– This simple, affordable set of plastic measuring cups is just what you need.
We hope you enjoy this Crispy Chicken Hashbrown Casserole Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turned out in the commnets section!
BE SURE TO ALSO CHECK OUT OUR 51 DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES FOR MORE RECIPES FOR EASY CASSEROLES.
Chicken Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 package 32 oz, frozen hash browns (keep frozen)
- 2 cups chicken cooked and cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can 10.5 oz, cheddar cheese soup (this is a cooking soup)
- 1 can 10.5 oz, cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 stick 1/2 cup, butter, divided
- 2 cups rice krispie cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add hash browns, chicken, cheese, soups, sour cream, milk.
- Add seasonings and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- In a smaller bowl, melt remaining 1/2 cup butter. Add cereal and mix well.
- Top with cereal and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until edges are bubbly and center is hot. Serve immediately.
Add Veggies- Try adding some frozen vegetables. Frozen peas, carrots or broccoli would be fun! Add Some Spice- Add some Buffalo Sauce to this recipe to give it some kick. Bake Uncovered- We bake this dish uncovered to get that top nice and crispy and bubbly. If your to looks like it's burning a bit, you can cover with aluminum foil at the end of cooking if needed. Cut The Calories- Make this a little lighter with some substitutions. Use Greek Non-Fat Yogurt instead of Sour Cream. Use only White Meat Chicken Breasts. Opt for Low-Fat Shredded Cheese. Sub the Cream of Chicken Soup for Low Fat Cream Cheese and 2 tsp of Chicken Bouillon Paste.
Comments & Reviews
Cheddar cheese soup? Canned?
Thanks from Cleveland, Ohio
Yes, it is called cheddar cheese soup, it is in a 10.5 ounce can and it is made to cook with.
Cheryl Howell says
Lopls awesome. I will try it.
Please let us know how you liked it!
Cheryl Howell says
Looks delicious I will make it.
Be sure to report back on how you liked it!
David Labadie says
Oh wow! I made this for the first time last night and it is Awesome! I used Italian bread crumbs mixed with crushed Ritz crackers for the top crust. It turned out incredible. I’ll definitely make this again! Thanks bubba pie!
I’m so happy you enjoyed it. I appreciate you coming back and letting us know!
Stacie Branham says
Delicious! I used crispy fried onions on top and it was devoured ! Thank you !
Yay! So glad it worked out!
This is such an amazing and versatile recipe. I added bacon bits, mushrooms, and used pinko bread crumbs. It was a hit !!