These Breakfast Nachos are loaded with Ham, Egg, Cheese, Salsa, Sour Cream and Jalapenos. This Tex-Mex dish will give your next breakfast or brunch some south of the border flair! These would also be an awesome game day recipe and it’s great to feed a crowd!
ALSO CHECK OUT OUR 41 DELICIOUS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES!
These Breakfast Nachos are such a fun breakfast! And they are easy to make, and, in fact can mostly be made ahead of time for easy assembly in the morning! They are a great way to use leftovers and you really can’t go wrong with them! And, with this being cooked on a sheet pan with aluminum foil, cleanup is a cinch!
What Are Breakfast Nachos
My husband LOVES nachos! He used to have a rule that if he saw nachos on a menu at a restaurant, he would HAVE to get them. Well, nachos are on most menus, so, he was eating A LOT of nachos. I think he finally had to give up his rule!
These Breakfast Nachos have him SUPER excited. What are breakfast nachos? Just think of your classic, Tex-Mex inspired nachos, but instead of “taco fixings” pile on top of tortilla chips, you’ll load them with “breakfast fixings”!
What You Will Need For Breakfast Nachos
- TORTILLA CHIPS – Use whatever chips you like. Everyone has their own tastes, from thick and hearty chips to thin, crispy ones. For a slightly more hearty breakfast, you can also substitute the chips for tater tots. This would make them Breakfast Totchos! Yum!
- SHREDDED CHEESE – We used the Mexican Blended or “Taco Cheese”. But any cheese will work. Cheddar Cheese would work fine!
- EGGS – You’ll need to scramble your eggs with ham and then put them on the chips. Use just egg whites if this works better for your diet.
- MILK – We always scramble our eggs with a bit of milk to make them lighter and fluffier. We use 1/4 cup of milk. But if you want to use less or none at all, this recipe will still come out fine.
- CHOPPED HAM – We just used the chopped (diced) ham at the store. But you can dice your own. This is a great use for leftover ham you may have hanging around after the holidays!
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
- TOPPINGS – We used Salsa, sour cream and sliced jalapenos. Use low fat or nonfat sour cream if you want to lighten the dish up a bit. Or , use Greek Yogurt!
Notes and Variations
Here are a couple things to consider when making these Breakfast Nachos:
- Make sure you cook on the lower oven rack of the oven so that the cheese doesn’t burn.
- Definitely use FRESH jalapenos, not the canned ones.
- It doesn’t really matter what cheese you use. We used the “Mexican Blend” cheese.
- Do NOT forget to line the baking sheet. If you don’t the cheese will stick to the baking sheet. You could also bake these in a cast iron skillet!
- Other leftovers or ingredients to use in this recipe? Black beans, bacon, breakfast sausage, chorizo.
- You can make the egg mixture ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. That way, all you have to do is assemble the nachos and put them in the oven in the morning!
- Add some green onions for a garnish for some extra color and flavor. Or sliced Avocado, fresh cilantro, guacamole or diced tomatoes.
- Instead of scrambled eggs, you could fry them to your liking and put them on top. This gives it a pretty cool presentation.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Breakfast Nachos! The next time we host a party to watch our favorite sports teams team on game day, I definitely gonna put these out on the spread. It will be fun to have something a little bit different to offer the guest! Thanks for reading!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES USING LEFTOVER HAM? CHECK OUT:
- CROCKPOT CORN CHOWDER
- SLOW COOKER BLACK EYED PEAS
- HAM SALAD DIP
- HAM AND PICKLE DIP
- HAM AND CHEESE MACARONI SALAD
- SCALLOPED POTATOES AND HAM
- HAM, GREEN BEANS AND POTATOES
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped ham
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- fresh chopped jalapeno peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer half a bag of chips onto the bottom of the pan and top with half of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of chips and cheese. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Add eggs and milk to a skillet and beat well. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until eggs are halfway cooked. Add ham and continue cooking until eggs are set.
- Sprinkle eggs over chips and cheese. Serve topped with jalapenos, sour cream and salsa.
Sliced Avocado! Or Guacamole!
Instead of scrambled eggs, you could fry them to your liking and put them on top. This gives it a pretty cool presentation. Adding sour cream would be yummy too! Or, for a lower fat option, use some Greek Yogurt!