This Chipped Beef Dip is an old fashioned recipe that makes a perfect appetizer for any occasion! Made with Buddig Dried Beef, sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar jack and a blend of spices, it’s perfect for the Holidays or Game Day! And it’s gluten-free, low carb and keto-friendly!
Why You Will Love Chipped Beef Dip
- EASY – With only a couple of ingredients, it takes just minutes to prepare this appetizer! Then just let it chill in your fridge until it’s ready to serve!
- PERFECT TO FEED A CROWD – Need to feed a lot of people? A dip recipe is always perfect! This Chipped Beef Dip travels well to a tailgate, pitch in or Holiday party and is perfect to just let people serve themselves!
What Is Chipped Beef?
This may be your first question. Not a lot of people use chipped beef that often. It’s a piece of meat that has been pressed, dried and salted. Then sliced thinly. Chipped Beef is also called Dry Beef. It’s not as hard or dry as beef jerky. You can either find it sold in jars or plastic packets in the canned food section of your grocery store. It was used a TON by the military back in the day due to how cheap it was to produce, how the salt preserved it and how many uses it had.
How To Make Chipped Beef Dip
This Chipped Beef Dip consists of a creamy, cheesy base that diced up pieces of dried beef in it. It’s SO easy to make and can be served either hot or cold! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
Chipped Beef Dip Ingredients
- DRIED BEEF – You can use Buddig or any brand.
- CREAM CHEESE – Make sure it is softened cream cheese. You can use low fat cream cheese to trim this recipe up a bit.
- SOUR CREAM – Again, you can use low fat sour cream here too.
- CHEESE – Shredded cheese. We like to use Cheddar Jack Cheese, but you an use whatever you’d like.
- GARLIC POWDER – Helps boost the flavors of the beef.
- BLACK PEPPER – To taste.
- GREEN ONIONS – Or scallions. As a garnish.
Is Chipped Beef Dip a Hot or a Cold Dip?
This dip can be served either hot or cold. To serve it hot, simply make as described, place the mixture into an oven proof pan or baking dish and then bake in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes or until bubbly. You can also make this ahead of time, keep in the fridge and put it in the oven when ready to serve.
Or, you can take it out of the refrigerator and serve it cold. Either way works great!
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
I would not leave this Chipped Beef Dip out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. To store leftovers, wrap it in plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container (these are our favorite) and it will be good in your refrigerator for up to a week.
This dip would not taste good after it’s been frozen.
What To Dip Into Your Chipped Beef Dip?
- Corn Chips (Fritos)
- Baguette Slices
- Vegetables -Carrots, Celery, Bell Peppers
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- ADDITIONS – Some people like to add some extra ingredients to their dip for some more color, flavor or texture. Often times, a dash (1/3 tablespoon or less) of worcestershire sauce is added. You can also mix in some green peppers, sliced green chilis (for some heat) or crushed pecans.
- CREAM CHEESE – There are different flavors of cream cheese you can use as well. Like, Vegetable Cream Cheese, would work great in this recipe.
Equipment To Help With This Recipe
- SET OF 3 COLLAPSIBLE CORIANDERS– We love these easy-to-use and easy-to-clean collapsible corianders!
- SET OF 3 SERVING BOWLS FOR EVERY OCCASION– This set of serving bowls is a great thing to have for any occasion. In three different sizes, 15. 28 and 40 ounces, they are great for lots of different dishes!
- ELECTRIC MIXER
Check Out These Other Dip Recipes
- MISSISSIPPI SIN DIP
- HAM SALAD DIP
- HAM AND PICKLE DIP
- CROCKPOT FIESTA CORN DIP
- CROCKPOT BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
- BEER CHEESE DIP
- TEXAS TRASH DIP
I hope you enjoy this Chipped Beef Dip Recipe. I’d love to hear how it turns out in the comments section! Thanks for reading and happy eating!
Chipped Beef Dip
- 1 2.25 ounce jar dried beef Buddig Beef
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped green onion for garnish
- Remove the dried beef from the jar and finely chop. Place in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Place the beef in a bowl with the cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar jack cheese, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix and stir until smooth and well combined.
- Chill until ready to serve. Garnish with green onion before serving.