If you are a cookie lover like I am, get your ultimate fix with this Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. Slightly crispy outside, tender inside with a rich, buttery flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- EASY – Just mix all the ingredients together and let your oven do all the work. This is a great recipe for first time bakers or a kid friendly recipe.
- DELICIOUS – Tender, moist, crispy and buttery. All your favorite flavors and textures of a yummy chocolate chip cookie come together in this recipe.
- QUICK – Using Shortening to bake cookies makes it so easy! No need to chill the dough. So now you can have freshly baked homemade chocolate chip cookies in just minutes!
Why Use Crisco Instead Of Butter?
When we say we are using “shortening” in this recipe. We mean Crisco. Technically, butter is shortening too. Shortening is any fat that holds a solid shape at room temperature.
Crisco has a higher fat content that butter (100% vs 80%). So, when baking, it doesn’t melt off as much. This results in nice, thick, puffy and chewy cookies. Also, it is recommended to chill butter based cookie dough for at least 30 minutes before baking to avoid cookies being too thin. There is no need to do that with shortening.
Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
- CRISCO SHORTENING – You can use regular or butter flavored shortening. Butter flavored will result in a bit of richer flavor
- BROWN SUGAR – We love combining white and brown sugar in a chocolate chip cookie recipe.
- WHITE SUGAR – See above.
- MILK – We use 2% milk. But you can use skim or whole according to your preferences.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – We are all about shortcuts and cutting costs at Bubba Pie. But we DO believe in using quality vanilla extract for baking. Get the good stuff. A lot of people like to use Mexican Vanilla Extract for this recipe.
- EGG – One large egg. Let it get to room temperature.
- FLOUR – Any brand all all purpose flour will do. Use Gluten Free Flour if desired.
- SALT – Every good chocolate chip cookie needs some salt to balance out the sweetness
- BAKING SODA – This is an important leavening agent to make your cookies soft and puffy. Always make sure your baking soda has not expired or else it may not work.
- SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS – Use any kind of chocolate you’d like. Milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, chocolate chunks or a combination of any of them.
Storage and Freezing
You can store leftover chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. They should stay soft for about 4 days. I always like to put a slice of sandwich bread in them to help lend it’s moisture.
You can freeze Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies. Just let them fully cool to room temperature. Wrap tightly in freezer wrap or put in a freezer safe container. They will be good in your freezer for about 3 months. Simply allow to thaw at room temperature.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- DON’T OVER MIX – When you combine the wet and dry ingredients, don’t over mix. Combine the mixture until they are JUST incorporated. Then, when you stir in the chocolate chips, do so gently with a spatula.
- MIX INS AND ADDITIONS – Some things you can add to these cookies would be: Walnuts, coconut flakes, white chocolate chips, M&Ms, toffee bits, pecans or raisins.
- HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE COOKIES ARE DONE? – I look at the outside edges of the cookie. It should just be a golden brown. If the center looks slightly undercooked, that is ok. They can come out. We will let them sit on the hot cookie sheet to bake some more out of the oven.
- LET THE COOKIES SIT ON BAKING SHEET – After taking the cookies out of the oven, I like to let them sit on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes to continue cooking.
Tools To Help With This Recipe
We hope you enjoy this Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe. Please let us know how it turns out for you in the comments section! Happy Eating!
Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 3/4 cup Crisco shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the shortening, brown sugar, and sugar until well combined.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and egg and beat to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Beat until a soft dough forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons on the lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.